IGNORED

Pros tapping down ground on line of putt

Alistair
Note: This thread is 3251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Several times this year I have seen pros (on both men's and women's tour) use their putters to tap down some irregularity on the ground between them and the hole before putting.  They're not repairing a pitch mark and then flattening the surface afterwards.  These actions with putters are the only 'repair' they are making.  Isn't repairing the indentation of a pitch mark the only repair allowable?

It's impossible to be sure what they are doing but the suspicion would have to be they are getting rid of spike marks.  That is not allowed before putting, and yet I have never seen anyone penalized.

Also, I have seen several players, after holing out, go back over their previous line of putt, and tap down the ground - presumably repairing spike marks. But that is before other players have holed out.  Are they not supposed to wait before dealing with spike marks until every player has finished?

They are most likely tapping down incompletely repaired pitch marks.

Referees cannot afford to miss such things. The TV coverage is too tight to take chances.

• Administrator

They would tell you that they're "repairing a pitch mark."

It's all bullshit, but except in the case of obvious spike marks, their fellow pros look the other way. They scratch each others' back, so to speak, on tapping down irregularities.

If there was one rule of golf I'd change, it'd be this one. Repair any and all irregularities of surface.

On the PGA Tour, they've almost effectively changed the rule without actually changing the rule, if you know what I mean.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

It's all bullshit, but except in the case of obvious spike marks, their fellow pros look the other way. They scratch each others' back, so to speak, on tapping down irregularities.

If there was one rule of golf I'd change, it'd be this one. Repair any and all irregularities of surface.

On the PGA Tour, they've almost effectively changed the rule without actually changing the rule, if you know what I mean.

Are there still a lot of guys who wear shoes with regular spikes on tour?  I know you can leave spike marks with the "grippier" spider type soft spikes, but was just wondering.

Oh I can't stand this rule. About not being able to tap down spike marks, but able to repair pitch marks. What's the difference?

Never understood this....

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Rulesman

Many are now wearing the soles with moulded studs.

Many still wear spikes, especially when it's soggy out, which is when greens are also the softest.

Originally Posted by Motley01

Oh I can't stand this rule. About not being able to tap down spike marks, but able to repair pitch marks. What's the difference?

Never understood this....

Like I said, it's the one rule I'd change. A competitor can drag his feet right near the hole and screw things up for every group to follow (even though repairing the green after you've putted out is not illegal).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Preach on.  This rule has never made sense to me.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

It's like' travelling' in basketball.  It's more like the triple jump in track now.

It's never called.

I always thought the line of putt was "sacred" territory.

It's hard to tell however if they are doing it in their line of putt or off the line.

I think the only reason for the rule in the first place was that it would take forever for some guys to putt out if they could pave their way to the hole.

A tournament at our club once.  The rule was waived and spike marks could be tamped down.

It took forever to finish the round.

Jeffrey:

That's a different story.

How can you tell whether it's a repaired divot or not?

They have to draw the line somewhere or you would be out there forever.

You might as well play 'winter rules' if it's going to be an arbitrary call by yourself.

Originally Posted by camper6

Jeffrey:

That's a different story.

How can you tell whether it's a repaired divot or not?

They have to draw the line somewhere or you would be out there forever.

You might as well play 'winter rules' if it's going to be an arbitrary call by yourself.

Ya I know it can be hard. It just sucks when I see a guy on tour in a huge, clear divot.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Jefferey13

Ya I know it can be hard. It just sucks when I see a guy on tour in a huge, clear divot.

Not really the topic here. The divot one's been discussed multiple times elsewhere, though. I'm sure you can scare up one of those threads. :)

Originally Posted by camper6

I think the only reason for the rule in the first place was that it would take forever for some guys to putt out if they could pave their way to the hole.

A tournament at our club once.  The rule was waived and spike marks could be tamped down.

It took forever to finish the round.

That was my first thought too, but that would also be covered under the slow play rules, I would hope, so they could eliminate this rule without the fear of rounds going to 6 hours.

It wouldn't slow me down though ... I sometimes see a small leaf or piece of pine straw that might be in my line but I don't move those.

I would say that back when greens weren't so smooth, it would have been a big advantage to "smooth" your line to get a better role.  This is probably a rule that no one ever really brings up because they don't pay it any mind..so its never been changed.

The only time I'd call someone on things like that is if they were somehow brushing the green with their putter for some reason...something completely blatant.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

I find the whole rule to be stupid. Another player creates a pitch mark, so you can repair it, but if that other player creates a spike mark, you can't repair it. Makes no sense to me. If anything, it would make the game more fair. You should be allowed to fix spike marks if there are any, instead of having to deal with one yourself, when the next guy got a different line without spike marks. Heck, if one player really wanted to be an ass, he could wear steel spikes and walk all around the hole for good measure. When a player is on the green, he should be able to at least fix depressions in his line that can affect his putt.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Rulesman

They are most likely tapping down incompletely repaired pitch marks.

Referees cannot afford to miss such things. The TV coverage is too tight to take chances.

I bow to your wisdom, but I've seen players on TV tap down at 3 or 4 places on a distance of about 10 feet between their ball and the hole.  None of those places were where their ball landed on the green, so either the group which went through earlier never repaired any ball marks or they are tapping down something else.

Note: This thread is 3251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!