IGNORED

Marking your golf ball.........

BuckeyeNut
Note: This thread is 4281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Shorty

As long as you understand that if you and your partner tee off on a blind hole and go over the hill and the two balls are 20 feet apart and they're both Titleist 1s, you and your partner are both heading back to the tee to play your third shots.

Maybe if I was playing in the PGA tour.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by JerryTimes

I don't mark them.  I don't see the point.  If I'm playing with people, it's not that hard to know which ball is yours

I don't usually have time to mark them.

I'm lucky to have time to play golf.

And when I mark 'em I'm playing a darn course where I lose em!

Recently got a gift of "Maxfli Practice" balls — guaranteed no-one else around is playing those, lol, except my buddy who got the same donation.

if I get to play West Point next week, these straight-flying rocks are my best bet of not ending up in the bushes.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

Maybe if I was playing in the PGA tour.

Maybe if you aren't a cheat.

Not saying YOU are, but why is it so hard to put a dot on your ball?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I bought HX Diablo Tour Overruns (12.96 a dozen btw) from Golfsmith, and they have some record company logo on the side so no need to mark them!

In my  taylormade.gif Stratus Stand bag

Driver:  taylormade.gif 10.5* 2009 Burner

3 Wood: taylormade.gif 2008 Burner

3 Hybrid: taylormade.gif 2008 Burner

Ironstaylormade.gif  Burner 1.0 4-AW

Wedge: Cleveland CG15  56*

Putter:  taylormade.gif Rossa Monza Spider Vicino

Ball Callaway HX Diablo Tour

I usually mark the first one, but if I lose it I typically won't take time to mark the replacement.  I mostly play alone though so it doesn't matter too much.

I don't mark my balls. The odds of someone else, being in the same position, with the same ball, in the past day or two are astronomical and I'll take my chances.

Originally Posted by Shorty

As long as you understand that if you and your partner tee off on a blind hole and go over the hill and the two balls are 20 feet apart and they're both Titleist 1s, you and your partner are both heading back to the tee to play your third shots.

Yesterday, I pulled my first shot, figured it was lost and hit another.  Walked down and saw 2 Titleist ProV1xs #3.  Picked up my provisional, turned around and saw a guy from another hole picking up the other ball.  We both hit the same ball, same number, onto the same fairway, 30 yards apart.  I did mark my balls so on closer inspection, I knew only one was mine.

Today, both myself and the guy I was playing with hit our tee shots in a similar direction.  One ended up in jail, the other just off the fairway.  We were both playing Titleist ProV1x's, #1, and we both marked it with a black line.

Moral of the story--yes, you will have someone else hit the same brand, same number, into the same general area.  Mark it.  Uniquely.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dsc123

Yesterday, I pulled my first shot, figured it was lost and hit another.  Walked down and saw 2 Titleist ProV1xs #3.  Picked up my provisional, turned around and saw a guy from another hole picking up the other ball.  We both hit the same ball, same number, onto the same fairway, 30 yards apart.  I did mark my balls so on closer inspection, I knew only one was mine.

Today, both myself and the guy I was playing with hit our tee shots in a similar direction.  One ended up in jail, the other just off the fairway.  We were both playing Titleist ProV1x's, #1, and we both marked it with a black line.

Moral of the story--yes, you will have someone else hit the same brand, same number, into the same general area.  Mark it.  Uniquely.

From what I've seen, the majority of people mark their balls. Therefore, I have a better chance of keeping my ball unmarked than marking it.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Who ever said it was hard? I don't want to be staring at a dot on my ball.

Furthermore, what's to say the other ball doesn't have a dot on their ball?

I could have written "unique mark" but I assumed you knew what I meant.

Seems not.

Just keep on doing what you are doing.

No need at all for you do conform to any of the conventions of the game.

Just refuse!!

It's a great approach.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Sandy Trap

I usually mark the first one, but if I lose it I typically won't take time to mark the replacement.  I mostly play alone though so it doesn't matter too much.

This is not relevant...................are you kidding me?

The reason to mark is so you can make positive identification when you hit your ball "into the shit" ..................If you do not mark, you cannot identify your ball.   Chances are.....you are just finding a random ball in the weeds of the same brand/number and claiming it as your own because there are no personal identifying marks.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

This is not relevant...................are you kidding me?

The reason to mark is so you can make positive identification when you hit your ball "into the shit"..................If you do not mark, you cannot identify your ball.   Chances are.....you are just finding a random ball in the weeds of the same brand/number and claiming it as your own because there are no personal identifying marks.

I have never wasted my time and the time of people playing behind me by searching through the woods for a ball.  If it goes out, I take the stroke.  I don't lose a lot of balls, but when I do, they are usually gone for good.

If I was playing in a group or a tournament I would make sure to mark any replacement balls.  I have never had any issues.  I know where I hit my ball.  What are the chances of my hitting my ball into the first cut and finding another ball beside it that is the same?  Most balls that I find are weathered (you can tell they have been sitting outside) and I play brand new balls.

You seem very passionate about this topic for some reason.

i had a situation last saturday that remind me of this thread:   par 3, i hit it towards the greenside bunker.  i get to the bunker from my cart that's behind the green and see a ball in the bunker.  same model *and* number of the ball i was playing, but i didn't see my mark.  though my mark does wear out throughout the round, i just figured that's what happened, so i hit the ball, get a bogey, and then one of my playing partners pointed out a ball that was in front of the bunker.. yep that was my ball. with my mark, while faded, very visible.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

I'm not good at paying attention or remembering things, so remembering the brand and number of the ball...let alone which one of the balls out of my bag i am actually using is troublesome...Then how many times i have seen people hitting the same ball in my group or another group... i decided to mark the first letter of my first name real big above the logo on each side of the ball with a sharpie.  Now i don't have to worry about that anymore.

I do like the shit ball idea, too tho haha.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Woooops.......................

002-3.jpg

You all know how I like to mark my golf balls with LOTS OF RED INK?...right? After all, I started this thread.  This unfortunate impact happened just this week...................LOL

Tin Cup...............anyone?

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I keep a green, a blue, and a black sharpie fine-point permanent marker in my bag. I typically mark my balls at home before I play a round when I'm usually having a beer or two and cleaning my clubs. I usually just go with my initials written in a small size on the side of the ball and then color through the alignment arrows and wording on the other side of the ball to make a solid line.

I keep unmarked balls and the markers so that I can place a small dot on a ball, if needed, if we happen to be playing a very serious round - so I'm not looking down at my initials all day.

I just order my golf balls with the number 78 that way I don't have to mark them.

My only problem with golf is that I am usually standing too close to the ball............ after I hit it.
In my bag

Ping G30 Driver

Ping G25 3 wood

Titleist AP2 3-PW

Edel wedges

Edel putter

Note: This thread is 4281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!