IGNORED

Next club to buy

johnwayne
Note: This thread is 4324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Need help deciding which club to buy next:

High handicapper

Taking lessons

Fast club head speed

Driver       250

3 hybrid   195

4 iron       185

5 iron       175

6 iron       165

etc etc etc

Using Nike Driver VRS  Nike Hybrid VRS and Callaway X-12 Irons 4-LW.  No AW or GW

Any suggestions appreciated.

3 wood. gotta have a long club you can hit off the deck and something for when your drivers not working.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

for me the deal was to get 2 cleveland wedges on sale, because i hated hitting the PW and AW that came with the set. a 3 wood is a good deal to get you in between your driver and hybrid. i have some similar distances to yours and the 3 wood helps me get softer shots ~210 because i have a tendency to hit a stinger a lot with my hybrid.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

Excuse me for asking, but what's an AW?   LOL

You need a 3-wood.  You also need proper wedges, but I don't really know what wedges you have.   I don't even know what an A-wedge is?   I recommend 3 wedges for beginners.............pitching, gap, 56deg sand.   As your game develops and improves, then possibly a 4th wedge can be added.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

You need a 3-wood.  You also need proper wedges, but I don't really know what wedges you have.   I don't even know what an A-wedge is?   I recommend 3 wedges for beginners.............pitching, gap, 56deg sand.   As your game develops and improves, then possibly a 4th wedge can be added.

sorry, it's my gap wedge. i wanna say my pitching is 48* and gap is 50* so i picked up a 54* and 58* cleveland for $150, but i scewed up and grabbed the legal ones when i could have had some sweet zip grooves.

edit:

well i called it gap, apparently after googling it stands for approach wedge which sounds very intimidating.

JPX 800 (5-AW)

Tracy

AW and GW is the same thing...stands for approach wedge. But johnwayne, you definitely have a huge gap between your driver and 3 hybrid so go for a 3 or 5 wood. Then get some wedges. I'm guessing you have a PW but you need a GW (or AW) which is 51,52ish, SW (55, 56ish), and a LW (59, 60ish)

A hybrid/rescue club is equal to a 5-wood in distance and nearly interchangeable depending on whether you choose a 2-3.  On the other hand, no 3-wood is a glaring omission.   I don't even carry lofted woods...I hate them!!!

My long clubs are as follows: driver, 3-wood, 18degree rescue, 4-iron......on down............lofted woods aren't even necessary these days. I prefer a rescue club to a 5-wood because the rescue clubs are easier to hit from marginal lies in the rough.  My 2 cents......

What's in Paul's Bag:

A hybrid/rescue club is equal to a 5-wood in distance and nearly interchangeable depending on whether you choose a 2-3.  On the other hand, no 3-wood is a glaring omission.   I don't even carry lofted woods...I hate them!!!

My long clubs are as follows: driver, 3-wood, 18degree rescue, 4-iron......on down............lofted woods aren't even necessary these days. I prefer a rescue club to a 5-wood because the rescue clubs are easier to hit from marginal lies in the rough.  My 2 cents......

my hyrbid has some extra weight to it and really cuts through rough, whereas my three wood tends to get grabbed as soon as it touches anything deeper than fairway grass. by the way my wife and i met at tOSU, which i'm guessing is the reference in your name.

that or you just enjoy semi-poisonous nuts or chocolate covered peanut butter balls.

JPX 800 (5-AW)

Tracy

Originally Posted by tiger187126

my hyrbid has some extra weight to it and really cuts through rough, whereas my three wood tends to get grabbed as soon as it touches anything deeper than fairway grass. by the way my wife and i met at tOSU, which i'm guessing is the reference in your name.

that or you just enjoy semi-poisonous nuts or chocolate covered peanut butter balls.

I don't even think its about the weight.......it's club-head design.  you'll need a great lie to hit 3-wood from the rough. That is a given....

I've experimented with lofted 5-7woods and my results were terrible from rough.  I think the shallow face design makes it hard to hit from rough.  I'd either hit a popup or hit it thin using a lofted wood from the rough...Rescue clubs, on the other hand, I can make solid contact from rough providing it's at least a marginal/average lie.  If it's sitting poorly....I'll opt for an iron.

What's in Paul's Bag:

Thanks all of you, so much great information.  I do have a sand wedge as well as a lob wedge they are both Callaway x 12's.  Just got the Lob wedge this week and the Sand wedge last week still learning their characteristics.  Going to look at buying a 3 wood this week to close that distance, as noted in the advice.  I wonder if I should get the Nike or try something different?

Originally Posted by johnwayne

Thanks all of you, so much great information.  I do have a sand wedge as well as a lob wedge they are both Callaway x 12's.  Just got the Lob wedge this week and the Sand wedge last week still learning their characteristics.  Going to look at buying a 3 wood this week to close that distance, as noted in the advice.  I wonder if I should get the Nike or try something different?

Find a good store that sells a lot of different brands and have them fit you. usually it's free if you buy a club. i went to a place called 2nd swing (not sure if they're national) and they had a ton of clubs and you could get a pretty good deal for a year old club in really good shape and it has a 30 day return policy (store credit, but i can always spend money in a golf store).

JPX 800 (5-AW)

Tracy

Just to follow up bought my 3 wood yesterday, promptly had a fight with my driver, it decided to slice the ball right on every tee, hit the 3 wood from the deck and from the tee enjoyed tee shots again.  Lob wedge came in earlier this week had a chance to hit it with good results. Sand wedge is okay, hard to hit a sand wedge when the sand traps are like concrete.

FYI  Callaway X-12  irons, Nike VRS Driver 3 wood and 21 degree Hybrid and Method Putter.

Hit the 3 wood well yesterday who knows how it goes today, hit from the deck and from the tee and hit fairways with it, or at least not the desert.

Originally Posted by johnwayne

Hit the 3 wood well yesterday who knows how it goes today, hit from the deck and from the tee and hit fairways with it, or at least not the desert.

3 woods are usually easier to hit fairways with than driver. i went out and hit hybrid off of a couple tees and i had much better results than with my driver, even sacrificing the extra yardage.

it's all about what you want to play. if i was trying to score low, i would leave my driver at home, but i like to have fun while i'm out there so if i blast one drive down the fairway out of 5 it's enjoyable to me.

JPX 800 (5-AW)

Tracy

3 wood was by far the best investment I've made as far as my clubs go. I've gained the most use from it. My new driver was nice, but not a ton better than my previous one. My new putter is nice but I'm not shooting any better with it. My irons were a huge help but that was a whole set, and i got a 54 and 58 degree wedge that has helped but not enough to warrant having both. The 3 wood on the other hand has opened up my game a lot. I use it now on almost all par 5's, I'll use it off the tee box for tight windows, the list goes on.

Update played Buffalo Thunder Towa golf course yesterday Boulder 9 and Valley 9, WOW what a great day beautiful scenery and what a great course, Valley 9 has the only island green in New Mexico if the claim is right. That was such a cool experience, the other great hole plays from the top of a mesa with a great view and the last hole is more or less a desert island with an elevated tee box over 2 arroyo's onto a green, gotta love a state that can give you that.  Hit the 3 wood well from the deck, me and my driver made up hit some good tee shots and some bad all in all a great day with great friends.

Note: This thread is 4324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!