IGNORED

Different flex shafts for woods and irons???

Note: This thread is 4083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I play Titleist AP2 irons (custom fitted and I LOVE THEM!), 910D2 driver and Titleist Vokey wedges. I hit these well and I am happy with the way my game is progressing. I recently got myself a 910 H hybrid and on the swing monitor at golf galaxy i was told my swing speed with the driver is 100MPH and i'd be better off with a stiff shaft for the hybrid. So that's what I got. I was also advised to change my driver's shaft to a shift flex to gain distance.

Now at the driving range its hard for me to hit this brand new hybrid with a stiff shaft. I am hitting my driver just fine (by that i mean straight!) that has a regular shaft and getting about 220-230 yards. The guy at my driving range checked my swing speed using the Mizuno DNA system and found it to be about 82MPH when using irons.

My question is should I use a driver and hybrid with stiff shaft and irons with my usual regular shaft? Or should I stay with regular shaft for everything?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Titleist 910D2 10.5 degrees regular shaft

Titleist 910H stiff (PROBLEM CLUB!)

Titleist AP2 irons 5-9 regular flex (2 degrees flat)

Vokey wedges 48,52,56 degrees (2 degrees flat)

Nike Method putter (AMAZING!)

ball : Titleist ProV1

Hybrids are a tougher club to hit and you don't specify if you've had better results with other hybrids that had a regular flex shaft.  My guess is it's the combination of it being a hybrid and that the stiff flex is making you even less confident when you swing it.  The shaft stiffness shouldn't make the club tougher for you to hit, you might push your shots a bit more.  You should swing the hybrid like your irons (down on the ball).  Spend some time with it and ultimately you can swap out the shaft if you really feel it's an issue.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for your reply.

I have not been good with any hybrids! The big head of a hybrid is not to my liking at all. I thought it'd be easier than a 3 iron but its not for me. I will practice and see if it helps.

But i am not sure if its a good idea to have different flex clubs in a golf bag.

Your swing speed is very close to mine and I'm using stiff shafts in all my clubs.  As was stated in a different thread you posted in, shafts have a few variables that have to be considered beyond flex such as kick point and torque.  I first switched my driver to a stiff shaft while my irons were uniflex and my woods were regular flex so having different flex shafts in your bag is not a big issue if your driver swing speed is close to 100mph.  I've had some fitters tell me to stick with regular and others tell me up use stiff, for me I prefer to sacrifice some distance for accuracy.

Hybrids were tough for me, practice swinging them like your irons and use a nice smooth swing i.e. don't try to kill the ball.  I use the 910h 19* and it's become a very reliable club for me.  It's definitely one of the best hybrids out there right now and I've tried a number of them.

Originally Posted by smoothswing

Thanks for your reply.

I have not been good with any hybrids! The big head of a hybrid is not to my liking at all. I thought it'd be easier than a 3 iron but its not for me. I will practice and see if it helps.

But i am not sure if its a good idea to have different flex clubs in a golf bag.

Joe Paradiso

I have reg flex in my irons and stiff shaft in my hybrid and woods. Not a problem. I find I'm more consistent, especially with the driver, since I switched the shaft. SS is 95 average with my driver. However if you're hitting your woods ok, not sure why you'd change them. Hybrids can take some getting used to, particularly if you swing them like a wood. As newtogolf suggests, swing them like an iron and see if that makes a difference with the results you're getting, before you start making changes to your equipment. Good luck.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I have stiff flex irons and regular flex hybrids and woods. Don't know as I have an explanation for it other than I tried the iron set I bought with both regular and stiff flex shafts and had tighter dispersion and better distance with the stiff flex shafts. Woods were just the opposite. Tried both and the regular works better. I don't think I'll ever buy another club without testing it on a launch monitor first.

Steve

Quote:

I have stiff flex irons and regular flex hybrids and woods. Don't know as I have an explanation for it other than I tried the iron set I bought with both regular and stiff flex shafts and had tighter dispersion and better distance with the stiff flex shafts. ...

