IGNORED

Tiger calls 17 "gimmicky"

ragontona
Note: This thread is 6205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

who missed it long... and by left i dont mean the ones that hit a hook... i'm talking about the ones that the wind pushed way left or right....not the one that caught the front left edge and bounced in.

funny thing is i am on several other forums... this is the only one with several members saying that the 17th is too gimicky and that it's not a good test of golf... that there's luck involved... the only luck is that the pros have the god given ability and the oppurtunities to develop their skills enough that they are given the chance to play one of the most prestigious courses in all of golf for FREE... WITH EVERYTHING GIVEN TO THEM.... EVERYTHING. they need to shut up and play golf. that's the hole... it is where it is because that's where the great course designer pete dye liked it... if they dont want to deal with all those inconviencing factors and they dont want to deal with the wind for that ridiculous prize money then call me i will gladly stand in for them.

you wont hear me crying about wind conditions... everyone is having to deal with the same thing...

real champions dont cry because of a little adversity.... what about professional football players that play in feezing rain, snow, and rain.... you guys are seriously defending the pros and why? they are given every luxury... those poor guys having to hit a golf ball in changing wind conditions; ONE DAY WITH SEVERE WINDS...

the thing is before TIGER WOODS said 17 is gimicky all of you probably thought 17 was the coolest hole in golf...

these forums are rapidly filling up with teenagers who worship every word out of his mouth...

I've said all i am going to say about the 17th... thank god pete dye and the powers that be dont bend as easily as the forum populous to the will of TIGER... BOMB AND GOUGE THAT'S ALL I DO... SHOTMAKING THATS FOR OLD GUYS LIKE SEVE, WATSON, NICKLAUS, PALMER, and PLAYER...

All I can say about Naruto's post is.... You are so right!! I usually disagree with everything Tiger says anyway. Not to take away from his ability, but he is quite the whiner!! Sort of the Jeff Gordon of Golf

The girls were in Tulsa last weekend and endured heat, humidity, cold, wind, rain, tornadoes and hail. Didn't hear a peep outta them about why they moved the tournament from September to May and how impossible the weather was. I guess that is the difference between folks that compete because they love it, and those that compete because they have too!!!

Only my $.02..

Mike

R5 Dual 9.5
F50 16.5
R7 TP 3-PW
RAC Satin 52 and 56 deg
Vokey 59 deg Studio Newport 2 HX Tour 56

Gimmicky my ass.

I'd love to go down there one day and birdie that hole.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• Administrator
Those of you saying "it's not gimmicky, it's interesting" should perhaps realize the two things are not mutually exclusive. Perhaps you LIKE gimmicks? Derrrr.

Just because you like to see pros hit the ball in the water doesn't mean the hole isn't gimmicky.

And popey, your post was really completely off-topic. Bash Tiger elsewhere - this thread isn't about Tiger.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

......I agree so much with the guy who wishes for the local alligators to attack Sabbatini on his way to the drop zone.......as a fellow South African all I can say is that this guy's demeanour is the perfect bodylanguage for all the hateful things my homeland's troubles.....swagger, bullshit, skindeep sincerity, ignorance and a boorishness, topped off by those aggro eyebrows and an ability to engage his tongue before his brain.....make it a PAIR of alligators!!!!!!!!!! LONG LIVE the 17th!!! A gimmick! Yeeeahhha!

Michael Stiebel

In ze bag:

Titleist 983 KTitleist 3WPing 5WCobra 23deg hybridPing Irons 5-PW Eidolon 52,56 & 60deg wedgesPing G2 long putter(wishing for: Titleist 755 irons!!)Left-hander!!!!!

first things first... i dont like to see the pros hit it in the water... i like it because it requires complete and total concentration... you have to hit a shot. you cant bail out there is no safety zone... no "miss" that is good...

you think it's gimmicky just because if you hit a bad shot you cant save par....well i'm sorry if you hit a bad shot from 130 yards you shouldnt escape with par.... nobody would cry about it if it were all sand, because then all there terrible misses wouldn't take par out of the equation... these guys are pros, the water shouldnt be bothering them.

perhaps you shouldn't be so in love with tiger that you hang on ever word he says... or let me guess you started a similar thread about 17 last year before tiger called it gimmicky.... right???

• Administrator

I can only assume you're responding to me, since I was the last to try to discuss anything here with you, and because you've failed to quote anybody else.

first things first... i dont like to see the pros hit it in the water... i like it because it requires complete and total concentration... you have to hit a shot. you cant bail out there is no safety zone... no "miss" that is good...

That's fine. I still see it as involving a lot of luck, though, and I think Tiger does too. See also: wind. In other words, we've had this portion of the discussion already.

The only new piece you bring to this is that you think having absolutely no miss or safety zone is good. That's your opinion, but it has nothing to do with whether the hole is gimmicky. As I said, you can LIKE the hole and still think it's gimmicky. Furthermore, saying "the sky is orange" doesn't make the sky orange any more than saying "a hole with no safety zone is good" makes the hole actually good.
you think it's gimmicky just because if you hit a bad shot you cant save par....well i'm sorry if you hit a bad shot from 130 yards you shouldnt escape with par.... nobody would cry about it if it were all sand, because then all there terrible misses wouldn't take par out of the equation... these guys are pros, the water shouldnt be bothering them.

I haven't said that, and I don't appreciate having words put in my mouth. I don't think anyone else has said that either. This point isn't even worth discussing: you're basically making things up and then arguing against them. Again, if you're referring to someone else, quote them to clear up any confusion.

perhaps you shouldn't be so in love with tiger that you hang on ever word he says... or let me guess you started a similar thread about 17 last year before tiger called it gimmicky.... right???

I don't hang on every word he says and I'm not in love with him, nor did I start a thread last year. Nope.

But if Phil or Adam Scott or virtually anyone with enough weight that this would become a topic of discussion had said the hole was gimmicky, I'd feel the same way I do now. In fact, I wish someone else HAD said it first, because they probably would have been clearer about what they meant by "gimmicky" than Tiger was. As it stands, we can only guess what he meant. I guessed he meant "too much luck involved = gimmicky." Your post misrepresents my opinion, puts words in my mouth, makes incredible and demeaning assumptions, and insults members of this forum. I don't like to use the word "warning" much, but consider this yours. Take your own advice:
I've said all i am going to say about the 17th...

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Naruto, I didn't start this thread but you are so right. I hang on to every word Tiger says and I'm in love with him.....

905R 9.5˚ - UST Proforce V2
904F 15˚ - YS-6
695cb 3-PW Dynamic Gold S300
Vokey SM54.14 and SM60.08
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro V1x / Pro V1Cyberbilt

• Administrator
Naruto, I didn't start this thread but you are so right. I hang on to every word Tiger says and I'm in love with him.....

Back to topic, guys. Preferably with comments from members who haven't yet posted here in this thread.

It is one of the best holes in golf as far as from a fans perspective. Now as a player I am not sure I would want to play it everyday.

Keep it on the short grass.

Note: This thread is 6205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!