IGNORED

The essence of the golf swing

Note: This thread is 4367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Don't hold your breath.

Even if the dominant arm is lost the amputee will soon gain control of the existing non-dominant arm but must address the ball the remaining arm as the forward arm.

Originally Posted by dreichert

Don't hold your breath.

Even if the dominant arm is lost the amputee will soon gain control of the existing non-dominant arm but must address the ball the remaining arm as the forward arm.

Ahh.. the infamous one armed golfer..

While I'm no expert on the golf swing, the use of absolutes and predictions of doom are enough for me to dismiss this thread starter. When someone communicates in this manner, he or she becomes so invested in the belief, that they can no longer process information that is new to them or to consider a different viewpoint. Very limiting.

It's not a belief, it's an absolute fact.  The past 30 years of my 60 years playing golf I've taken almost continuous lessons from various instructors I processed about all of the information needed to conclude what they're teaching, mostly down swing adjustments, is useless. How else can you explain the fact that the majority of tour pros and other very good players play with their dominant arm the forward arm, the arm that controls the backswing and establishes the proper swing arc.

• Administrator

How else can you explain the fact that the majority of tour pros and other very good players play with their dominant arm the forward arm, the arm that controls the backswing and establishes the proper swing arc.

Huh?

Of course the forward arm establishes the arc. It doesn't bend like the rear arm.

Beyond that, again, "huh?"

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Huh?

Of course the forward arm establishes the arc. It doesn't bend like the rear arm.

I would give you a thumbs up for this and add it to your reputation, but, my dominant arm isn't working well on my laptop.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

The golf swing is a dynamic activity. Everything must work in harmony or it simply doesn't work. I do not understand all the different swing theories out there for sure. I have no idea what StackNTilt is, nor do I have the time to practice it. I have always thought that when the club is swung on the proper plane with the proper tempo that you have something going. I think most of the problems I have encountered with the golf swing come from trying to hit the ball rather than swinging the club. I love what Bobby Jones stated: "Golf is played on a course 5 1/2 inches long" (the space between your ears)

After careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that what you say is indeed factual.  You must be a very knowledgable and educated person to have uncovered this.  I am eternally grateful to you for informing me of this fact.

After careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that what you say is indeed factual.  You must be a very knowledgable and educated person to have uncovered this.  I am eternally grateful to you for informing me of this fact.

So you have discovered the essence of the golf swing and still have a 13.4 handicap?

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Patrick, don't forget about the Quote button underneath people's posts, so that we know which previous post you are referring to.

I found this post ...

It's not a belief, it's an absolute fact.  The past 30 years of my 60 years playing golf I've taken almost continuous lessons from various instructors I processed about all of the information needed to conclude what they're teaching, mostly down swing adjustments, is useless. How else can you explain the fact that the majority of tour pros and other very good players play with their dominant arm the forward arm, the arm that controls the backswing and establishes the proper swing arc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by parsnates

While I'm no expert on the golf swing, the use of absolutes and predictions of doom are enough for me to dismiss this thread starter. When someone communicates in this manner, he or she becomes so invested in the belief, that they can no longer process information that is new to them or to consider a different viewpoint. Very limiting.

quite humours.  Thanks OP.

[b]My Bag[/b] 1 Burgeoning mental game

Originally Posted by Old1964

I would give you a thumbs up for this and add it to your reputation, but, my dominant arm isn't working well on my laptop.

Are you using your dominant as your forward arm?  If not try going to the other side of your laptop.

Originally Posted by Anjew

Patrick, don't forget about the Quote button underneath people's posts, so that we know which previous post you are referring to.

Now you tell me.  Yes, I am Patrick.  How did you figure it out?

Patrick

Originally Posted by jmurder

The golf swing is a dynamic activity. Everything must work in harmony or it simply doesn't work. I do not understand all the different swing theories out there for sure. I have no idea what StackNTilt is, nor do I have the time to practice it. I have always thought that when the club is swung on the proper plane with the proper tempo that you have something going. I think most of the problems I have encountered with the golf swing come from trying to hit the ball rather than swinging the club. I love what Bobby Jones stated: "Golf is played on a course 5 1/2 inches long" (the space between your ears)

That might have worked for Bobby but for the rest of us it works better if you are brain dead.

Originally Posted by iacas

Huh?

Originally Posted by Old1964

The left arm establishes the arc only if it has control of the club in the backswing and the downswing to the point of impact  The only way you can hit a bad shot is if the right arm takes over too soon which will move the club off the required arc.  At this your point the arms and body will disconnect and the club will be taken behind you.  It will require perfect timing to square the face at impact otherwise the shot will be a wild push or a duck hook.   The shot will also be weak as the connection between the arms and body is lost and you will be swinging with your arms only.

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

So you have discovered the essence of the golf swing and still have a 13.4 handicap?

Yes.  Low handicap players come in two forms.  Type one swings correctly the first time he/she picks up a club and breaks 70 within one to two years. This type of player will almost certainly be left handed (swinging righty) or  ambidextrous.  They get the swing right naturally but have no clue as to the correct mechanics and won't be good instructors.  Type two will start with a faulty swing (usually a right hander swinging right) but will play and practice enough to get down to a single digit handicap but will also be inconsistent. Since the handicap based on the ten best scores out of twenty this person can keep his handicap low even if half of his rounds are high.  I was type two for fifty-five of my sixty years of play and practice and got down to as low as zero though mostly was mid single digit.  The last 30 years I had continuous lessons by pros concentrating on downswing techniques only with little to show for it.  With my last instructor I slumped to a mid teen handicap.  I always knew that my problem was a faulty backswing but no instructor would agree.  Two to three years ago I quit the lessons and pursued  my own theory playing five days a week and practicing two to three hours also on those days.   Knowing the true left side control mechanics is one thing but converting to them from a right arm dominated swing is even more difficult.  The only bad shots I hitoccur when my right arm takes over.

• Administrator

The left arm establishes the arc only if it has control of the club in the backswing and the downswing to the point of impact  The only way you can hit a bad shot is if the right arm takes over too soon which will move the club off the required arc.  At this your point the arms and body will disconnect and the club will be taken behind you.  It will require perfect timing to square the face at impact otherwise the shot will be a wild push or a duck hook.   The shot will also be weak as the connection between the arms and body is lost and you will be swinging with your arms only.

Or you could exist in reality, where nothing you said is true even close to being accurate all of the time.

Virtually nobody on the PGA Tour is left-handed playing as a righty. They're almost all righties playing as righties.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!