IGNORED

My Swing (Parker0065)

Parker0065
Note: This thread is 4406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sometimes you have to laugh at yourself! My son wanted to go hit balls after school so I video taped him and threw in a couple of myself. It was a crisp 42 degrees and I wasn't striking it up to standards so I'm a little frustrated at the end with the "Ugly" comment. Man give me +50 degree weather and I'm much happier,,lol!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Originally Posted by Parker0065

Sometimes you have to laugh at yourself! My son wanted to go hit balls after school so I video taped him and threw in a couple of myself. It was a crisp 42 degrees and I wasn't striking it up to standards so I'm a little frustrated at the end with the "Ugly" comment. Man give me +50 degree weather and I'm much happier,,lol!

If you asked me what I would change and I suppose in a way you are, then I would say get that initial takeaway into a one piece action. I don't know have you always started the back swing lifting your club head like that? Start the takeaway with the grip moving one millimeter more than the clubhead for the first few inches or so. What do you think?

Sorry Patrick57, I had to block you bro. Nothing personal and I don't mind being critiqued (I know my swing is far from perfect) but I've read some of your posts and your just too much of a whack-job to waste my time with your senseless rhetoric.

Anyone else feel free to blast away!

I haven't taped myself in a while and one thing I didn't like was a little too much head movement. Not sure if part of it was the cold and having two sweaters on but I just felt really tight and couldn't loosen up. My turn felt forced and restricted. Since I've aged into my mid-40's my body does not like to loosen up in cold tempratures below 50 degrees. I started running this winter 10-12 miles a week and my fitness is improving but I have a bit farther to go.

In My Bag:

Little excessive forearm rotation at the beginning of the swing with the shoulders turning a little too flat.  I'd recommend feeling like the left shoulder goes down longer on the backswing.  Less rotation, more left shoulder down

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank's Mvmac

Are your saying my backswing is too flat in general, or do I just need to get a little more shoulder tilt?

I was looking at the top of my backswing in the video compared to my avatar picture that was taken a couple years ago and to me it looks like my swing plane has gotten flatter. Plus my clubface looks more shut at the top.

Is that from the arm rotation and flat shoulders?

Thanks!

In My Bag:

Thank's Mvmac

Are your saying my backswing is too flat in general, or do I just need to get a little more shoulder tilt?

I was looking at the top of my backswing in the video compared to my avatar picture that was taken a couple years ago and to me it looks like my swing plane has gotten flatter. Plus my clubface looks more shut at the top.

Is that from the arm rotation and flat shoulders?

Thanks!

Not too flat but there is too much rotation of the forearms which gets the club head inside the hands early and then you have to lift the arms from there to compensate.  So yes club HEAD is flatter early on but not the arm swing.  Good check point is that the left arm matches or is a little higher than the shoulder slant at the top of the back swing.

Left arm at A4.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

OK, I went back and looked at the original video(720p) I took that day to get a better look and I see what your saying. I definitely over-rotate my left forearm on the takeaway. I took some backswings in a mirror and I see what you mean about the shoulders. My miss is a hook and it's slowly gotten worse over the past couple years. On a bad swing I feel like I get stuck back there, come hard from the inside while fliping the hands over producing a ugly hook that starts at the target and turns hard left.

I'll work on less forearm rotation and a better left arm / shoulder position. Hopefully this will get rid of those ugly hooks that sneak in a couple times a round! I'll post another video in a few weeks and see if I get it straightened out.

Thank you so much for your help!

In My Bag:

I noticed one thing that I feel and have always been taught is critical, but I'm sure others on here will disagree with me or say that it's not as big of a deal as I'm saying it is.  If you look at your front foot when you're making contact with the ball, you'll see that your toes are coming up.  This means, more than likely, you're putting all of your weight on your heel which usually says that you're standing up to get your body out of the way.  I believe it even more in seeing that your first step after hitting the ball is falling backwards.

From what I saw, it looks like your ball trajectory may be a little high, so i'd assume that your wrists are perhaps a little over active through impact.  You want to finish more on the front edge of the front foot as opposed to the heel of the front foot.  Try to eliminate that "toe lift" and work on moving more "straight' onto that front foot.  This will let you trap the ball against the ground better, have a lower trajectory, get more spin, and pick up some distance.

Again, this is just the first thing I'd work on.  I was always taught that when fixing/critiquing a swing, start from the ground up....literally.  Start with the feet and move up from there....so yeah, that's where I'd start.

I did just want to say that that may be just me.  I know when I was putting all the weight on my heel, I was "flipping" my wrists.....Every golfer is different, and that may work for you.  In that case, disregard what I said....

OK, I went back and looked at the original video(720p) I took that day to get a better look and I see what your saying. I definitely over-rotate my left forearm on the takeaway. I took some backswings in a mirror and I see what you mean about the shoulders.

Yes and the left shoulder working down longer will help clean this up.  Left shoulder down, less forearm rotation

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by boomersooner13

I did just want to say that that may be just me.  I know when I was putting all the weight on my heel, I was "flipping" my wrists.....Every golfer is different, and that may work for you.  In that case, disregard what I said....

Thanks for the input Sooner,

It's a pretty bad video to see a lot of detail, I had on black pants and black shoe's in late evening.

I believe Mvmac hit the nail on the head. I went out to the range today and worked on less left forearm rotation and really hit the ball well.  With the forearm over-rotation I was getting the club really shut at the top and I know I was manpulating my body and hands through the ball trying to hold the clubface square.  I saw today at the range by fixing my arm and shoulder positon at the top I was able to go after the ball hard and not hit that ugly hook :) Once I get it ingrained into my swing it should help improve my balance since I won't have to worry about trying to manipulate the clubface. I can't wait to play tommorow!