Conventional wisdom from the pre-2000 years: Middle HDCP golfers with decent swingspeed could use stiff shafts in irons (for control) and regular shafts in woods (for distance).  From a technology standpoint, there weren't that many different shafts to choose from in the 1970s and 1980s.

Best advice from recent years seems to be "go with what works." Hundreds of shafts to choose from, and the launch monitors allow us to fine-tune our shaft selection, assuming we have a fairly stable swing.

A local public course pro has gone the other way. He a little over 60 years old, and has regular flex in all his clubs except for: Driver, 3W and 3 iron. He says the stiff shafts give control to the longer clubs, which flex more during his swing. (His swing is very smooth and rhythmic).

Again, whatever works.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

i have stiffs in my driver/3W and 3h...rifle 6.5's in my irons and S300's in my wedges. should i be moving to x stiffs in my woods? (my iron accuracy is spot on, but i feel like my woods are always 'bendy' even as stiffs....please help? wedges i don't really mind being stiff since they're a bit heavier shaft, and are 'spin' clubs...any advice on the woods/hybrid?

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

• 11 months later...

Hi R11 driver

I have found exactly the same as you----I have R-flex woods and S-flex irons.  I used X flex throughout in my youth when I was a long hitter, but now I'm 71 and had to change. However, after a huge amount of experimentation ( I build clubs using Golfsmith components) I have found I need S shafts in my irons (Ben Hogan Apex 1999 blades ----(4) flex, probably because when contacting the ground, there is too much distortion of R shafts.  Like you, I use R shafts in the woods and hybrid, but I have found I have lost over 50 yards with the driver in the last 50 years, despite the better equipment today, and I find I cannot hit long graphite shafts any further than steel, so I have a Dynamic Gold R300 ( 44.5") steel shaft my Ping G2 11degree driver, and the same shaft in my 15 degree Callaway Big Bertha 3 wood.   Same shaft in my Taylor Made 19 degree hybrid.

I think this just shows that we should use whatever works, whatever its specification----and then take the shaft stickers off !!!

Best wishes....

If you struggle with all hybrids, you cant really blame it on the shaft.  I use stiff shafts in all my clubs because for me they are more consistent.  I used to play all regular flex and found that I had to swing really smooth and easy or else I would duck hook everything.  Now, with stiff shafts, even if I really go after the ball, my shots are still pretty straight.  My normal ballflight is a draw and the harder I swing, the bigger the draw gets and I find that with stiff shafts its easier for me to control the clubface.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Sorry, didn't give my club specs ---here they are:-

"Piel" tan leather bag.

Ping G2 driver with 44.5" Dynamic Gold R300 shaft                                              )

Callaway Big Bertha 3 wood (15 degrees) with 43" Dynamic Gold R300 shaft       )    All with orange knitted pompom covers.

Taylor Made 19 degree rescue with Dynamic Gold R300 shaft                             )

(Sometimes use the rescue, others I use the Tom Morris 1 iron)

1 iron = Tom Morris "Pro Flight" with Accles & Pollock stiff steel shaft --40"  (Made for me in St. Andrews in 1964 when playing in the "Boyd Quaich" Tournament)

3 to PW = Ben Hogan Apex (1999) blades with "4" shaft (stiiff steel)

Wilson Sandy Andy (R61) Beryllium Copper 54 degree wedge       (

Snake Eyes forged 60 degree wedge (bent to 58 degrees)             (      both DG R300 shafts, tipped 1" more than usual for these clubs

Ram "Tom Watson" forged heel-shafted blade putter (almost identical to Wilson 8802)

Now use "Grasshopper" Senior Pro electric buggy with full weather protection (essential in Britain---the rain hardly ever stops !)

• 5 weeks later...
My woods are tipped out stiff with regular flex irons, I do not recommend it. I really have to switch my style of play from woods to irons, still looking for stiff irons though.

In my  stand bag

:titleist:910d2 8.5*

speedline fast 12 3w 

910h 17* 

:titleist: 712 cb/mb 3-p

:mizuno: MP-T4 56* 60*

:nike: method 001 

:srixon: tour yellow z star xv 

Note: This thread is 4083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!