IGNORED

Which club would you get?

Note: This thread is 4517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which club would you get with my $300 gift card?

• Scotty Cameron Kombi putter $299
    • R11 Hybrid $189
    • 52 & 56 Calloway Wedges $70 a piece
    • R11 3 wood $199

Nothing wrong with TM club wise, but most people on here hate on them due to their image and marketing. Also, they are the preferred brand of wannabe hackers, it seems. Don't let anyone be jealous of your shiny new clubs. And hook me up with whoever keeps giving you gift certificates!

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

Nothing wrong with TM club wise, but most people on here hate on them due to their image and marketing. Also, they are the preferred brand of wannabe hackers, it seems. Don't let anyone be jealous of your shiny new clubs. And hook me up with whoever keeps giving you gift certificates!

Gotta thank the wifey and the kids for that. The funny thing is, my wife is the one that always buys me stuff (Driver, shoes, etc...) Yet, she's the one that gets an attitude everytime I go play. Go figure..

3.0 pushcart
52 & 56
putter, irons, and woods

same reason why you give her attitude if she talks about jewelry when you recently bought her a necklace, ring, etc. lol i'd personally get rid of the 60, pick up a new putter since it doesn't seem as tho you have confidence in the one you currently game. Also, i'd save whatever is left and put it towards a better 3w that you get fit for...regardless of what brand it is. i've heard great things about the RBZ taylormade that's coming out, however, i gotta say i've heard great things about the 910F titleist and also the adams fairways...just my .02. either way, best of luck with the new sticks!

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Putter would be the way to go.

Try out all of them out there and DO NOT miss out on the Nike Method 001 putter. Expensive, but for me It was something I loved as soon as took the setup.

The scotty didnt even come close.

Originally Posted by smoothswing

Try out all of them out there and DO NOT miss out on the Nike Method 001 putter. Expensive, but for me It was something I loved as soon as took the setup.

Putters are completely personal.

Problem is, a lot of golfers are sheep who follow what others do.

Brand name should not even be a consideration. All OEMs make excellent clubs.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by smoothswing

I don't see a 001. I see Nike Method, Nike Method Core, & Nike Method Core Drone Mallet.

3.0 pushcart
52 & 56
putter, irons, and woods

Originally Posted by mcintoshmc

You all have given me a lot to think about. I don't use the 3 wood because I couldn't it when I first started playing 2 years ago, and haven't bothered with it since. Although, my playing partners tell me they can't imagine life without theirs, so I may be missing out. I'm a consistent 2 putter with my old wilson, but I really like those mallet putters i've used at golfsmiths. I really would like to get those wedges, but that wouldn't leave me with much after that, and I can seriously buy those on my own. I'm thinking about the hybrid because I can hit those far better than my 4 or 5 iron. Although I can be surgical with my 4 iron on a punch out...lol. The RBZ line interests me because of all the good reviews I have read, and I'm a "sucker" for all new lines, and yes I am a Taylor Made fan. I waited in line for the very first iphone on day one.

Honestly I'd worry about 1 of your 2 gaps at the moment. Putter is a definite IMO, but either your wedges or something between driver and 3hybrid. As I've said before, I think the wedges will be better for you, as you typically hit more shots with them each round. BUT, if your considering buying them separately, I'd spend the remaining money to fill the gap in the front of your bag.

If you struggle with the 3 wood, try out a higher lofted wood. 16-17* 4 woods have similar distance to the 3 wood, but easier to hit. 18-19* 5 woods have a little less distance but are typically even easier. But you also said you like hybrids more. What about a 2 hybrid? Something in the 16-18* range to lessen that gap between driver and your 3h.

Quote:

I was really thinking about that too. What is the avg. distance you can expect for a 3 wood?

Depends on loft, material of club, swing speed, ball, etc...For me, I typically hit my strong 3 about 15-20yds shorter than my driver. And my 5 wood about 15-20yds shorter than my 3.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Get the Scotty putter - it will be the one club that you wont even be tempted to replace in a couple of years (and if you did, it will hold it's value.)

