IGNORED

The UFC/MMA/Etc. Thread

Kapanda
Note: This thread is 3160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just an FYI: "Eu vou bater nele porque a mae dele nunca bateu nele" is being translated as "I will beat him as his parents should have", but it really should be translated as "I will beat him because his mother never did".

It means more that Chael is gona get f'd bad because he was never disciplined. Sounds jokes in Brazilian Portuguese.

I have never seen Anderson so fired up about a fight.  We have never, IMO, seen Anderson fight 100%.  I have a feeling this one will be different.

One thing I did notice is that Chael wouldn't look him in the eye at the staredown.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sonnen won't look him in the eye not out of fear but to show his lack of respect towards Silva.  It's all head games with Chael, he wants Silva so pissed when he walks into the fight he'll make a stupid mistake.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Sonnen won't look him in the eye not out of fear but to show his lack of respect towards Silva.  It's all head games with Chael, he wants Silva so pissed when he walks into the fight he'll make a stupid mistake.

I guess.  He wouldn't look Wandy in the eye when Wandy was going off on him in the van either.   Sonnen didn't have a problem with eye contact the other times.  Not to mention the fact that Silva pushed him back 5-10 feet.  I'm starting to think Sonnen may have bitten off more than he can chew on this one.  If Anderson shows the TDD he had against Okami, it won't end well for Sonnen

It all depends on the take down

Bryan A

To be realistic, Sonnen isn't that great an MMA fighter.  He's proportionally over rated to the same degree Silva is.  Sonnen knows how to hype a fight and put people in the seats and Silva is a fighter most people outside of Brazil want to see lose so it results in major $$$ for UFC.  I agree, if Silva can defend Sonnens take downs he will pick him apart with striking.  I think Sonnen knows this and is trying to get Anderson so pissed that Silva forces the action rather than counter strike and leaves himself open for td and ground and pound.

Originally Posted by TN94z

I guess.  He wouldn't look Wandy in the eye when Wandy was going off on him in the van either.   Sonnen didn't have a problem with eye contact the other times.  Not to mention the fact that Silva pushed him back 5-10 feet.  I'm starting to think Sonnen may have bitten off more than he can chew on this one.  If Anderson shows the TDD he had against Okami, it won't end well for Sonnen

It all depends on the take down

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

To be realistic, Sonnen isn't that great an MMA fighter.  He's proportionally over rated to the same degree Silva is.  Sonnen knows how to hype a fight and put people in the seats and Silva is a fighter most people outside of Brazil want to see lose so it results in major $$$ for UFC.  I agree, if Silva can defend Sonnens take downs he will pick him apart with striking.  I think Sonnen knows this and is trying to get Anderson so pissed that Silva forces the action rather than counter strike and leaves himself open for td and ground and pound.

I agree...I'm just splitting hairs.  We all know that it is a wrestler's sport at this moment.  They dictate where the fight goes and the main job of their opponent is to stuff the take down.  Some have a little stand up which makes them exciting and some are more into the dry humping their way to a decision.  IMO, Sonnen is a mix.  He has just good enough standup to get in for the take down and then dry humps his opponent to a decision.  He doesn't have much in the way of KO power if he can beat a man for 24 minutes and never so much as daze him.

I think Anderson just needs to come at Sonnen with strikes and save the leg kicks for very specific moments and use his foot work.  A wrestlers' best friend in MMA is the leg kick.  They catch it and you are likely going down.  Then they have such a good base that it takes forever to get them off.  I hated rolling with wrestlers!!

I am pretty pumped for this one.  The card is actually kind of lacking in what I would call a good card but I will buy it anyway just to see this fight....of course I will have friends splitting it.

Bryan A

silva is so gotten too here; totally out of character for him.  hype or hatred?  i'm not sure what to expect.  if he comes out on the offensive, that plays right into a sonnen power double leg.  it's going to be hard for him (silva) to keep his emotions in check on fight night.  he's usually the loose, calm, relaxed, assassin type; clearly not here.

we'll see.

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

silva is so gotten too here; totally out of character for him.  i'm not sure what to expect.  if he comes out on the offensive, that plays right into a sonnen power double leg.  it's going to be hard for him (silva) to keep his emotions in check on fight night.  he's usually the loose, calm, relaxed, assassin type; clearly not here.

we'll see.

I just don't know about it though.  That's what's tough with Anderson.  It may not be that Sonnen has "gotten" to him in a way that affects his performance.  It may be that it took someone like Sonnen to get Anderson fired up and really mentally into a fight. I mean, he was just a little pissed at Maia and look at how he made him look!  This reaction could mean two different things.  The problem is we don't know how Anderson fights when he's like this because we haven't really seen him like this before.

IMO, Anderson just has a different feel to me.  It's almost like Sonnen has woken the tiger....and that may not be a good thing.

Bryan A

Originally Posted by TN94z

I just don't know about it though.  That's what's tough with Anderson.  It may not be that Sonnen has "gotten" to him in a way that affects his performance.  It may be that it took someone like Sonnen to get Anderson fired up and really mentally into a fight. I mean, he was just a little pissed at Maia and look at how he made him look!  This reaction could mean two different things.  The problem is we don't know how Anderson fights when he's like this because we haven't really seen him like this before.

IMO, Anderson just has a different feel to me.  It's almost like Sonnen has woken the tiger....and that may not be a good thing.

that's true as well.  either way, this fight should attract a lot of casual fans, and help elevate the sport.  it should be a good night for mma and the UFC, because one thing is for sure, this isn't going to be a guida vs maynard.

When we rolled, it was before his fight with trigg, which should date me, and I think he was only a blue, which I was. It was however a huge learning experience, first just realizing that their was a man who could put me on my back like a baby. Even given my scary regional level high school wrestling lol. Seriously, he cant be taken down or swept by anyone near his size. Have you all noticed a different look in Andersons eyes when he is a little apprehensive of his opponent.  Notice Hendo, Franklin 1, or especially Belfort, he really turns focused and kind of animal like.

Anderson hasn't had a real challenge in many years.  Most guys were so intimidated by his skills they were beat before they ever entered the octagon.  Silva didn't make Maia look bad, Maia made himself look bad.  Some of those take down attempts were pathetic and so telegraphed he could have sent them western union.  Sonnen is either going to make this the fight of the year or the bust of the year.  He talked a lot of stuff about Bisping but didn't finish him.  If he fights Anderson like he did Bisping he's going to lose.

Anderson has to maintain composure because Chael will be too happy to take him down and keep him on his back for 25 minutes.  I want to see Chael win, and if he brings his A game he will but I thought he'd destroy Bisping and was pretty disappointed.

Joe Paradiso

Last fight Chael was able to set up his takedowns by controlling the distance and boxing. I dont see that again happening, so will that compromise is takedowns if hes already losing the strikiing battle.

I can see how Sonnen wins this, much of the same as last time, minus a choke (lol literally), but I think the odds are so stacked against him...

Same old. I'm actually looking for a little more aggressiveness of some sort from Chael, which will antagonise Anderson even more.

But who knows.

Just watched bleacher report's all access interview with Chael.

It reminded me that the guy is a grinding hard worker. Absolutely dislike his mouth, but I can't help but feel deep respect and appreciation for anyone that hustles and grinds day after day.

Note: This thread is 3160 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!