IGNORED

I hate the "sport"

Kapanda
Note: This thread is 4311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The first time I walked onto a golf course I loved it and have ever since.

And I despise the idea of people playing purely for "business".

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I shot my career best of 88 today and still hated how i played, but i still love tgis game ;)

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Everybody is different.  I am a halfway decent player (by occasional recreational player standards) so its usually pretty enjoyable for me.  Although I shot a horrible 94 (81-82 is typical for me) a couple of weeks ago and I can easily see wanting to give up the game if that became the norm, because it was not fun.

On the other hand ... my dad is completely obsessed with the game even though he stinks.  We watches golf channel 24/7 basically, plays whenever he can, rarely breaks 100, AND everytime we play he always gets mad and seems like he's miserable out there.  Yet, he's ready to go every weekend.

I'm a little worried I'm going to turn out like your dad....

Originally Posted by Shorty

The first time I walked onto a golf course I loved it and have ever since.

And I despise the idea of people playing purely for "business".

Sorry brah

• 1 month later...

Ive been playing for a couple years and this year I fell in love with the game. I used to go out and just swing away this year ive started working on my swing and can see improvment. Just knowing i can get better by practicing the right things keeps me out there. practice practice practice

im kinnda like your dad i get pissed when i hit a bad shot but i let it go the next shot is an oppurtunity to hit a good one.

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Golf is the most beautiful game ever. Period.

I don't trust people who have played and don't like it.

Some reasons why golf is the greatest game:

1. Being on the course on a beautiful spring morning is pure aesthetic overload

2. The sight, feel, and sound of a well struck ball are better than sex

3. It's one of the best ways to acquire discipline and patience

4. It's a mysterious combination of violence/power, and control/forebearance

5. Being 'on' (in the zone) in golf is a much deeper, zen-like experience than in any other sport

6. Beer tastes so good after a round

7. Golf clubs are the most beautiful sports equipment (besides maybe a really fast road bike or a racing shell)

I'm not sure that you're doing that sex thing right.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Kapanda

I am just beginning to play golf, and I'm doing it purely because it is good for business!

I probably would've quit by now if I didn't think it was important... it's just too hard to hit that damn ball properly to continue playing this forsaken game!

At the same time, I wish I had nothing else to do so I could go out there and improve my swing... I curse and curse when I'm on the driving range (for reasons by now obvious), but I don't want to leave neither. I feel like swinging at the thing until I get it perfect.

I guess this was just a bit of a rant. I'm told that once I "get it", I'll love the game.

Did all of you fall in love with the game straight away?

I was miserable at golf when I first started playing [not that long ago].  I absolutely loved it.  Being out with my best friend drinking a few brewskies.  Hitting this little white ball and then chasing after it.  Cracking jokes and talking about life.  Nice breeze cools off your body when you drive from shot to shot [no I don't walk].   Then after the 9th hole you go into the club and get yourself one of those crazy hot sausages on a bun.  Reload on beer if you need to and go back out.

It's the best way to kill 4 hours [and not break any laws].

Almost every round I want to throw my clubs in the lake and leave! Then I hit that one great shot and think maybe..... Then a couple shots later I'm eyeing that pond again!

Originally Posted by Kapanda

I'm a little worried I'm going to turn out like your dad....

lol, the two of you seem to have that fatal attraction thing goin on with golf.

question 4 u, have u ever taken lessons? Practice is kinda useless if you're practicing the wrong way. Thats what actually appealed to me about the sport... the idea that success (relatively speaking) is awarded to those who commit to learning the sport the right way. I learned that years ago in HS sports, applied it to life in general, and recently began to see how it most definitely applies to golf. I'm new, hardly every swung a club before this spring, which IMO works to my advantage so long as I apply myself to learning as many of the right habits early on as I can.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love to hate it, or hate to love it I'm not sure. This morning after a the most beautiful iron shot I've ever made to a GIR I was in love, the next hole when I teed off into the woods, I hated it again. It's back and forth with me.

The last half hour I've been in my back yard (I have several acres so I have room for this junk) trying to perfect 30-40 yard pitches that stop where they land. Probably hit the ball about 100 times give or take, figured out something that was causing my inconsistency while doing it, and now I can't wait to hit the course again and see if I can't get a shot or two better next round hahhaha.

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

I absolutely love the sport of golf, and I knew it since I started the first round. I've worked relentlessly to improve. Practice daily, play at least 4 times a week usually.

I wish I had found this sport when I was a child. I fully believe I would have given up hockey for it.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Played a lot at 10 with zero help or advise. Got really bad. Quit at 13 because I did not like being bad and my temper was making even me uncomfortable.Picked it back up last year of college with some buddies. Decided that it was about being out there and having fun. And I did have fun. I also learned how to suck and still be an excellent part of a 4-some. This allowed me to play for business and enjoy some of the best courses in the country -- even though I sucked. Sometime in my late 30's I decided I'd like to get good at the game and not be a good guest or host and good at having fun. I did not get good. I did get frustrated. I was still an excellent addition to a 4-some or buddy trip, so I still enjoyed the game.

Golf can be fun if you change your expectations. If you need to be good at it in order to enjoy it, you are in for a world of pain and frustration.

I really wanted to be good at playing the piano. I sing and know it would be cool to play. I could not do what it took to even become competent at playing the piano. I quit lessons and trying to learn before I hated looking at the thing in my living room. Maybe golf is you piano.

• Upvote 1

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by divot dave

lol, the two of you seem to have that fatal attraction thing goin on with golf.

question 4 u, have u ever taken lessons? Practice is kinda useless if you're practicing the wrong way. Thats what actually appealed to me about the sport... the idea that success (relatively speaking) is awarded to those who commit to learning the sport the right way. I learned that years ago in HS sports, applied it to life in general, and recently began to see how it most definitely applies to golf. I'm new, hardly every swung a club before this spring, which IMO works to my advantage so long as I apply myself to learning as many of the right habits early on as I can.

I've taken lessons but not great ones. I'm hopefully going to take some more this fall.

Like everything in life, there certainly is a direct correlation between hard and smart work, and success. And I am already trapped in the damn fatal attraction of the game.

My father loves golf and he gets frustrated with it but never seems to get upset with it so it was only natural that he would get my brother and I involved in his love for golf.  Well throughout my youth I played maybe a round a year after the first year my father had me playing because I didn't enjoy it.  I decided to give it another go after a company best ball tournament in August 2010 I really started to enjoy playing and enjoy spending the time out on the course with family and friends mainly because I have different expectations of my game now then I did back then.

I love this game as well.  Im not that good yet and have only broken 100 twice.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Originally Posted by David in FL

Gotta admit, I've loved it from the first time I picked up a club, and that's getting close to 50 years ago now.....

One word of caution.....I don't know that anyone ever "gets it".  At least not in the sense that the silly game becomes any less of a frustration.

As your skills improve, the level of frustration still seems to remain the same because expectations change.  I promise you, I still get just as annoyed and frustrated at myself if don't break 80 (happens all too often) or if I miss the correct tier of the green with a wedge in my hand, as another golfer might get for shooting 110 or dribbling a shot off the tee.  A tour pro who doesn't make the cut is frustrated and pissed off, even though he likely shot a 36 hole score that I can only dream about.

It's a confounding game......but it's an equal opportunity abuser.   That's one of the reasons we love it!

you know it is my friend ..lol

Cart Bag

Hi Bore  xls Driver

Big Bertha steelhead plus  3 and 5 Woods

Pro Gold 20 and 24 degree Hybrids

MD Superstrong Irons

MD Norman Drew Low Bounce wedges

Putter 

Note: This thread is 4311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!