Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bluenoser67

Ten Finger Grip

23 posts in this topic

I have always used the Ten finger grip.

I play to a +1.3 handicap so it has served me pretty well.

The question I had was whether anyone else who played the ten finger and then switched found a great improvement or maybe they found it made there game worse.

As you can tell I'm thinking about switching to an overlap but would love to get anybody's opionion on the move since part of me thinks if it aint broke dont fix it.

Thanks

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

If you play to a legit +0.5 to +1.3, why the hell would you change your grip?!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades


When I reach +1, I plan on switching to left handed.



Originally Posted by mdl

If you play to a legit +0.5 to +1.3, why the hell would you change your grip?!



1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely. Why would you change if you're that good?

The only difference I found when I moved from ten finger to overlap is that I have an easier time knowing where my hands are in relation to each other as there are more 'markers' (knuckles, seams on the glove etc) with an overlap. With ten finger I found myself occasionally having the right hand a little to strong or weak or varying between the two.

+0.5 to +1.3 though, don't change. Ever.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news - I too use the 10 finger grip - never heard of anybody that good using it (it usually gets talked down on) ... this gives me confidence.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the compliments guys.  Yeah I never have had a lesson so I just picked up the club as a kid with the baseball grip and went from there.

I read in one of Harvey Pennicks Books that Tommy Armour Senior said that the ten finger grip should be taught to all amateurs because it promotes a stronger more assured grip.

Think I stick with it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the ten-finger and went to the range yesterday and hit about 100 balls with the overlap.  It felt foreign to me and I guess that If I want to change it will take some time.  Hell, life is short enough.  I think I'll stay with what I know.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

somebody's got to make a name for it, might as well be you.  hope you don't switch.  i use the 10-finger and have tinkered with the others, they all make me feel like i have less control of the club.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started out with the 10-finger and then switched to the interlock.  I found the interlock to be a much more secure grip that did a better job of locking my hands together.  Usually you only want to use the 10-finger if you have small hands or arent very strong.

The vast majority of tour pros use either the interlock or overlap grip.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Bluenoser67

I have always used the Ten finger grip.

I play to a +1.3 handicap so it has served me pretty well.

The question I had was whether anyone else who played the ten finger and then switched found a great improvement or maybe they found it made there game worse.

As you can tell I'm thinking about switching to an overlap but would love to get anybody's opionion on the move since part of me thinks if it aint broke dont fix it.

Thanks


granted I am a beginner, but I have tried switching between grip styles on the range and on the course and for the life of me I cant see any difference in what happens with the ball...it does the exact same thing with all 3 grip types.

The only reason I stick with the standard overlapping is that the split grip as someone called it to me, makes me think about my right hand too much. And the interlocking grip hurts the hell out of a couple of my fingers after a while. The overlapping is just more comfortable for me.

If youre playing that good I personally wouldnt change it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by TitleistWI

I started out with the 10-finger and then switched to the interlock.  I found the interlock to be a much more secure grip that did a better job of locking my hands together.  Usually you only want to use the 10-finger if you have small hands or arent very strong.

The vast majority of tour pros use either the interlock or overlap grip.



Interlocking definitely seems to have a much better hold on the club. I have long fingers and for some reason they hurt like hell after a round if I use interlocking. I wish they didnt because I tried that grip for a while and loved it except for the pain afterward.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Golfs-for-Fun

Interlocking definitely seems to have a much better hold on the club. I have long fingers and for some reason they hurt like hell after a round if I use interlocking. I wish they didnt because I tried that grip for a while and loved it except for the pain afterward.



You could try the overlap and see how that works for you.  It offers as much grip security as the interlock but your hands arent quite as locked together.  You might want to stick with the interlock though, it could be that the muscles in your hand simply arent used to being locked together like that and they just need some time to develop and get stronger.

Ive got pretty strong forearms and hands due to doing factory work and playing golf almost every day, so it doesnt bother me but I could see someone who has more of an office job not being as strong as I am and it bothering their hands.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the mechanical difference between the 3 types of grips being discussed (baseball, overlap, interlock)? I understand it's preference, but there has to be a pro and con to each one depending on your golf game. For example, I've heard before the people that hook use interlock because it's harder to get their hands through and doesn't let them hook as easily...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if there is much difference mechanically in the swing. I think its mostly to do with feel. I think that feel effects the swing differently for each person.

