IGNORED

The UFC/MMA/Etc. Thread

Kapanda
Note: This thread is 3188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Kapanda

You guys bet on the Dolphins beating the Patriots every year, right? I mean, they did it that one time...

haha, good one.  styles make fights.  i'd bet my life savings that 99/100, when an all-american olympic level wrestler fights a muay thai kickboxer, that fight is going to the ground; it's just depends on when the wrestler wants to take it there.  so using that analogy (trying to call sonnen's dominance in their first fight a fluke) is wrong.

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

haha, good one.  styles make fights.  i'd bet my life savings that 99/100, when an all-american olympic level wrestler fights a muay thai kickboxer, that fight is going to the ground; it's just depends on when the wrestler wants to take it there.  so using that analogy (trying to call sonnen's dominance in their first fight a fluke) is wrong.

Though the premise of your point is correct, Silva's fights have often been supposed to be stylistic challenges to him for years, and only when he had bruised ribs - which were broken on the first round of the fight - and was facing roided up opponent did he finally seem to be "stylistically challenged".

The guy is above and beyond everyone but Bones in the UFC. I say that based on what he has shown us through the years.

tell me silva didn't know how lucky he got when he pulled that sub by the skin of his teeth.

It's always awesome when your suspicion that someone doesn't know what they are talking about gets confirmed.

He does that after every fight, no matter how much he clowns the other guy.

Though the premise of your point is correct, Silva's fights have often been supposed to be stylistic challenges to him for years, and only when he had bruised ribs - which were broken on the first round of the fight - and was facing roided up opponent did he finally seem to be "stylistically challenged".

The guy is above and beyond everyone but Bones in the UFC. I say that based on what he has shown us through the years.

It's always awesome when your suspicion that someone doesn't know what they are talking about gets confirmed.

He does that after every fight, no matter how much he clowns the other guy.

troll or serious?

the injury occurred during his camp leading up, not, "on the first round of the fight." it's widely known by mma noobs the rumor that doctors issued him a caution not to fight...so what does that make you...an mma fetus?

the only challenge remotely close to what sonnen presented was his fight with hendo, and hendo gassed hard; sonnen has cardio for days.

get out of here with this "roided" up bs.  educate yourself on t/e ratios and testosterone replacement therapy for hormone pathologies, then come back and troll some more.

edit: *acknowledges kapanda knew about the bruised ribs before the fight - lowers troll filter for the time being*

He bruised his ribs before the fight, broke it during the fight, you MMA sperm you!

Didn't want to go through the whole testosterone blah blah blah, so I just said roided up. Regardless, the T/E ratio gave Sonnen an advantage - unfair or otherwise.

I never said others challenged Silva the way Sonnen did, I said he was supposed to have been stylistically challenged before, only to go ahead and embarrass whoever is put in front of him.

He bruised his ribs before the fight, broke it during the fight, you MMA sperm you!

Didn't want to go through the whole testosterone blah blah blah, so I just said roided up. Regardless, the T/E ratio gave Sonnen an advantage - unfair or otherwise.

iirc, he didn't bow to hendo after their fight, he went on to say via ed soares how, "rich franklin is a true champion, and dan henderson isn't," blah, blah - totally disrespecting him.

read the edit in my above post.  you've been promoted form fetus to toddler...congratulations!

I never said others challenged Silva the way Sonnen did, I said he was supposed to have been stylistically challenged before, only to go ahead and embarrass whoever is put in front of him.

stylistically challenged by who?  i guess you could make a case for marquardt, but nate isn't half the wrestler chael is, and sonnen imposed his will against him (nate) when they fought.

Ahh, Chael huggers??!!

Chael has a tough chin?? Did you guys miss what Anderson did to Forrest Griffin? You telling me Chael has a tougher chin??

That first fight with Chael was the first time in years that Anderson looked human. Post-fight check-ups confirmed his broken ribs (as per b/r), Chael had an abnormally high testosterone ratio, and you guys think that the first fight was indicative of what is to come?

Believe you me guys, Chael will lose his belt in two weeks time! -- see what I just did there? I tried to see things from your persective!

