IGNORED

Most difficult course you've ever played....

Note: This thread is 3992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Eagle Crest - Ypsillanti, Michigan

It's Eastern Michigan's golf course and it is rough. I think like 13 of the 18 holes have water in play. The bunkers are atrocious too. I'm normally a good bunker player, but the sand in these bunkers was something different.

I'd like to go back to that course to get some revenge from that 96 I shot... just could not find my swing that day. Hook, slice, straight, never consistent.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Originally Posted by Clubchucker

I would have to say Old Corkscrew in Estero, FL (just north of Naples).  Jack Nicklaus design.  Played it a few times and it's not only tough but beautiful.  Heard that the reason the Senior Tour doesn't hold their event there is because it's too tough.  I always tell people you will not have a straight putt outside 3" on the entire course (slight exaggeration but not much) however I will say I enjoy the challenge.  Posted some good scores there and....not so good.

I want to play that course!  I don't think I've ever played a course with that high of a slope rating!  I'd probably play terrible but oh well, it would be fun!

• 2 weeks later...

It was "Augusta National" for me. But, the course was in Staunton, Virginia not Georgia. I was a #3 golfer on my high school golf team. We won the northern conference and was at the Staunton course for the regional tourney, which preceded the state tourney. For some reason the course fairways and rough were not cut and we had to play every shot like it was out of the rough and when you actually hit into the rough it was like twice as deep as normal. Everyone was losing balls and having to go back to the original spot to play the next shot - stroke plus distance.  A two day event, it didn't go very well for me or my team. Now it's known as Ingleside Golf Club and I'd love to go back and play it again for old times sake.

Golf kept me close to my father during the four years in the 1960's that I worked for him on weekends as his caddy. I didn't play then, but later did start playing once he insisted "it was time". It's been a joy ever since.

Adams Tight Lies 2 ST Driver 9 Deg.
Adams Tight Lies 2 ST 3 Wood
Future owner of Titleist Irons & Vokey Wedges
1968 Shakespeare Gary Player Signature Mallet Putter (A gift from my Dad)

• 3 months later...

Fair View farms in Connecticut was very tough for me it was the site of the state tournament for our division needless to say the course was very long at least by the standards that I tend to play. There was also allot of severe doglegs and elevation drop offs it was in beautiful condition though.

Atunyote golf club at Turning Stone Resort in Verona, NY. I played there about 2 weeks before the PGA Tour fall stop. The course is quite wide open, but it's set up for the Tour was brutal. It's 7482 yards from the back tees with 75.6 / 140. You could rarely find a ball in the rough.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Me and my cousin played Secret Harbour golf course about a month ago, it's pretty close to the ocean and it was blowing all day. I played very average, I think I had 58 shots for 9. It was a love rly course and I had fun, but I hope i never play like again. In my defense I had only been playing for 2 months. I'm not really sure what I expected of myself. In all reality, any course I play is bloody hard for me. But I'm working on it

R11s driver 

R11s 3 wood

Rescue 11 3  18*

Rescue 11 4  21*

MP-59 5-pw

ATV wedge 54* 60*

Metal-X 2 ball putter

3.0 buggy

DX-3 ball

FLX glove

Shoes

Towel

Oakley antix sunglasses 

solar umbrella 

Bethpage Black. i played the black course 2 weeks before the barclays stop there this year. The rough was WAY up and the greens were running VERY fast. That and coupled with a 15-20mph wind and a slight rainy drizzle and it was hell. The bartender at the time told me id be lucky to break 120 with the conditions that day... i thought i did well by carding a 97.... birdied the 553 yard par 5 7th and pard the 8th too!

heres my view from the fairway comming up the 7th...

Old Corkscrew is tremendously hard. It is hard to say something is more difficult, but even though I only played it twice, I think The Honors Course was harder. I never did play Old Corkscrew when it was REALLY windy, so that could change things. Funny thing is, I hear they SOFTENED it a little in the past few years! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Carnoustie, Scotland, in wind and rain.   Nothing comparable on earth---it wasn't dubbed "Carnasty" for nothing.

But having played all the Open Championship courses in Britain, and in the Open on more than one occasion, I have to say they are no fun.   I greatly prefer the many,.many unknown courses, mainly in Scotland, of incomparable beauty such as Callander and Comrie in Perthshire and  particularly Rosemount.   If any of you Americans are visiting Britain, PLEASE do not confine your golf to the famous courses----there are numerous sublime courses you would love.....and we want you to enjoy such a visit, not tire yourselves out playing inhospitable tracks like Carnoustie !  Not just that, but courses like the Old Course at St. Andrews are difficult to get on, and then cost over 250 dollars a round, whilst a superb, enjoyable course like Callander is around 30 dollars !

Originally Posted by HighlandLaird

Carnoustie, Scotland, in wind and rain.   Nothing comparable on earth---it wasn't dubbed "Carnasty" for nothing.

But having played all the Open Championship courses in Britain, and in the Open on more than one occasion, I have to say they are no fun.   I greatly prefer the many,.many unknown courses, mainly in Scotland, of incomparable beauty such as Callander and Comrie in Perthshire and  particularly Rosemount.   If any of you Americans are visiting Britain, PLEASE do not confine your golf to the famous courses----there are numerous sublime courses you would love.....and we want you to enjoy such a visit, not tire yourselves out playing inhospitable tracks like Carnoustie !  Not just that, but courses like the Old Course at St. Andrews are difficult to get on, and then cost over 250 dollars a round, whilst a superb, enjoyable course like Callander is around 30 dollars !

if and when i make the treck to the old country for a golf trip - the old course St. Andrews needs to be on the list...there is just no way i am going on a trip there without it.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Pine Barrens at World Woods (Florida) or Pointe o Woods in Benton Harbor Michigan. They are both tough regardless of weather conditions.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Koolau on Oahu. Off the charts slope rating. I birdied 18 and got a hero's welcome. 18 is the #1 hdcp hole. I put my name in a book and the course sent me a very nice golf bag embroidered with their name and insignia and the umbrella sleeve is embroidered " I conquered the toughest hole in the Nation" I shot 96 and lost about 6-8 balls.

MP68  Classic Putter  I20 8.5*  Wedges

RBZ 3 & 5 woods  Hex Black

Owner/Operator Stellar Interiors

• 2 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 3992 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!