IGNORED

Are irons always only sold in sets?

Note: This thread is 4304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went to Dicks yesterday to see a store with a large selection of golf gear and it was pretty cool.  I noticed that you can buy almost every club separately except for irons, which only seem to come in sets (unless I missed something).  Is there a reason for this?  If you wanted to change a specific iron, you would have to purchase an entire set?

When one buys irons, one [i]typically[/i] buys a set. Now, the definition of "set" is a changing a little, with fewer and fewer people carrying even a 4-iron anymore (that's another story for another time). But most sets are sold 4-PW+AW (8 clubs total), and many people will buy all eight, even if they're leaving two or three of the clubs out for one reason or another. Now, that doesn't mean you have to buy it that way. For example, a few years ago, I wanted a Nike VR Blade pitching wedge. I didn't want to change my other irons, and I didn't want to spend for the set. But I asked my local store to order JUST the PW in my specs (length, lie, shaft, etc). It cost me 1/8 the cost of the set. It's rare for someone to go to a store to get an individual iron, so they don't have a display of separate irons.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by lhrocker

I went to Dicks yesterday to see a store with a large selection of golf gear and it was pretty cool.  I noticed that you can buy almost every club separately except for irons, which only seem to come in sets (unless I missed something).  Is there a reason for this?  If you wanted to change a specific iron, you would have to purchase an entire set?

You can custom order individual irons. The individual components of an iron set are not likely to be big sellers at the retail level, and where they are sought after, they're sometimes available.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

As stated by other, you generally have to order them. Other than that, the only time I have seen individual irons sold at a retailer, they were last years model and were demo clubs.

Most people buy irons as a set but you can sometimes find individual irons on Ebay.  They arent exactly cheap, especially for newer irons but they can be found.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Most companies sell seperates. Ping does. Wilson does. I just ordered a 3iron. When I bought my PING's a few years ago, i bought them 3 at a time. Mizuno sells single Irons. As does Nike and Titleist. I would say they all do, just find a pro shop that sells what you want. Big box stores may not be able to, but I would say they can.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Most companies sell seperates. Ping does. Wilson does. I just ordered a 3iron. When I bought my PING's a few years ago, i bought them 3 at a time. Mizuno sells single Irons. As does Nike and Titleist. I would say they all do, just find a pro shop that sells what you want. Big box stores may not be able to, but I would say they can.

^ Pretty much. I think it's a great way to go. If you're a 13 handicap you could get Titleist AP2s for your 7-PW and 3-6 AP1s. That gives you forgiveness in the less lofted clubs and more feel in the shorter ones. Just an example.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

Note: This thread is 4304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!