IGNORED

3H or 4H or both?

Note: This thread is 4377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by WVUgolf21

Okay, made up my mind. Will continue to work on the 4 iron on the range and practice rounds. Will be purchasing a 3 and 4 hybrid. Now I have tested the RBZ and a few others. Not sure im willing to throw that kind of cash out. Would it be in my best interest to just get the original burner hybrids that are on sale right now? Or is that new technology really worth it?

I bought a Callaway Razr X off their preowned site for $100.  It was in like new condition.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

I made the switch to a 3h and 4h about a month ago.  Callaway preowned was running a buy one get one free deal on the razr x hybrids.  Probably the best decision I've made in a while.  Got both for $100 in like new condition, they still had plastic covering the heads.

Carlos

Originally Posted by WVUgolf21

Okay, made up my mind. Will continue to work on the 4 iron on the range and practice rounds. Will be purchasing a 3 and 4 hybrid. Now I have tested the RBZ and a few others. Not sure im willing to throw that kind of cash out. Would it be in my best interest to just get the original burner hybrids that are on sale right now? Or is that new technology really worth it?

Take a look for Nickent 3dx's.  I think you can find them if you look for under $50 or so.  Solid club.

Interesting story how I came to play mine......

My wife was at a charity golf tournament (I was staying home with the kid, go figure THAT one).  They had a bunch of items in the silent auction and she knew I was considering trying a hybrid for the first time.  Normally she knows better than to buy me golf clubs, I'm just too picky.....but she was looking at them when two guys came up and asked her if they could help her out.  She explained the situation and they asked her about my game.  Then they talked for a second between the two of them, and then picked up the 3dx and handed it to her.....

.....Rocco Mediate and Frank Nobilo.

What could I say?!

BTW, after playing that first one (20*) for a couple of months, I bought the 23*.   They may not be for everyone, but I think the damn things oughta be illegal, for me they're THAT good.....and I'm a pretty decent ball striker with my irons to begin with.

It's my stupid brain that tends to get in my way on the course!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

Take a look for Nickent 3dx's.  I think you can find them if you look for under $50 or so.  Solid club.

BTW, after playing that first one (20*) for a couple of months, I bought the 23*.   They may not be for everyone, but I think the damn things oughta be illegal, for me they're THAT good.....and I'm a pretty decent ball striker with my irons to begin with.

Yep... best hybrid on the market in my opinion.  My miss with them is a slight pull but overall... awesome.  Bought both my 2 and 4 on the bay for $25 each including shipping.  I cannot hit the 4DX to save my life though.

Originally Posted by David in FL

Interesting story how I came to play mine......

My wife was at a charity golf tournament (I was staying home with the kid, go figure THAT one).  They had a bunch of items in the silent auction and she knew I was considering trying a hybrid for the first time.  Normally she knows better than to buy me golf clubs, I'm just too picky.....but she was looking at them when two guys came up and asked her if they could help her out.  She explained the situation and they asked her about my game.  Then they talked for a second between the two of them, and then picked up the 3dx and handed it to her.....

.....Rocco Mediate and Frank Nobilo.

What could I say?!

I'll second (or would this be third?) that. Nickent 3dx hybrids are awesome, really, really solid feeling on impact. I got mine brand new for $80 a piece, had to reshaft the 4H as the stock shaft sucked (at least for my swing) but the 3H had a UST Proforce shaft that I absolutely love. Almost always use it off the tee because my driver and I are not talking to each other right now...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Like most, hybrids are easier to hit for me.  I would only add that you should really try different styles of hybrid to see what works best for you.  For me, there was a big difference between "fairway wood style" hybrids and hybrids that more closely resembled irons.  I went with the Ping G15s because they were more like irons and I hit them much better.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Both. I'd make sure the shafts are not hyped up long to add distance. Hybrid shafts should not be as long a wood shafts.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I recently got the Nike sq sumo 18 degree hybrid as a 5wood/2iron. Liked it so much that I got the same Nike 3&4 hybrids. Now the 3 clubs look identical and hit the same with nice 15 yard distances between them. I am now for hybrids, they are better than a 5 wood and better than a 3 iron. I still have my 4 iron that I would never give away. BTW I bought these hybrids dirt cheap as they're outgoing clubs and these can match up against ANY of those expensive hybrids out there :-)

I say get both there is little to no benefit of hitting the 4 iron over the hybrid. Hybrid is longer softer and 10x's easier. Unless your playing in a hurricane cant see much reason to carry a 4 iron.

4i is so much more accurate than the 4 h off the tee. Off the deck, it's a wash. I don't find a 4h any easier to hit than a modern SGI cavity backed 4i - this is the biggest hyped myth in golf

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Note: This thread is 4377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!