Jump to content
IGNORED

I Hope Matt Every Wins The Damn Sony Open!


Note: This thread is 2181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

  • Administrator

Originally Posted by deasy55

Johnson was arrested for his DUI.


I tend to choose my words carefully. Johnson was not "arrested and suspended" from the PGA Tour.

The simple version of my opinion is that this is not a big deal, and you guys making a big deal out of it are doing more to harm Every's reputation (by talking about this - I didn't even watch the round or the interview) than Kelly did by asking a simple question that she was well within reasonable bounds to ask.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

INSERT RANT - My GF and I were sitting down to dinner, watching live coverage of the Sony Open.  They flip to the player interview of the guy leading the tournament, a guy I had never heard anyth

You really have to question the PGA Tour when they give a 3 month ban to someone for a minor case that was dropped about him and some friends being in possession of weed yet the numerous

I hope he wins the turney and in his post interview says "stick this in your pipe and smoke it Kelly".

[quote name="Oninreg" url="/t/55132/i-hope-matt-every-wins-the-damn-sony-open/18#post_672566"] This interview was targeting one issue with Tighlman's/Golf Channel's intent from the get go. To probe into Matt Every's blemished past.And having him sitting in that chair on a Friday atop the leaderboard was a perfect opportunity... There really was'nt any talk about the round he had or how that (honkin) putter was working. Obviously caught off guard (Every) & obviously saying all the "wrong" things in alot of viewers eyes. Apparently the other half side with Every not Faldo,Golf Channel & in all likelihood Tim Finchem.

Yeah, I'm sure they set out on wednesday with one objective: to interview Matt Every. [quote name="deasy55" url="/t/55132/i-hope-matt-every-wins-the-damn-sony-open#post_672487"] Matt Every has gained a fan in me and I have lost any of the remaining respect I had for Kelly Tilghman. I wonder the next time Tiger is leading will she bring up Thanksgiving 2009? Or if Vijay is leading will she bring up the cheating stories from the Asian Tour in the 80s? Dustin Johnson's DUI? Phil Mickelson rumours of his illegitimate child in Ohio? The list goes on. [/quote] Every is different from Woods and Johnson because they both admitted and apologized. Johnson was arrested and spent a night in jail. He's different from Vijay because Vijay has been asked for 25 years about the cheating thing, and he's established that there's nothing new any reporter will get out of him. And he's different from Phil because he doesn't have millions apron millions of adoring fans, and he's not one of the PGA Tour's top draws. Maybe that's not right, but it's the truth. I'm not vilifying Every, but Tilghman asked a pretty simple question, about a topic Every should have known would come up. [/quote] Jamo, I don't think you should take the post quite so literally - clearly they weren't planning the interview pre tournament, but when the opportunity presented itself, they were ready. Also read a news story saying DJ was released 22 minutes after being brought to the facility, rather than spending the night in jail. The other thing, Every is not exactly a household name. It could have been a great moment for him (even though he's not the smoothest guy in an interview) but GC chose to take it in a completely inappropriate direction.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, I don't think any one this is particularly important. If you've done dumb things (or even been accused of doing dumb things), and you're a public figure begin interviewed for basically the first time, it's going to come up. [quote name="Jmdmbike" url="/t/55132/i-hope-matt-every-wins-the-damn-sony-open/36#post_672590"]Also read a news story saying DJ was released 22 minutes after being brought to the facility, rather than spending the night in jail.[/quote] [URL=http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2011/02/15/1982843/golfer-pleads-to-reckless-driving.html]The article[/URL] I read on Johnson said nine hours, but maybe MyrtleBeachOnline isn't the best place for accuracy in news. [quote name="Jmdmbike" url="/t/55132/i-hope-matt-every-wins-the-damn-sony-open/36#post_672590"]The other thing, Every is not exactly a household name. It could have been a great moment for him (even though he's not the smoothest guy in an interview) but GC chose to take it in a completely inappropriate direction. [/quote] He was leading the second round of a tournament that few of the Tour's best players would even think of playing. C'mon. He should have known full well that the first PGA Tour interview he was going to have would be about this.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It was the facilities web site that said 22 minutes, picked up in a number of articles. Not important. Hope Every's next interview is on Sunday afternoon.
Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the interview.

Honestly? Every came across as stoned during the interview.