Actually, I'm a long time Anderson fan.  Been watching him for many years.  So no Chael hugger here....or any fighter hugger here.  As an mma guy, I call them like I see them

You do realize that his T/E ratio was what was off?  You do realize that if your T level drops lower, that throws your T/E ratio off as well, right?  So basically Chael's level was off but no one can tell him what was off....just his ratio.  So technically.....his T could have been much lower than his E and it would have brought about the same charge.  If your average guy has low T, his T/E ratios are out of whack.   Roided up...come on man. That's what guys that have no clue about steroids say when a guy is better at something.  I hope you are not so naive that you think steroids isn't not rampant in the UFC....I would say (from reading what other fighters have said) that, at the very least, half of the fighters use.

Here is what I know....Anderson has terrible TDD against top wrestlers.  Sonnen is a top wrestler.  Normally with wrestlers at that level, they dictate where the fight goes.  Sonnen's chin is as tough as Forrest's if not tougher.  Sonnen has never been KO'd.  He's been TKO'd, but not Ko'd.  Sonnen has descent enough standup to get in on Anderson and can control him on the ground.

Now for Anderson...amazing stand up.  Great chin.  Good BJJ. Terrible wrestling.  If Anderson can keep this on the feet, it's his fight to lose.  If he can't, it's Sonnen's fight to lose.

And as far as the hugger comment  (which is your typical comment from someone that is a true hugger and can't use logical reasoning for both fighters) I am a fan of fighting.  I do like some guys more than others (in this case that would be Anderson because I won't him to continue his dominance), but I am also reasonable and love to analyze fights.  If I think the guy I like the most is going to lose, then I will tell you.   That doesn't mean I think Anderson will lose this fight. If I were putting money on it, I would put it on Anderson.  But I also don't think it's a smart thing to count out Sonnen so easily....especially after the first fight. I understand that whole ribs issue, but a lot of that came from Sonnen pounding those ribs on the ground.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Admittedly, my previous rashness was unnecessary. It was just for the lulz.

The roided up thing was in reference to the T/E ratio. I knew it was a ratio of testosterone to something, didn't remember what that something was, so I just said roided up. Should've known that wasn't gona fly.

Not so sure Sonnen's chin has been tested as much as Forrest's, who stands toe to toe and exchanges with more powerful fighters than Chael does.

The points on Sonnen's wrestling are well taken, and it's obviously dumb to say that Chael doesn't have a chance - he's already proven he does. But Anderson has a history of dismissing supposedly testing fighters, and the one time that he does not do so (except for the one KO yeeears ago), is when his body is severely hindered, and his opponent has an amped up t/e ratio.

Which, by the way, I am quite sure Sonnen would admit that it gave him an advantage. When he was being interviewed on Overeem's case, he explained the thing and said something to the effect of "whether it gives him an advantage or not is a different question. Competitors look for ways to gain an advantage, but that is not against the rules."

So, I'm skeptic that Chael's wrestling, especially a second time around, will be enough of a factor to make Anderson look ordinary again. Given Silva's track record, and the fact that the one time he did look ordinary there were serious hindering anomalies, I find it more likely that the last bout was due more to the anomalies than Chael's wrestling. Especially since Chael doesn't look like the answer in any other fight neither. He almost lost against Bisping, he was a contender in WEC, so, all other fighters that Anderson would likely destroy have given Sonnen a run for his money, further indicating that the rib and the t/e ratio were the real culprits in Silva's 4 round loss (and 5th round submission win).

And while we're at it, let me also say that there really is no good reason for rules against performance enhancing drugs. They should all be abolished. So my "roided up" comment definitely wasn't supposed to be degrading in any sense. I was typing on the fly.

stylistically challenged by who?  i guess you could make a case for marquardt, but nate isn't half the wrestler chael is, and sonnen imposed his will against him (nate) when they fought.

Can't remember which fight it was, but there was a fight his ground game was supposed to have been challenged, because he was facing a particularly good ground fighter. I didn't watch the fight, which is why it isn't coming to mind.

Forrest is a guy that stands and exchanges, gladly taking blows to the face. And there were people talking about how that might "stylistically" be a problem for Anderson. And, to be fair, that was the first time we saw a fighter drop someone while moving backwards.

Admittedly, my previous rashness was unnecessary. It was just for the lulz.

The roided up thing was in reference to the T/E ratio. I knew it was a ratio of testosterone to something, didn't remember what that something was, so I just said roided up. Should've known that wasn't gona fly.

