IGNORED

Custom length/bounce for wedges? Helppp!

Note: This thread is 4406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got fitted last year for new irons - specs are +1/2 length, standard loft, flat 1 degree - ProjectX 6.0 shafts.

I was coming off of standard everything, off the shelf irons....totally saw a positive difference in the custom fit irons.

The problem I have now is I'm hitting the majority of my wedges thin from the turf, topping shots and sending them yards past the green - standard length, lie, lofts 52.12, 56.14, 60.04 Vokeys w/ wedge shafts.  I hit the 56 and 60 the most during average round.  These wedges I bought 3 years ago off the shelf way before I knew about custom fittings.

Would this be due to the shaft lengths or bounce?  Is it neither and I'm the problem?  I feel like I'm used to the +1/2 on my irons now but when I step up to hit a wedge, my body isn't adjusting to compensate for the shorter club.  That's what I tell myself.....I'm sure I'm totally wrong.

Any advice would be great before my golf season begins.  I would really appreciate it!  Thank you.

I had the opposite issue: my irons are -1/2" but my wedges were standard length, off-the-shelf. My previous wedges had been the same relative length as my irons, but I had replaced them after about 30 months of use. About a year ago, I ordered a new gap wedge from Nike: got the VR with the same shaft as my irons (because wedge flex is nice for off the shelf, but if you're going to make a full swing, why not make it match?), same relative length too. My wedges went from an anxious shot to one I looked forward to hitting. In my opinion, there's no sense making your body compensate for an equipment issue (unless money is a bigger problem). I'd suggest getting the right length shaft for your wedges. And if they're wedges you bought 3 years ago, chances are you want to replace them. Unless they've been sitting in a garage for this time, the bounce has probably worn down quite a bit, too. My 30-month-old sand wedge had been a 14-bounce-degree and measured in at 5 or so when I replaced it.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had my wedges re-shafted to match my irons by taking them to a shop with a shaft frequency meter.  The flex and kick points are now the same on all my irons. It makes a big difference on full swings.

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

Note: This thread is 4406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!