Faldo said afterwards that Every needs a publicist. But beyond that, he could have simply said, before the interview, let's only talk about my golf today, or...declined the interview altogether. Nobody forced him to talk to Tilghman. And further, he had to know the suspension may come up. If he didn't he's pretty naive & he will learn.

But to criticize golf channel or Tilghman about asking him about his suspension? It's relevant, because it's part of his story. It would be like interviewing Eric Compton without talking about the heart transplants.

It's not the media's fault for asking questions, gang. That's what an interview is - asking questions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How many people knew or spoke of Matt Every before that interview?  My guess is not many outside of his family and circle of friends.  I doubt he was picked in very many fantasy golf leagues.  I bet you find Jimmy Hoffa before you find a post regarding Matt Every (before this one and the Sony discussion thread).  If you aren't a die hard junkie for tour golf, chances are, you didn't even know who Matt Every was.  So his introduction to the golf community was Kelly Tilghman roasting him on a mistake he made a year ago?  Was Matt Every and his mistake less relevant before he was leading this tournament?  You bet.  Nobody cared about Matt Every because, who the hell is Matt Every.  Now that he is winning a tournament, there is a story there, we should push it!

Hey, yeah, I am also leading a full field tour event featuring some of the top players in the game, did you see that?

Like I said, I hope he wins the Sony Open, so when Golf Channel decides to interview him again, he can say, "can we talk about my golf ability now, instead of my shortcomings that you decided to grind out of me?"

Link to post
Share on other sites

chefdiddy, what did you expect from the media - to research this kid, see he was suspended & decide 'oh we can't ask him about that'...? That's not how they work.

You don't have to like that, nor does Every. That's why he has the choice to not talk to them. And I bet from now on, he will think twice before doing do. Live and learn. But I don't really have any sympathy for him. I hope he plays well and wins, but it has nothing to do with how he was 'treated' by the media. He was treated fairly.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by zipazoid

chefdiddy, what did you expect from the media - to research this kid, see he was suspended & decide 'oh we can't ask him about that'...? That's not how they work.

You don't have to like that, nor does Every. That's why he has the choice to not talk to them. And I bet from now on, he will think twice before doing do. Live and learn. But I don't really have any sympathy for him. I hope he plays well and wins, but it has nothing to do with how he was 'treated' by the media. He was treated fairly.

I realize that he didn't have to conduct the interview, but this isn't freaking 20/20 or Dateline.  This isn't the O'Reilly Factor or Roy Firestone.  People tune in to watch golf, the highlights of their favorite players round and to hear what the players say about their round afterwards and how they played.  Like I said, if Golf Channel wanted to push the story of his arrest and suspension, I can think of about 100 other settings that would have been a touch better suited than the kids first big breakout on the big tour.  I mean, my God, he was suspended for 3 months.  I am pretty sure he addressed his problems during that time.  Why drudge it up after he went out and played a hell of a round to lead this tournament?  Golf Channel wasn't talking to Robert Garrigus before he had a decent year on tour last year.  Golf Channel wouldn't be talking to Eric Compton 1 on 1 if he hadn't got his tour card for 2012.

If Golf Channel wanted to give Every a 1 on 1 situation with Tim Rosaforte, like they did Garrigus and Compton, than that's another thing.  Every should expect to be asked about it and I am sure he would know about it since it is a 1 on 1 situation.  But to ask then, in that situation?  That's bull.  At it's best.  And Kelly asked.  Was it a smooth answer?  No.  But as a journalist, she should have seen the interview was going NOWHERE with her current direction and switched it up.  She failed just as much as Every did.   Had Every sat down and said on camera, "have you rebounded from the Tiger/lynching thing" and "why aren't you in the booth calling golf anymore", the blogosphere would have lit up calling the guy a prick for digging up old bones.  Truth.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's Matt Every interviewed on the Nationwide tour. He's fidgety, nonchalant, not making good eye contact, not engaging the camera. He's a professional athlete and could benefit from some speaking/communication lessons. [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvLQ3xjKyhI[/VIDEO]
Link to post
Share on other sites

So, by your reasoning, the setting wasn't right to ask such a question. That such questions should have been left to another venue or another time?

If the answer is yes, then the only thing Tilghman/GC is guilty of is being indelicate and/or bad timing.

Look, bottom line is, it's fair game unless Every says it's not. And again, feel free to not like it - I know you don't. But that doesn't mean it's unfair.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt Every is a pro golfer, his life is out there for public comment and review.  If he doesn't like it or isn't comfortable answering tough questions in front of the cameras he should turn in his pro card and get a regular job.