For me if i tried a 10 finger grip, it would feel like my hands have more freedom, especially the right hand. Then if i move to the overlap, grans a bit less freedom to the right hand. Finally the interlocking is the most restrictive on the right hand. This is what i feel in the swing for me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by JohnQVegas

What is the mechanical difference between the 3 types of grips being discussed (baseball, overlap, interlock)? I understand it's preference, but there has to be a pro and con to each one depending on your golf game. For example, I've heard before the people that hook use interlock because it's harder to get their hands through and doesn't let them hook as easily...

From what I was always taught, 10-finger is best if you have weaker or small hands because it allows you to get your fingers around the grip better but it can be bad because it does a poor job of locking your hands together so that they work together.

Overlap is a good option because it isnt quite as firm as the interlock, so its easier to release the club.  Of course, that can be a bad thing if you tend to hook the ball because its easier to release the club too soon, shut the face and hook the ball.

Interlock is a good option because it really locks your hands together and makes them work together but it can make it more difficult to release the club.

IMO, there isnt a huge differrence between interlock and overlap and its really more a matter of personal preference.  Ive used both in the past and IMO its really more a matter of feel.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might have to agree with over lap to interlocking. I think overlap is a bit less restrictive, that interlocking, but not by much. Not sure on the whole bigger hands deal. Unless you have really really small hands, you should be able to find a golf grip that fits.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades



Originally Posted by saevel25

I might have to agree with over lap to interlocking. I think overlap is a bit less restrictive, that interlocking, but not by much. Not sure on the whole bigger hands deal. Unless you have really really small hands, you should be able to find a golf grip that fits.



I was always taught that 10-finger is better for women and kids for that reason.  I tried it and actually used it when I first started playing golf but found that it allowed my hands to work independently too much.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started with 10-finger because I liked how secure the pinkie on the right hand made the club feel....have yet to find a reason to switch....

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • 7/25 - after gym this morning did my morning grip, stance, take aways; head still, focussing on LOW POINT, with good weight shift.  Building a lot of confidence over this month with the 5-min daily challenge...should have done this years ago. 
    • Yes, absolutely agree with you. The thing is, two of the guys I was playing with were proper single figure handicappers who played exceptional golf! Turns out the other chap knew my dad from the Vietnam war days! Small world eh :) Regards Mailman
    • This is a fundamental that is that ruins so many golf swings before they start. Let's look at why. Bending at the waist is physically easier - it takes less work from your legs to bend over and your body naturally avoids work.  The big problem is that you are out of balance by the time you reach the top of your backswing and worse... Your upper body weight is not over your legs which means a ground up swing is dead. Through your transition your weight needs to be firmly planted over your loaded legs so 1) you can linger in your transition in balance until your forward weight shift happens and 2) So that your lower legs are in a position of leverage to get your weight moving and to have enough spring to keep pushing until your weight has made it all the way to your left foot.  So, if you don't love your swing check for this setup flaw. So, many people who swing over the top don't realize they had no chance way back from their setup. 
    • Good topic. I voted breaking 80 is harder. Obviously the two are connected but if push came to shove I think more golfers could learn how to avoid making doubles than be taught or acquire the skills to break 80. Breaking 80 for many golfers would mean significantly raising the level of their games, while not making a double is more about avoiding the big miss and game planning/course management. More specific to the OP's question relating to a golfers that shoots in the low 80's and is trying to break through, it could be one or other, most likely a combo of both. For myself, like @The Recreational Golfer I've had more rounds in the 70's than double bogey free rounds so could you say it's "easier" for me to shoot in the 70's than avoid making a double? Yes and no, depends on how you look at it. Even though I messed up on one or two individual holes I had to play fairly solid golf the other 16/17 holes to break 80, IMO that's more difficult than avoiding making a double. Even on a round where I didn't make a double I had to perform at a consistent level for 18 holes to break 80. If you told me I had to play 10 rounds where I had to break 80 and 10 rounds where I couldn't make a double, I think the latter would be easier for me. 
    • Good to hear. An observation for you... When you start getting your lower body into it guess what?  You start doing work!  And that takes fitness.  Some people have an illusion of an effortless golf swing. But in reality, it's effortless for your wrists but more work for your legs and core.  So, keep is mind as you go from hitter to swinger your fitness, core, and lower body strength demands go up. 
  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

  • Blog Entries