IGNORED

Which should be my next ball?

Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which of these should be my next ball?

• Bridgestone E6
    • Nike Mojo
    • Nike Crush
    • Titleist DT Solo
    • Wilson Staff Duo
    • Nike PD (please post which one)
    • Callaway HX Diablo
    • Bridgestone E5
    • Srixon Q-Star
    • Top Flite D2 Straight
    • Top Flite D2 Soft Feel
    • Other (please post brand, model, and reason)

Down to my last few Taylormade Burners and was looking to go to another ball.  While the Burners have good feel off the driver and putter, they don't hold the greens as well as I'd like.  I do tend to fade or slice the ball (a LOT less than I used to though) so I was thinking E6, but I was told they don't hold greens that well.  Not to mention all the info on different golf balls has my head in knots over what to get.  Every single ball I listed is a ball I've played at some point in the past and had no real issues with, so I figured I'd throw it out there to get everyone's opinion.

Please don't go too pricey with other recommendations...don't want to spend a fortune on balls, but I'm thinking its time I may want to go to a mid-priced ball instead of the "value" balls I've been getting.

Dirver:  Burner Superfast (Stiff Shaft) 9.5*----3 wood: Daiwa 3 Metal G-4 Brougham

2 Hybrid: T7 Attack 16*----3 Hybrid: Golden Bear GB Tech 460----4-AW  Burner 2.0 (R Flex)

SW:  56* LW: Mitsubisha 60*  Ball: Nike PD Soft -- Glove:  Weathersof

Your gonna get a lot of biased opinions here. People tend to very brand loyal, and usually to whichever brand they started with. I think you'd get a better response if you chose a brand, and then asked which ball within that brand you should use. +

I'm pretty brand agnostic when it comes to balls.  Given what's on your list, I'd go with the Qstar.  To throw another one out there you may want to try, I'd suggest the Titleist Velocity.  I'd probably choose the Qstar still though, since it's cheaper (at least where I buy balls).

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Your gonna get a lot of biased opinions here. People tend to very brand loyal, and usually to whichever brand they started with. I think you'd get a better response if you chose a brand, and then asked which ball within that brand you should use. +

I actually don't mind the bias. I obviously don't have a preference in terms of brand (I am partial to taylormade but like i said, the burners aren't cutting it anymore. But I'll always be partial to their clubs). I've tried all the balls I've listed and I'd be happy with any of them, so I'm more seeing what others play and getting their opinions before spending on them. Of course the decision is still tough. As for titleist velocity, I've never played them. May pick up a sleeve today and give'm a test tun tomorrow for the 9 holes I'm playing with my dad tomorrow for fathers day (the hell I'm trying to get out on fathers day Sunday! Lol)

Dirver:  Burner Superfast (Stiff Shaft) 9.5*----3 wood: Daiwa 3 Metal G-4 Brougham

2 Hybrid: T7 Attack 16*----3 Hybrid: Golden Bear GB Tech 460----4-AW  Burner 2.0 (R Flex)

• Administrator
http://thesandtrap.com/products/kickx-tour-z-golf-ball/reviews $36/dozen if you use the coupon code.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At a 30 handicap, Nike PD Soft. Or Srixon Soft Feel. These are the balls I played with when I was a wicked high handicap. They can be had for under $20/dz and have a nice soft feel off the face. the one thing I had issues with was chipping and pitching, both balls want to hit and release. There is no hit and sit shot with these at your level. Just learn to play shots 5-10 foot short, expect a release. My2c

edit: I now am pushing handicap down to 16 this month, still showing 18 though gotta update that I guess.

- Currently playing the Srixon Z-Star, having worked a ton around the green I wanted a ball I could play more hit and sit shots.

Srixon Q-Star or Bridgestone E5, IMO.  I said the E5 because it has a softer cover and will hold the greens better than the E6.  I feel your pain on the E6.  I love that ball for how straight it flies but you have to play some rollout with it because unless you hit towering shots its not going to hold the greens all that well.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I just tried the E5 last night in my league (normally play the B-330-RX).  I liked it and couldn't tell much of a difference.  Let's put it this way: I have always loved the RX but it would be very tough for me to justify playing it over the E5 for the price difference.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

A 30 and you still buy golf balls? Jesus I guess you guys would be horrified to hear I have played with what I can find for 10 years.

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

I play the Titleist NXT Tour and I love them. They feel really nice on approach shots and respond accordingly. My one knock on them is they do feel a little clicky off the face of my putter

I've been looking for one reasonably priced ball to use, and really like the yellow ones.  It has to be long enough off the tee, and has to spin and stop on the green. Going by the chart in the May issue of GD, I've tried DT-Solo, NXT Tour S, Q-Star, Z-Star, and even some white MaxFli U/2, and TF D2 Feel. The Z-Star is the only one of those with enough spin off a wedge to suit me, but it's expensive.  Long story short, I have found the ball I will be using for some time to come; it's the new yellow Callaway Hex Chrome. It is as long as any of those, and longer than most, for my 96mph driver swing, does not spin too much off the driver, the trajectory is higher than most of those others, and it spins and stops great.  I didn't want to pay 36/box for balls, but haven't been totally satisfied with any of the cheaper ones.

After all my trouble, I'm sure they'll stop making them next week!!!

I love to hate this game!

As a 30 that doesnt think the taylormades hold the greens to your liking, there is only one choice - Titleist Pro V1 - they will hold the greens like no tomorrow and cut that handicap in half! Plus there is no better high as a 30 HC than hitting one of those over(into) water!

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

At a 30hcp, there is no way I would buy Pro V1's.   Too much spin, which will be too much sidespin for somebody at that level (I have tried them when I have found them.   I HATE them!  Now I just save them for a buddy that likes Titleist balls.)

I've played the e6 it was what Bridgestone "fit" me with at one of their fittings, so I tried them out.   Didn't like it.  Kinda liked the e7 but not as well as the Gamer.   I have also played the HX Diablo.   It is a pretty good ball but it doesn't hold greens very well either.  After playing around with various balls, I have settled on the Top Flite Gamer V2 as my everyday ball.  It goes just about like the HX Diablo distance wise but holds greens real nice.   As a bonus, you can often pick up the Gamer for about $10/doz. on ebay.

My favorite is the Callaway Hex Chrome.  That bad boy is L-O-N-G and holds greens really well.   But at this stage of my game, I can't justify the $36/doz. as a regular, everyday ball.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

PD Soft

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

Irony of Ironies....my dad gave me a box of Pro-V1's he found in his closet.  He can't hit them to save his life, and they were a gift, so he gave them to me.  I'll probably play them till I lose them just to test them...so it was a dozen balls....that will probably last me about 3 holes!  Actually, I might just play them on par 3's when I'm just going iron, and use a different ball on long holes...again, until I lose them all.

In reality, I'm still tossed on what I'm gonna buy, but I definitely leaning towards the Q-Star, Hex Chrome, or PD Soft.  Will probably all come down to whats on sale!

I voted for the Q-Stars.  They have been my ball of choice the last few rounds and I really like them.  Although I really want to try E5's to compared the spin around the greens.

Originally Posted by Josh531

In reality, I'm still tossed on what I'm gonna buy, but I definitely leaning towards the Q-Star, Hex Chrome, or PD Soft.  Will probably all come down to whats on sale!

Those three are all very different, but will hold a green much better than what you're using.

Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!