This was really the first chance the press (GC) has had a chance to question him.  It was a perfect opportunity for him to explain his position or simply state "that's a part of my life I've put in the past and choose not to comment on it now".  His response and awkwardness was more damaging than the question.  Faldo's right he needs a publicist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by zipazoid

So, by your reasoning, the setting wasn't right to ask such a question. That such questions should have been left to another venue or another time?

If the answer is yes, then the only thing Tilghman/GC is guilty of is being indelicate and/or bad timing.

Look, bottom line is, it's fair game unless Every says it's not. And again, feel free to not like it - I know you don't. But that doesn't mean it's unfair.


That is my argument and reason for discussing this.  The timing is crap!  I don't fault Kelly and GC for asking the question.  I have a problem of WHEN they asked the question.  Matt and his family have already dealt with his problems and have probably worked pretty hard to rebuilt his career and confidence.  He finally goes out, plays a good round of golf, begins the process of repairing his career and BLAM, it is tossed back into his lap.  They totally diminished his round of golf by proceeding on a witch hunt on the guy.  WHO CARES?!?  Obviously, he has done his time and paid for his mistakes, or he wouldn't be BACK on the PGA Tour and leading a tournament.  It's like asking Jordan about the death of his dad after he drained that J over Byron Russell of the Jazz.  Or asking Tiger exactly how man woman he had an affair with after he drained the putt to win the Chevron.  It's just tasteless.  And as a "journalist", yes, you have a set of guidelines you don't cross.  Unless you want to talk to yourself.  If you want to be Barbara Walters or Dr. Phil, go be one of those guys, on another network.  I don't watch golf so we can delve into the faults and problems of the guys currently winning the tournament.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

Originally Posted by cheffdiddy_45

How many people knew or spoke of Matt Every before that interview? My guess is not many outside of his family and circle of friends.

More than you think. He was on Big Break , for example, and I specifically recall his arrest/suspension.

Originally Posted by cheffdiddy_45

I bet you find Jimmy Hoffa before you find a post regarding Matt Every (before this one and the Sony discussion thread).

Well that was kind of a dumb thing to say: http://thesandtrap.com/t/46669/the-big-break-indian-wells/54#post_607363 . I didn't even have to leave this forum. Not everyone is as ignorant (or perhaps new to the game?) about Every's history as you. Others have heard of Matt Every before, and one could argue folks at Golf Channel would be especially aware of him seeing as how he was on one of their originally produced shows.

Originally Posted by cheffdiddy_45

So his introduction to the golf community was Kelly Tilghman roasting him on a mistake he made a year ago?

Again, if asking a simple fact-based question is "roasting" someone then I don't know how you don't kill yourself most days of the week. I was asked more difficult questions when I donated blood a week or two ago.

Originally Posted by cheffdiddy_45

I realize that he didn't have to conduct the interview, but this isn't freaking 20/20 or Dateline.  This isn't the O'Reilly Factor or Roy Firestone. People tune in to watch golf, the highlights of their favorite players round and to hear what the players say about their round afterwards and how they played.

Look, though I'll gladly admit some people tune in for those reasons, they're in the minority. Many people like to know the people behind the golf scores. Though golfers are a bit too robotic for my tastes, the fact is fans root for the people playing the game, not just what they shoot. John Daly had fans because of who he was, not based purely on his golf.

Just because you didn't know about Matt Every doesn't mean everyone did. The question was fair, and again, you're bringing more light to Every's arrest/suspension by continuing to talk about it than the simple, obvious question Kelly asked.

Originally Posted by cheffdiddy_45

Golf Channel wasn't talking to Robert Garrigus before he had a decent year on tour last year. Golf Channel wouldn't be talking to Eric Compton 1 on 1 if he hadn't got his tour card for 2012.

Uhm, both of those people have had several stories done on them - far more than "one person asking one question." Compton in particular was the subject of several stories - even when he had little to no status on any Tour - and Robert Garrigus has a section called " overcoming substance abuse " on his freakin' Wikipedia page, and typing his name in Google clearly demonstrates that what you say isn't terribly accurate:

Screen Shot 2012-01-14 at 6.51.44 pm.PNG

Originally Posted by cheffdiddy_45

The timing is crap!

Nah. Again, when would you rather he be asked: after the second round or after the fourth should he finish well? Kelly asking when she did gets him over the hump of having to speak about the incident publicly so everyone can move on. Except folks like yourself are making it drag out.