Not so sure Sonnen's chin has been tested as much as Forrest's, who stands toe to toe and exchanges with more powerful fighters than Chael does.

The points on Sonnen's wrestling are well taken, and it's obviously dumb to say that Chael doesn't have a chance - he's already proven he does. But Anderson has a history of dismissing supposedly testing fighters, and the one time that he does not do so (except for the one KO yeeears ago), is when his body is severely hindered, and his opponent has an amped up t/e ratio.

Which, by the way, I am quite sure Sonnen would admit that it gave him an advantage. When he was being interviewed on Overeem's case, he explained the thing and said something to the effect of "whether it gives him an advantage or not is a different question. Competitors look for ways to gain an advantage, but that is not against the rules."

So, I'm skeptic that Chael's wrestling, especially a second time around, will be enough of a factor to make Anderson look ordinary again. Given Silva's track record, and the fact that the one time he did look ordinary there were serious hindering anomalies, I find it more likely that the last bout was due more to the anomalies than Chael's wrestling. Especially since Chael doesn't look like the answer in any other fight neither. He almost lost against Bisping, he was a contender in WEC, so, all other fighters that Anderson would likely destroy have given Sonnen a run for his money, further indicating that the rib and the t/e ratio were the real culprits in Silva's 4 round loss (and 5th round submission win).

He was actually sub'd and not KO'd.    It does give an advantage but it's something that everyone does either naturally or not.   You COULD go as far as saying guy A with a much higher than normal test level naturally has an advantage over guy B who has a naturally lower Test level.  And he still has not gotten an answer from the NSAC about what rule he broke.  He has a very legitimate argument.  But that is beside the point.

I don't think the rib injury or test levels had much to do with the wrestling.  Anderson is known for bad TDD and Sonnen has one of the best TDs in MMA.  With that being said, Okami was supposed to be too much of a wrestler for Silva as well....and we see what happened there.  I agree that Anderson's standup was really terrible in that fight and that was unusual.  But was that the rib (which was just bruised), was it the fear of the TD, or just a combination of both?  No one knows that but Anderson.

Ahhh...but you can't use MMA math as styles make fights!

And while we're at it, let me also say that there really is no good reason for rules against performance enhancing drugs. They should all be abolished. So my "roided up" comment definitely wasn't supposed to be degrading in any sense. I was typing on the fly.

I don't care one way or the other.  I just think they should either start using strict testing, or just let it happen.  I'm tired of fights being tainted with this issue.

Bryan A

You know what the best part of this is? There is a very good chance that one of us will get to go "I told you so" in about a week and a half's time!

Right now, pure speculation. I definitely hear your points though, and they are legit.

You know what the best part of this is? There is a very good chance that one of us will get to go "I told you so" in about a week and a half's time!

Right now, pure speculation. I definitely hear your points though, and they are legit.

I hear you. I don't do the I told you so's.  Those come back to bite to often.

The good news is, if Chael does win....we get to see a 3rd fight.

Here is how I would like to see it.  If Anderson wins, I hope it's because he came out with 150% of his skill and just destroyed Sonnen and put on a show!!    If it is a drawn out decision, I hope Sonnen wins because maybe that will put some fire under Anderson to bring it completely every time.

Bryan A

I've been on the fence but I see it going differently than last fight.

I thinking Anderson hurts Chael badly this time around.

Griffins chin isn't what it was when he fought Bonner for the Ultimate Fighter contract.  He's been rocked by just about everyone he's fought in the last two years and seems a bit punch drunk from being a tough guy that blocks more punches with his face than his hands.

Chael is on TRT due to medical condition so I doubt he'll test much differently.  I don't believe anything that comes out of Soares mouth so for all we know Chael broke Andersons ribs at the beginning of the fight and they used a training injury as an excuse for a lousy fight.

Ahh, Chael huggers??!!

Chael has a tough chin?? Did you guys miss what Anderson did to Forrest Griffin? You telling me Chael has a tougher chin??

That first fight with Chael was the first time in years that Anderson looked human. Post-fight check-ups confirmed his broken ribs (as per b/r), Chael had an abnormally high testosterone ratio, and you guys think that the first fight was indicative of what is to come?

Believe you me guys, Chael will lose his belt in two weeks time! -- see what I just did there? I tried to see things from your persective!

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!