IGNORED

My Swing (Jonnyy8699)

Jonnyy8699
Note: This thread is 4105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Oh and also these were some numbers from the launch monitor today, hitting the Bridgestone B330-RX (there was a ball fitting today at my local range) Club head speed:105.7  Ball speed:138.7  Launch angle:7.4   Back spin:2423 Side spin:-40 (that's a draw right?) Distance:229 yards. This is an average of 5 swings I believe. According to the "ideal" section, my launch angle is about 4 degrees lower than it should be, back spin is almost perfect, a little high, side spin obviously ideally would be 0, and with my swing speed the ideal ball speed and distance should be 156.4 mp/h and 273 yards.

Do those videos just play horribly and incredibly choppy for anyone else?  And I'm not talking about, oh I wish he had a million fps camera.  Like I see a setup frame, one down swing frame and a finish frame, spaced over ~4 seconds.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mdl

Do those videos just play horribly and incredibly choppy for anyone else?  And I'm not talking about, oh I wish he had a million fps camera.  Like I see a setup frame, one down swing frame and a finish frame, spaced over ~4 seconds.

Well when I click on the link it's pretty good, I can see the entire swing pretty smoothly. It was filmed with an Iphone, but they still usually have decent slow mo. Definitely more than 5 frame for me though haha.

Head goes down too much because of the way the club head is working, too low and in.  Would like to see that club head ascend faster on the takeaway.  If you get a chance watch, Bud Cauley on TV this weekend and check out his waggle

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by Jonnyy8699

Ok I'll work on that next time I go to the range and post a video. What does that improve? Just ballstriking in general? Maybe increase my launch angle?

Yeah will start to help the head from going down so much, maybe even shorten the swing, which will low point control.  What happens is the club goes in, head goes down to create some ascent, arms run on and then the down swing is just about playing catch up.  Not saying the takeaway improvement will solve everything at once but that's where I feel the "chain reaction" starts.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 1 month later...

ok my shots are so inconstant im not even sure how to classify them... most of the time its a slice I guess, and when I don't slice it, it's a dead pull. There are also a handful of every other sort of miss imaginable every trip to the range. Help. http://swingreader.com/video/view/XftUiR2F/driver

Ok and I just went today and it was a lot better, I was hitting it left and right, but not severe at all, and if it was a fade, I could fix it and either hit it straight or a draw, but I spend most of the time bouncing between a fade and a draw. So what is so much better about this swing than the one right before it? http://swingreader.com/video/view/B7HyoA1m/driver

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

I figured I'd do this info again since it's been a while.

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 14.9

My typical ball flight is: fade, though inconsistant

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: inconsistency in ball flight

So I think I've gotten a decent swing worked out, but it seems like every day is a new ball flight. Most days my typical misses are slightly right and a few waaay left, some days it's the opposite, sometimes my distances are just a lot shorter than normal, and sometimes balls are only going left. I start my golf season February 11th and I need some help to gain consistency. Most days I am fading it, but when I think about key swing points like releasing properly or not coming out to in I can deal with it, which is the only way I am shooting a decent score, but I need to be able to have a swing I can trust, not one that can be doing anything at any given point in time. So here are my videos from today at the range, today everything was fading, most not too bad at all. But a few big misses. Also not a lot of distance. Any advice?

6 Iron: http://swingreader.com/video/view/YAgDpnZi/driver

Driver: http://swingreader.com/video/view/3IWwGTgo/driver

Can anyone help? I'd appreciate it.

mvmac's earlier advice about the start of your backswing, the downwards movement of your head and the length of your backswing still looks pretty relevant to me.

Originally Posted by Mordan

mvmac's earlier advice about the start of your backswing, the downwards movement of your head and the length of your backswing still looks pretty relevant to me.

Originally Posted by mvmac

Head goes down too much because of the way the club head is working, too low and in.  Would like to see that club head ascend faster on the takeaway.  If you get a chance watch, Bud Cauley on TV this weekend and check out his waggle

Yeah today I played a round and shot a decent score, but my ball striking was not very good at all. Basically what kept me alive is my drives being in the fairway most of the time and my wedge play. I tried ascending the clubhead a little faster on the take away but it felt like I was taking it a little to far outside, but it also gave a nice feeling of dropping the club into that "slot" on the downswing to keep me from coming over the top, which I'm sure happened a few times but that was just the feel. I was mainly focusing on taking the club head up faster and keeping my head from dipping in the backswing, but it seems to result in a lot of thin shots. Any idea as to why that would be?

Yeah today I played a round and shot a decent score, but my ball striking was not very good at all. Basically what kept me alive is my drives being in the fairway most of the time and my wedge play. I tried ascending the clubhead a little faster on the take away but it felt like I was taking it a little to far outside, but it also gave a nice feeling of dropping the club into that "slot" on the downswing to keep me from coming over the top, which I'm sure happened a few times but that was just the feel. I was mainly focusing on taking the club head up faster and keeping my head from dipping in the backswing, but it seems to result in a lot of thin shots. Any idea as to why that would be?

I'm happy to be contradicted by any of the experts around here but I think you probably need to accept that when you're making changes to your swing, sometimes it takes a little time to dial in good contact even if you're making the right moves. You're so used to making contact from your old swing positions that you might need to be a little patient while you get that good contact back again. Plus you're also probably concentrating more on the new move you're trying to make and less on just striking the ball which may detract from your ball striking a little.

There's also the possibility that making these changes has just revealed another thing for you to work on that's leading to thins. But we'd need a video of your new swing to know.

The most important thing is to stick with it. Get a new video to make sure that you're actually making the right move and then stick with it. Chances are if it's feeling a little awkward then you've actually made a meaningful change and you just need to give it time to bed in.

The good news is that backswing changes are easier to make than downswing changes, especially as you can practice them at home in front of a mirror. Leave a club handy and do 5 backswings each time you walk past a particular mirror at home and soon enough your changes will feel completely natural. Your family may look at you strangely however.

Originally Posted by Mordan

The good news is that backswing changes are easier to make than downswing changes, especially as you can practice them at home in front of a mirror. Leave a club handy and do 5 backswings each time you walk past a particular mirror at home and soon enough your changes will feel completely natural. Your family may look at you strangely however.

Haha I can definitely attest to this. This is how I practice in the winter when the course is covered in snow and I find it extremely useful. Do everything in really slow motion to get the feel and it will just become natural.

Note: This thread is 4105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!