In My Bag:

Thanks for the input Sooner,

It's a pretty bad video to see a lot of detail, I had on black pants and black shoe's in late evening.

I believe Mvmac hit the nail on the head. I went out to the range today and worked on less left forearm rotation and really hit the ball well.  With the forearm over-rotation I was getting the club really shut at the top and I know I was manpulating my body and hands through the ball trying to hold the clubface square.  I saw today at the range by fixing my arm and shoulder positon at the top I was able to go after the ball hard and not hit that ugly hook :) Once I get it ingrained into my swing it should help improve my balance since I won't have to worry about trying to manipulate the clubface. I can't wait to play tommorow!

Also understand when you take it to the course there will be some regression, just natural.  Try to feel the same thing you did today.

Mike McLoughlin

Mvmac, you created a monster,,lol!

I played my best golf tee to green today since about June of last year. I went out with my son and his buddy both on the local Highschool team. His buddy got off to a great start birdieing the first hole. He and I both birdied #4 and I birdied #5 to catch him at -2 under. He ran into some trouble after that and finished the day at +4, 76, my son was one back of him at +5, 77 and I managed to play steady and finished at -1 under 71. Nothing to write home about but I've really been struggling the last 6 months so this feels really good!!!

The best part was I hit no ugly "wide left" hooks all day. The other amazing thing was that I've gained distance with this change. After your post on Thursday I spent a lot of time in the mirror just practicing my takeaway over and over and after some range time on Friday and Saturday I was comfortable on the course with it today. I don't know how the "Over Forearm Rotating" had worked it's way into my swing but it was causing a lot of problems and had to be contributing to my losing distance over the last year or so. I was driving the ball farther today in 46 degree weather than I was at the end of last summer in 75-80 degree weather.

Sorry if I sound like a 5 year old on Christmas morning but I can't wait to get back out there.

I also found your video on the takeaway and that really helped as well. I'm off on Wednesday so I'll hit the range and post some video this coming week. The results I'm seeing so far are fantastic!

Thanks Again Mvmac - You The Man!!!!

In My Bag:

Mvmac, you created a monster,,lol!

I played my best golf tee to green today since about June of last year. I went out with my son and his buddy both on the local Highschool team. His buddy got off to a great start birdieing the first hole. He and I both birdied #4 and I birdied #5 to catch him at -2 under. He ran into some trouble after that and finished the day at +4, 76, my son was one back of him at +5, 77 and I managed to play steady and finished at -1 under 71. Nothing to write home about but I've really been struggling the last 6 months so this feels really good!!!

The best part was I hit no ugly "wide left" hooks all day. The other amazing thing was that I've gained distance with this change. After your post on Thursday I spent a lot of time in the mirror just practicing my takeaway over and over and after some range time on Friday and Saturday I was comfortable on the course with it today. I don't know how the "Over Forearm Rotating" had worked it's way into my swing but it was causing a lot of problems and had to be contributing to my losing distance over the last year or so. I was driving the ball farther today in 46 degree weather than I was at the end of last summer in 75-80 degree weather.

Sorry if I sound like a 5 year old on Christmas morning but I can't wait to get back out there.

I also found your video on the takeaway and that really helped as well. I'm off on Wednesday so I'll hit the range and post some video this coming week. The results I'm seeing so far are fantastic!

Thanks Again Mvmac - You The Man!!!!

No need to apologise!

Immediate results just mean that you have incorporated a quick fix. You should know this but I'll tell you anyway... Don't get too excited its only going to last for at most another two rounds. I bet you even said, "that's it, I've got it" a couple of dozen times. Sounds like you. So you've found a magic move that's going to last for another two games at most and then you are going to have to wait for the next quick fix. Get real.

I just know you read this!    Angry huh!

P.S. I'm glad you are working on your take away like I said from the beginning!

Immediate results just mean that you have incorporated a quick fix. You should know this but I'll tell you anyway... Don't get too excited its only going to last for at most another two rounds.

Or he quickly incorporated a long-lasting and meaningful fix.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Or he quickly incorporated a long-lasting and meaningful fix.

Do you really believe that.

Even Mike warns him, "Also understand when you take it to the course there will be some regression, just natural."

I would rather hear from Parker after the honeymoon period is over and he should know about quick fixes. They work because we heighten our attention to something and this attention can feel like magic but this attention always recedes and stops working and you have to look for the next miracle cure. I can believe he has improved his takeaway but its his lack of attention to this that caused his problems in the first place.

He said, "I don't know how the "Over Forearm Rotating" had worked it's way into my swing but it was causing a lot of problems and had to be contributing to my losing distance over the last year or so."

There are swing faults and attention faults, I believe Parker's attention is his biggest problem and he should work on this important attribute.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Patrick57

Immediate results just mean that you have incorporated a quick fix.

Wrong.

Originally Posted by Patrick57

Even Mike warns him, "Also understand when you take it to the course there will be some regression, just natural."

Yep. If he practices to a point where it's 80% better, then he plays on the course and it's only 10% better because he's not able to dedicated all of his thought to this one particular thing, that's a regression. But it's still 10% better than where he was a week ago.

And Patrick, this is the end of this little OT discussion. I'm not going to allow you to sully people's "My Swing" threads with your vague baloney crazy train stuff.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 4406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!