IGNORED

Rory McIlroy the new face of golf?

jshots
Note: This thread is 4400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You're right he said he did remember watching it, he and his dad watched it, then they bought the dvd or video so he could watch it over and over.

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

it was kind of a stupid question but I will almost guarantee Rory was watching that Masters in 1997.  Rory was already well known as golf prodigy by that age and competing.  He actually won the World Championships in 9-10 age division at Doral of all places.  Go figure!   So technically, Rory has already won at Doral!  ha ha!

And great answer by Rory...remind you of someone else?  Tiger would always say that...which explains why him winning his first major by 12 shots.  Remind you of someone else winning their first major in similar fashion?

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know people are going to say "lets not to be getting ahead of yourself" and wanting to shoot this statement down...some of the people's heads will probably explode in anger....because that is just what people do on this site.  But I really feel that judging not only by the talent god gave him, work ethic he has and his will to win, but by how good of a person he seems to be, Rory hcould very well be the GOAT eventually!  I'm sure all the Tiger and Jack fans are saying...this guy is out of his mind!  But I just If he doesn't break Jack or Tiger's record, I bet he comes pretty damn close...at least double digit major wins.  The most significant road block that he has in his way isn't guys like Luke Donald, Dustin Johnson, Nick Watney, Jason Day and all the other "Sergios" of this era....cuz we have seen those guys "shit the bed" plenty of times already...and I don't see anything changing.  Some can handle the pressure and some can't.  I'm not saying some of those guys aren't going to be major champions, but they aren't when more than a 2 or 3.  DJ is the only I feel that can challenge Rory just from his sheer power and capability to overpower even the longest courses...but he has also shown that his short game flies south when that major victory is in his grasp.  So I feel Rory's biggest road block is going to be determined by how long Tiger Woods can stay healthy and compete to his standard...cuz he is going to retire when he can't...he isn't playing on the Champions tour and thats for damn sure.  So if Tiger blows out his knee again or something like that happens, I think Rory might lap the field and then some...stay on top like Tiger and Norman or even longer.  And it seems the only people that realize that Rory is capable of this are those closest to him...guys like Graeme McDowell who has been quoted saying "Rory is the best he has ever seen"  I know Graeme didn't play during Tiger's prime and I am making bold predictions but he wasn't living under a rock.  I also know I am making bold predictions and you can't predict the future...unless you are Biff Tannen in Back to Future II...right Lucious?  And I am not saying it to get into a debate...just felt like saying it out loud.  But if you want to disagree, but by all means let me hear your opinion and I will listen without getting angry or defensive.   But I am only responding if you handle it like a true debate and not a pissing match.  It just gets old...give your thoughts and move on.  Cheers!

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Not to change the subject but does anyone know if Rory is going to play The Heritage, week after The Masters? I can't seem to find any info on this. I go every year and would love to see him play.

David

Originally Posted by dmnoland

Not to change the subject but does anyone know if Rory is going to play The Heritage, week after The Masters? I can't seem to find any info on this. I go every year and would love to see him play.

I seriously doubt it but it would be really sweet if he did, because I am going to be there!   I wonder how he would play at Harbour Town...that is such a unique track.  Some love it, some hate it.  I have read that Tiger loves it but admits it just doesn't set up for him....it has been on his video game for years. Anyway... They won't announce the official field for a little while.

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

I seriously doubt it but it would be really sweet if he did, because I am going to be there!   I wonder how he would play at Harbour Town...that is such a unique track.  Some love it, some hate it.  I have read that Tiger loves it but admits it just doesn't set up for him....it has been on his video game for years. Anyway... They won't announce the official field for a little while.

That's right, your in Hilton Head. Where do you normally play? I usually play Golden Bear at Indigo Run.

David

That's right, your in Hilton Head. Where do you normally play? I usually play Golden Bear at Indigo Run.

Golden Bear is probably wear I play the most as well...always in good shape...I play country club of Hilton head, Oyster Reef and the Palmetto Dunes courses a lot as well.

Now admittedly, I'm a huge Rory fan.  Just going to put that out there off the start because I am biased, and I'll admit it.  I'm not a bandwagon fan though (I got up at 3am to watch him win the Dubai Desert Classic in 2009, as well as watched him lose the UBS Hong Kong the year before) and have told people for a long time he was going to be world number 1.  Is he the new face of golf?  Yes and no..  There are so many guys now that are the new face of golf, it's not just one guy.  I think Rory is part of it, and I think hes definitely at the top of the young class right now, but guys like Dustin Johnson, Bubba, Kyle Stanley, Brandt Snedeker, Martin Kaymer, Luke Donald, Lee Westwood, Mateo Manassero, etc. (the list goes on and on) are also part of the new face.  I still think no young guy has more influence than Rickie Fowler, although I also think unless he starts winning in the USA occasionally, hes going to fade bit.  I don't think there is going to ever be a time again where a Tiger-like figure will be the sole face of golf (and I wish the Golf Channel would stop pushing the issue).  There are too many guys out there now who are too good, and no one has the presence of Tiger because no one is afraid of anyone anymore.  Golf is the new face of golf.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

The sports "journalists" asked ridiculous questions like where was he when Tiger won his first Major, the guy is 22, do we really care what a 7-8 year old was doing when Tiger won the Masters?

it was kind of a stupid question but I will almost guarantee Rory was watching that Masters in 1997.  Rory was already well known as golf prodigy by that age and competing.  He actually won the World Championships in 9-10 age division at Doral of all places.  Go figure!   So technically, Rory has already won at Doral!  ha ha!

That's funny--I was going to say the exact same thing.  Rory won at Doral in 1998, so not exactly at the same time Tiger first won in Augusta, but Rory was being baby Tiger when Tiger first started roaring.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 4400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!