Originally Posted by cheffdiddy_45

Matt and his family have already dealt with his problems and have probably worked pretty hard to rebuilt his career and confidence.


You know this for a fact? What part of "it was like a little break" and his general "I don't feel like I did anything wrong, oh well, other guys do worse stuff than me" makes you think he "worked pretty hard" to do anything?

Originally Posted by cheffdiddy_45

They totally diminished his round of golf by proceeding on a witch hunt on the guy.  WHO CARES?!?

Again, a single question is a "witch hunt?" My goodness.

And who cares? Uhm, for starters... you do. For seconders, the producers and whatnot at Golf Channel. For thirders, other golf fans who recognized Every's name.

Originally Posted by cheffdiddy_45

It's like asking Jordan about the death of his dad after he drained that J over Byron Russell of the Jazz.

Michael Jordan is still asked about his dad's death . I specifically remember that GOLF reporters were asking him about it shortly after Tiger's dad passed away because Tiger and Jordan are friends. Geez.


Originally Posted by newtogolf

Matt Every is a pro golfer, his life is out there for public comment and review.  If he doesn't like it or isn't comfortable answering tough questions in front of the cameras he should turn in his pro card and get a regular job.

This was really the first chance the press (GC) has had a chance to question him.  It was a perfect opportunity for him to explain his position or simply state "that's a part of my life I've put in the past and choose not to comment on it now".  His response and awkwardness was more damaging than the question.  Faldo's right he needs a publicist.


Bingo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by iacas

More than you think. He was on Big Break, for example, and I specifically recall his arrest/suspension.

Well that was kind of a dumb thing to say: http://thesandtrap.com/t/46669/the-big-break-indian-wells/54#post_607363 . I didn't even have to leave this forum. Not everyone is as ignorant (or perhaps new to the game?) about Every's history as you. Others have heard of Matt Every before, and one could argue folks at Golf Channel would be especially aware of him seeing as how he was on one of their originally produced shows.

Again, if asking a simple fact-based question is "roasting" someone then I don't know how you don't kill yourself most days of the week. I was asked more difficult questions when I donated blood a week or two ago.

Look, though I'll gladly admit some people tune in for those reasons, they're in the minority. Many people like to know the people behind the golf scores. Though golfers are a bit too robotic for my tastes, the fact is fans root for the people playing the game, not just what they shoot. John Daly had fans because of who he was, not based purely on his golf.

Just because you didn't know about Matt Every doesn't mean everyone did. The question was fair, and again, you're bringing more light to Every's arrest/suspension by continuing to talk about it than the simple, obvious question Kelly asked.

Uhm, both of those people have had several stories done on them - far more than "one person asking one question." Compton in particular was the subject of several stories - even when he had little to no status on any Tour - and Robert Garrigus has a section called "overcoming substance abuse" on his freakin' Wikipedia page, and typing his name in Google clearly demonstrates that what you say isn't terribly accurate:


As I said, the AVERAGE golf fan, doesn't know who Matt Every is.  The AVERAGE golf fan, isn't watching Big Break.  The AVERAGE golf fan, the season begins at the Masters and ends at the FedEx Cup Tour Championship, if not before because of football season.  Hell, the AVERAGE fan now thinks Matt Every is a dope head that lucked into leading a golf tournament.


So, the world is going to blame ME for saying Matt Every's interview was off base, if he doesn't rebound from it?  Um. Ok.  Pretty sure that no one (Golf Digest, Golf, Golf World, Golf Channel) is combing the Sand Trap for 30 something Missourians thoughts on Matt Every.  At least, no one that matters that is.  I posted on Facebook earlier that I wasn't going to stand in line to meet Cardinal great, David Freese.  Will I also be responsible for him possibly batting .245 this year in an injury plagued season?  C'mon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

Originally Posted by cheffdiddy_45

As I said, the AVERAGE golf fan, doesn't know who Matt Every is. The AVERAGE golf fan, isn't watching Big Break. The AVERAGE golf fan, the season begins at the Masters and ends at the FedEx Cup Tour Championship, if not before because of football season. Hell, the AVERAGE fan now thinks Matt Every is a dope head that lucked into leading a golf tournament.

