IGNORED

How far can the ball roll on taking relief

DeanS
Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Dormie1360

You have the first part nailed.

As to the second question, through the green you must drop as close to the original spot as possible,  after that the 7 rules above apply.  Greens would be a place, a tee shot can be re-teed.anywhere in the teeing area..

20-5. Making Next Stroke From Where Previous Stroke Made

When a player elects or is required to make his next stroke from where a previous stroke was made, he must proceed as follows:

(a) On the Teeing Ground: The ball to be played must be played from within the teeing ground. It may be played from anywhere within theteeing ground and may be teed.

(b) Through the Green: The ball to be played must be dropped and when dropped must first strike a part of the coursethrough the green.

(c) In a Hazard: The ball to be played must be dropped and when dropped must first strike a part of the course in the hazard.

(d) On the Putting Green: The ball to be played must be placed on theputting green.

As near as possible means what exactly? If the original shot was in a divot, do I need to drop into that now larger divot? Do I get a club length? And how much roll out is too much in this case? Again two clubs?

If I was inches off the fairway on the "previous" stoke, need my drop hit off the fairway too? If I missed the rough would I need to re-drop?

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

When holding your arm out make the best attempt that you can to hold the ball above the spot and let go. After that, it's pot luck. As was the original spot.

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

As near as possible means what exactly? If the original shot was in a divot, do I need to drop into that now larger divot? Do I get a club length? And how much roll out is too much in this case? Again two clubs?

If I was inches off the fairway on the "previous" stoke, need my drop hit off the fairway too? If I missed the rough would I need to re-drop?

You're making this too complicated! It means just what it sounds like. You need to make an honest effort to drop the ball just where it was before--that location, or your best estimate of it, is your target for the drop. It doesn't have to land on the same spot, but you have to try. If you were in a divot, you're trying to drop it to hit the divot. If you were inches off the fairway, you need to try to drop it inches off the fairway.

No club length for the drop, when they grant you that they specify it. You get the universal 2-club lengths, not nearer the hole, for the roll out. Once you drop the ball legally, it is in play, so you don't get a re-drop unless it rolls too far, rolls nearer the hole than your target, or you dropped in the wrong place.

The dropping procedure is, as far as I know off the top of my head, always exactly the same. The only difference from rule to rule is the location that is your target.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Beautiful, thank you.  ~Slim

It's under Rule 20-2c  When to Re Drop.  It helps to memorize these 7 re drops.

c. When to Re-Drop

A dropped ball must be re-dropped, without penalty, if it:

(vi) rolls and comes to rest more than two club-lengths from where it first struck a part of the course; or

(vii)

Sorry to be so dense about this. When my opponent takes a drop near a hazard or standing water or GUR, I know if the drop was legal and when he needs to re-drop. On a "replay shot" drop, is it really about "trying" to drop where the first shot was and there is no objective amount that requires a re-drop?

I understand that I should try to hit that spot. When is my effort not good enough and therefore compels me to re-drop?

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I think anyone holding a ball at arm's length and trying to hit a spot can usually hit the ground within 6 inches of the spot.  After that, as long as the ball does not roll to a spot that's not allowed by 20-2c the ball is in play.

I'm sure every player on tour that has to drop under 20-5 is trying to just miss his divot.....but just because the ball missed the divot when it hit the ground, doesn't mean it can't roll into the divot.  Conversely, a ball hitting the divot could just as easily roll out.  As Rulesman said, it's luck.

The other thing that I would mention  is that even if you are estimating the previous spot, you have to pick a spot.  Once you do, that becomes THE SPOT for applying 20-2c.....especially 20-2c (vii)(a).

Regards,

John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm sure every player on tour that has to drop under 20-5 is trying to just miss his divot.....but just because the ball missed the divot when it hit the ground, doesn't mean it can't roll into

In perfect world the divot would start in front of the spot, i.e. closer to hole. So by dropping at the spot and ball rolling into divot would cause re-drop.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!