IGNORED

Miura Wedges

Note: This thread is 3815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Shorty

It's amazing how a little bit of marketing can convince so many people that an item which is mass produced, albeit in smaller numbers than most OEMs is something other than a mass produced item.

There is the video of the Miura forging process and people marvel at it as if they were watching the birth of an ancient Samurai sword and even make that ludicrous analogy.

If the video was of a TM factory, the same folk would talk about it being a sweat shop and a production line, which it is, but there persists the notion that Miura San  presides over the construction of your wedge in a way somehow different to te way the other hundreds made every day are made.

TaylorMade make 8 million clubs a year. Miura make considerably less, but their process is pretty much like others'. As for custom "grinds" (makes you feel so pro doesn't it) gawd, give me  a break.

I'm all for having nice gear, and have been called a club ho and I'm not at all embarrassed by it, but when it comes to wedges, they are much of a muchness and you just have to find a shape and finish that sits well with you.

Ultimately a couple of hundred dollars is still cheap in my eyes but I just don'y like the notion that perceived rarity = better.

My issue with fitting  is this: "Who is doing the fitting?"

Your U.S. market is bigger than ours and there are probably only a few in Oz who I'd take any notice of but would love the opportunity to be fitted by someone who rally knows their stuff and isn't pushing a brand.  Hopefully, some you guys have fitters that you can trust, but the idea of going to a golfing WalMart equivalent and being fitted by a kid and a faulty launch monitor ain't my idea of a positive move.

I agree with you 100%.  Miuras are nice sticks, no doubt but they arent the magical clubs that many hype them up to be.  Vokeys, Mizunos and any of the other hyped up clubs are no different.

As for the whole cast vs forged thing that Desmond spoke of, I can feel a different from cast to forged but I can also feel a difference from one brand of forged to the next.  Mizunos and Bridgestones feel COMPLETELY different to me in terms of hardness.  What does that feel really do for you though?  Oftentimes what we percieve coming up through the clubhead, shaft and then into our hands doesnt really give us much information and what we think we feel is happen really isnt.  Its back to the notion that feel isnt real so that feel that people speak so highly about and get into a fuss over means little to nothing.  Ballflight and watching your own swing on video will tell you far more than feel ever will.

Beyond that, folks should buy what they want and be happy.  Just dont act like you are so superior just because you have a set of custom ground, fitted wedges from Japan.  Its still just a golf club and in the moment of truth all that matters is how you deliver the clubhead to the back of the ball.  The magic is in YOU, not in the club.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Feel superior?

Don't know about y'all, but I don't say anything about my clubs on the range or course unless someone asks what I've got. And even then, it's no big deal.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Shorty, what you never fail to grasp is that things are worth what people will pay for them. If someone's excited about x or y, and thinks they got a deal, then for once just be happy for them or don't say anything. Though you and I both know the process by which some wedges are made (forged vs. cast) has next to nothing to do with it, people still buy into the hype. So what? At some point, just let them be happy with their new sticks. You don't have to be the cloud that appears every time someone says the word "forged."

FWIW, the Edel wedges (the cast versions - the forged ones are pricy and feel no different, they're just available in different finishes) ARE worth it because they offer:

customized fit for bounce

customized fit for lie angle/length

customized fit for shaft (height/spin of shot)

customized stamping

I laughed out loud at the bold part.  (Refused to write LOL because to me that is just internet speak for "that is funny" but in this case I really did laugh out loud)

P.S.  I believe your never in the first sentence is supposed to be always, no?  (unless you were going sarcastic)

P.P.S.  Count me in the group that is buying into the "hype" because I really want to get me some new Edel wedges.  I need new irons first!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by TitleistWI

As for the whole cast vs forged thing that Desmond spoke of, I can feel a different from cast to forged but I can also feel a difference from one brand of forged to the next.

Yeah, no you can't. At least you're persistent in thinking that you can, though. I'll give you credit for that. Shorty is RIGHT when he talks about how the method used to make a club is irrelevant to the feel, and it's all the other things (head shape/size/weight/etc. etc. etc., grip, shaft) that will actually affect feel, but my point in responding to him was that he doesn't have to point out that fact (and do so sourly) EVERY time… just as you don't have to jump in every time someone says that you can't feel the difference to say that you can.

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Beyond that, folks should buy what they want and be happy.  Just dont act like you are so superior just because you have a set of custom ground, fitted wedges from Japan.  Its still just a golf club and in the moment of truth all that matters is how you deliver the clubhead to the back of the ball.  The magic is in YOU, not in the club.

While I agree that there's more to do with the player, I also disagree: a club that's properly fit for you (and a shaft, and a ball, etc.) can change that moment of truth: how you arrive there and what happens during that moment, and have quite an effect on the outcome.

For the record, I also don't think he's "acted superior." You have, from time to time, what with your supposed ability to feel things that nobody else can feel.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

P.S.  I believe your never in the first sentence is supposed to be always, no?  (unless you were going sarcastic)

Yep. Sorry. Fixed that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Isn't feel sound and vibration? And as Erik implied (?), everything going to your hands and ears will be pleasing or not to various degrees. Forged, cast, shaft, grip, head design, etc.

You know it feels good when it feels good to you.

I know I feel good when the wedge glides and I get the consistent trajectory and result that I want. That is a great feeling.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Isn't feel sound and vibration? And as Erik implied (?), everything going to your hands and ears will be pleasing or not to various degrees. Forged, cast, shaft, grip, head design, etc.

You know it feels good when it feels good to you.

I know I feel good when the wedge glides and I get the consistent trajectory and result that I want. That is a great feeling.

I have $5 wedges that feel like that. Keep on truckin'.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Maybe he didn't get a proper fitting.

Maybe adding a strip of lead tape = getting a fitting back in the day.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I just got fitted today. Have had the same clubs for 25 yrs (tommy arms 845 ss). Including the wedges. Tried a bunch of wedges without knowing what I was trying. My problem is my steep angle of attack and high launch angle. One club I hit materially better than the others. better spin rates, accuracy and sf. It was a Miura. So I got them. For me, I don't constantly change my clubs. This was the next big upgrade and I can't see changing them for many years. Simply put I got the club that felt the best and I hit the best whether a $50 dollar club or $200.

Originally Posted by Jmdmbike

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Maybe he didn't get a proper fitting.

Maybe adding a strip of lead tape = getting a fitting back in the day.

2011?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• 3 weeks later...

The fitting process for Miura is very personalized.  Other fitting process are good too (I've gone through Mizzy fitting in the past) but Miura fitting

is just different. I got the Y-grind wedge and it has worked well with my 501s.

• 1 year later...
Note: This thread is 3815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!