Especially since you would cringe at spending $300 of your own cash on a putter. I am sure you have no problem pulling $100 out of your pocket to buy a wedge.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I'd say the 2 Callaway wedges in your poll for $140 and a decent putter, which you should be able to pick up for around $100 (Cleveland for example that was pointed out earlier). Leaves you with some $$ and time so you can figure out - lower lofted hybrid or 3 wood. Since you hit you current hybrid a good distance, I'd say you don't have as much concern on your long game.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I agree with your friends completely about the 3w. Up until the last two years I've been horrid with mine. Once I put a lot of practice time in with it I've become very accurate with it. I must admit a solid 3w off the deck feels oh so sweet.

I really don't get the TM hate on here. What does it affect anyone on here as to what they do or how they market. No one is forcing you to buy it. If you hate the white look then don't buy it.  Who cares if it's pink, green or blue. If it attracts buyers then great for them. I've played all kinds of club makes and TM is what I like best.  Also why do you care if some people rush out and buy the new models the day they come out?  It's not your money. If it makes them happy and they think they play better then more power to them.

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

Quote:

Plenty of good putters under $100 (Cleveland classics, Ping Karsten, Odyssey). I'd do that first.

Cameron and Odyssey putter sites have an online selection tool which asks you about your putting preferences and problems, and then recommends three putters you might try.

Along with the putter, consider a putter fitting. Ping has also developed an iPhone app (free) for putter stroke analysis which some of the golf shops are using as part of putter fittings. Putter fitters look at things as impact loft, head weight, shaft length and lie angle in helping you tweak a putter. If you buy a new putter, often the fittings are free. Also, consider used name-brand putters. Lots of them ended up as trade-ins before the first season was over.

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

... OP said he gets on well with his 60 wedge but doesn't like his 52 or 56. It's likely then that the bounce on those two is incorrect for the courses he plays and they should be replaced or ground as needed. ...

OP doesn't give much details on "problems" with wedges. Are the grooves worn out? Does he have a set-up problem? He needs to define the problem.

Golf shops can also do wedge fittings. You hit some shots off an impact board, and see where the sole of the wedge makes contact. This determines what wedge bounce/sole grind is right for your swing...  next you consider normal course conditions as an added factor. Testing results aside, most pros recommend having at least one wedge with bounce which goes against your tendencies: If you have mostly low-bounce wedges, have at least one high-bounce for flexibility on shots.

As others have hinted, this is great time for wedge-hunting. Lots of never-been-hit wedges from a couple of years back are for sale, sometimes two-for-one.

Fairway Wood? Since you hit your 3h a long way, you might consider a 4W. Easier to hit than a 3W, and still gives good distance.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by meenman

Get the Scotty putter - it will be the one club that you wont even be tempted to replace in a couple of years (and if you did, it will hold it's value.)

Especially since you would cringe at spending $300 of your own cash on a putter. I am sure you have no problem pulling $100 out of your pocket to buy a wedge.

I agree with this one. Wedges wear out and they're on sale somewhere all the time, but you'll only buy a $300 putter once.  It wouldn't be on my list, but people probably question spending $50-100 every couple years getting a 20 years old set of blades "tuned up". In the end we all find our own unique ways to spend money.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

you'll only buy a $300 putter once.

Not from what I've seen... A number of people on this very site have a number of Scottys. They love it for a while, until it starts acting up. Then a few more 300$ putters come along.

In My Bag:

Ok, everyone don't hate me, but I went to golfsmith after work last night and putted around for an hour. I tried the Scotty, Nike Method's, Anser, and a host of other putters, and I went with a club that wasn't even on my list because I didnt necessarily like the look of the putter. Let me tell you, this putter felt great! in my opinion, and I'm sure many will disagree, but the TaylorMade Ghost Tour Putter felt way better than anyother putter I tried. I know I may be a homer when it comes to TM, but I sware to you, I had no plan on getting a TM putter, and only picked it up as an after thought because I couldnt decide which to get. So, I got the ghost for $170, and will keep the rest on the card until I can put a little with it and pick up something else. I can pick up my wedges anytime I want basically, so I will do that at a later date.

3.0 pushcart
52 & 56
putter, irons, and woods

Congratulations, not listening to any of us was probably the smartest decision. As long as you tried it out yourself and decided on your own, you made a good decision.

In My Bag:

[U][/U] As long as you love it, you made the right choice. Good luck. Let us know what else you ended up with.....cheers :-D

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

The putter is probably the one club that is completely personal preference. If it looks good to you, if it feels good, if the ball goes in the hole, then that's the right club. I build clubs for people but will go out of my way NOT to build a putter because they can't try it first.

Steve

Note: This thread is 4517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!