So if the AVERAGE golf fan thinks the season starts with The Masters, then you've got nothing to worry about since they weren't watching this tournament (and look at the ratings - the average golf fan IS NOT watching this tournament). Only the rabid golf fans, like us, watch events like this. And as rabid golf fans, we're a bit more likely to recall that Matt Every was on Big Break and had some sort of run-in or problem in the not-too-distant past.

Oh, and the first appearance of the word "average" is in the post I quoted. You've not said "average" golf fan prior to that post, minutes ago. Oops.

But hey, that's okay. Gloss over the facts. Make personal comments about me or other posters when we point out problems with your statements. Found Jimmy Hoffa yet?

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by cheffdiddy_45

As I said, the AVERAGE golf fan, doesn't know who Matt Every is.  The AVERAGE golf fan, isn't watching Big Break.  The AVERAGE golf fan, the season begins at the Masters and ends at the FedEx Cup Tour Championship, if not before because of football season.  Hell, the AVERAGE fan now thinks Matt Every is a dope head that lucked into leading a golf tournament.

So, the world is going to blame ME for saying Matt Every's interview was off base, if he doesn't rebound from it?  Um. Ok.  Pretty sure that no one (Golf Digest, Golf, Golf World, Golf Channel) is combing the Sand Trap for 30 something Missourians thoughts on Matt Every.  At least, no one that matters that is.  I posted on Facebook earlier that I wasn't going to stand in line to meet Cardinal great, David Freese.  Will I also be responsible for him possibly batting .245 this year in an injury plagued season?  C'mon.  You might as well say, "I don't like what you are talking about, so shut it".  Given your responses, it appears that anyone having an opinion other than your own strokes you the wrong way.  Like I said, it's all good, I deal with your type all the time.


You say in one post you are a political operative, whatever that means. In other walks of life when you condescendingly say to someone "I deal with your type all the time" do they normally react positively?  Post that little gem I doubt whether I would take much notice of what you said.

Yu also mentond you iked the discussion yet when someone disagrees you accuse them of getting personal. FWIW I agreed totally with iacas's post and I am a golf fan who lives thousands of miles from the US.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 2181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasfeb21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Why does Rory struggle with consistency?
    • I would say it depends on how the 3W distance works with the length of the holes he is going to be playing. If there are par 4s around 430 for example I think he would be foolish not to carry a club that enabled him to get there in 2. Agree however that flexibility goes up drastically if not carrying putter and with the tournament several weeks away there is theoretically enough time to get comfortable with using a low lofted metalwood or bladed wedge. Really would be ideal to know the course to help strategize.
    • i would suggest a more lofted fairway wood or hybrid since a 3 wood needs a good lie to be hit off the fairway.  If you are in the rough or in a bad lie, then the 6 iron would be your only choice.  A 5 wood might be shorter but is more flexible and adaptable in the types of lies you can play it from.  The iron for me would be anything from a 6 to 8 iron depending on your comfort and distance.  The wedge you should consider whether you can play a slightly less lofted wedge, like a gap wedge maybe.  However, the less loft you have the more skill you need in playing different shots.  Hitting a sand wedge is easier but it does mean most of your shots around and close to the green will be high lofted shots. The putter is the one club where I question whether you truly need it.  If you can putt with something like the wood/hybrid in your bag, that gives you far greater options and flexibility.  However, it would need practice since we rarely putt with any other club. In my case a 4 club choice would be 4 hybrid, 7 iron, PW and SW/LW depending on course conditions.  I would putt with the hybrid and use that for most tee shots.  On my home course, there are maybe two holes where I couldn't reach a green in regulation with those clubs.   Essentially long par 4's where I need to hit driver off the tee.
    • Are the 512 replies to this topic about Rory being overrated or has this become a Rory Catch all topic? If the latter, the topic title should maybe reflect it. Good to see him win again. His first since 2019. 2020 wasn’t his best year and an up-and-down 2021 so far with missing the cut one week and being top 10 the next.  But that has been Rory all along and maybe what spurred this topic: his inconsistent performance. One week he’s hitting it as well as anyone has and the next he’s out of it and struggling. His talent is undeniable, but inconsistency is keeping him down.
    • I'm not an expert but the swing in the video seemed like you did not bring the upper body around quickly enough. Is it possible your focus on not firing the shoulder right away is causing too much lag there? Swing is about tempo so too slow can be an error just like too fast.  
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. dhen9
      dhen9
      (43 years old)
    2. Dormie1360
      Dormie1360
      (65 years old)
    3. GolferLee
      GolferLee
      (37 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...