IGNORED

Beau Hossler gets Congressional invite

TN94z
Note: This thread is 4317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf isn't the "get rich" sport like the contract sports.....you make millions in golf with longevity, not hype.....michelle wie the exception.

He ought to go to college and sharpen his game....keep working....turn pro when HE feels its the right time....and I don't think he feels its the right time now

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

He could go to college and have his game fall apart.  Cash in now and you can go to any college you want if things don't pan out.  If things do pan out and his career is that of a PGA golfer then I can think of no better place to learn your trade then practice on the PGA tour.

And to whoever said he isn't marketable because he looks like a doofus, I would say he is one of the most talked about stories on the tour this year despite the merits of it and can make some money for someone.

What's in my Micro Lite Bag:

Driver: RocketBallz Tour 9
3 Wood: V Steel 15 degree
3-PW: 762 DCIGW: CG 12 52 degree

SW/LW: spin milled 56/11, 60/7

Putter: 2 Ball 35"

Originally Posted by BMac0223

He could go to college and have his game fall apart.  Cash in now

The point is that if his game is going to fall apart in college, it is going to fall apart as a pro........so he turns pro now, signs a couple of deals and makes a good run for 6-12 months getting sponsors exemptions....if his game then falls apart, he'll spend what he has made chasing the dream....if you are actually considering the possibility that his game isn't really as good as showing now (and I think it is), you can make an argument that college is a MUCH better financial choice......just sayin..

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Originally Posted by BMac0223

He could go to college and have his game fall apart.  Cash in now and you can go to any college you want if things don't pan out.  If things do pan out and his career is that of a PGA golfer then I can think of no better place to learn your trade then practice on the PGA tour.

Coming from more of a background studying (in some cases knowing) hockey players and up and coming prospects I would say it is better to wait and mature in college instead of jumping into the big dance right away.  here are my reasons:

1) In all honesty what harm could come from tearing up the college circuit? If he finds it too easy then he gets some much needed confidence

2) Lets say he jumps into pro right away first 3 months he never makes a cut, that is tough for even a pro to take yet alone a kid who can't even buy beer yet?

Pro may be a good idea but young players (in all sports) put under too much pressure can collapse quite easily and ruin their careers.

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

Originally Posted by BallStriker

Golf isn't the "get rich" sport like the contract sports.....you make millions in golf with longevity, not hype.....michelle wie the exception.

He ought to go to college and sharpen his game....keep working....turn pro when HE feels its the right time....and I don't think he feels its the right time now

Agreed.

Let's keep this in context - a 17-year old had a T29 in the US Open.

The potential is certainly there to be a successful pro, but not yet. That banana is still pretty green.

Has anyone mentioned Justin Rose yet?

T4 at the Open in 1998 at roughly the same age. Turned pro immediately. Missed 21 consecutive cuts. Got his card. Lost his card. Got his card again. Grew up, acquired some seasoning and turned into a very, very good player.

Faster is not always better.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Agreed.

Let's keep this in context - a 17-year old had a T29 in the US Open.

The potential is certainly there to be a successful pro, but not yet. That banana is still pretty green.

That's a plausible argument to make. If he's not ready, then getting ready is important, of course.

Slower also isn't always better. And in an alternative world, Rose goes to college for 4 years, turns pro, misses 21 cuts. Got card. Lost card, Learned how to play as a pro and turns into a very good player. What is the difference? In this world his pro career is 4 years shorter. Amateur golf is not  pro golf. Maybe you can learn the lessons you need during it but maybe you just have to go pro and figure it out.

I am not saying anyone should go pro at 17.   But doing it also isn't crazy if you can find someone to fund your golf game for the next 4 years.   There is nothing magical about college. Now if you plan on going pro in anyway counts on winning Big Break, your insane...

Originally Posted by Stretch

Has anyone mentioned Justin Rose yet?

T4 at the Open in 1998 at roughly the same age. Turned pro immediately. Missed 21 consecutive cuts. Got his card. Lost his card. Got his card again. Grew up, acquired some seasoning and turned into a very, very good player.

Faster is not always better.

Originally Posted by x129

Slower also isn't always better. And in an alternative world, Rose goes to college for 4 years, turns pro, misses 21 cuts. Got card. Lost card, Learned how to play as a pro and turns into a very good player. What is the difference? In this world his pro career is 4 years shorter. Amateur golf is not  pro golf. Maybe you can learn the lessons you need during it but maybe you just have to go pro and figure it out.

I am not saying anyone should go pro at 17.   But doing it also isn't crazy if you can find someone to fund your golf game for the next 4 years.   There is nothing magical about college. Now if you plan on going pro in anyway counts on winning Big Break, your insane...

I always feel jumping in to something to fast may be damaging but being slow can not in many pro sports lot's of players have been ruined because of jumping up too early.  A lot of it is just confidence issues which can really increase exponentially with a teenager or 20 year old turning professional.  Not saying college is the be all end all I just think it is a good way to accurately assess where you stand opposed to a few odd professional tournaments.

• Upvote 1

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

He got MDF'd.  Made cut did not finish.  When too many people are tied at the bottom and make the first cut on Friday, they have a second cut after the third round on Saturday.  He got cut after Saturday's round.

Originally Posted by gwlee7

He got MDF'd.  Made cut did not finish.

The initialism sounds so much dirtier than that.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 4317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!