Sign in to follow this  
cliffj

Sunglasses on back of cap??

54 posts / 12272 viewsLast Reply

Ditto to the playing with sunglasses on.  I have a couple of different ones for different times of day/ lighting conditions, but I nearly always have some sort of sunglasses available.

Whenever I need to take off my sunglasses during a round, or when I go inside I put them on the back of my hat.

I don't like the way they sit up on the bill and I think they feel much more secure on the back.

I don't try to emulate the pros, that's just what feels comfortable to me.

I almost always wear sun glasses when playing golf.

I pretty much don't to anything outdoors without my sun glasses.

I don't think I would survive in Florida with my shades... Quality sun glasses are a must IMO, and polarized lenses are worth the extra cost. No gas station sun glasses for me... Oakley and ray-ban all the way. I have found that quality lenses eliminate basically all distortion that may affect putting.

If I do take my glasses off, they go on top of my hat,and rest on the bill, not across the back where I am sure they would fall off.

Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson

I almost always wear sun glasses when playing golf.

I pretty much don't to anything outdoors without my sun glasses.

I don't think I would survive in Florida with my shades... Quality sun glasses are a must IMO, and polarized lenses are worth the extra cost. No gas station sun glasses for me... Oakley and ray-ban all the way. I have found that quality lenses eliminate basically all distortion that may affect putting.

If I do take my glasses off, they go on top of my hat,and rest on the bill, not across the back where I am sure they would fall off.

So... Florida is brighter than anyplace else? I lived in Colorado for nearly 40 years... not only sunny most of the year but 5000 to 14000 feet higher too.  You haven't seen bright until you've been in snow covered mountains in winter on a sunny day of skiing.  Now I live in the Bahamas, with very similar sun exposure to Florida (Long Island has more beach than it has not beach).  Yet I rarely wear sunglasses.  At 65 I still only wear corrective lenses for reading.  Going fishing today - will be out on the boat all day so I will be wearing them for that, and a wide brimmed hat as well ( I ways wear the wide brimmed hat for golf instead of sunglasses).

My point being that the human eye is in general adaptable to most of the sun conditions we face.  Sunglasses aren't a physiological necessity for most people under most conditions.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

My point being that the human eye is in general adaptable to most of the sun conditions we face.  Sunglasses aren't a physiological necessity for most people under most conditions.

Yes, but you know most of the people are not average...

Originally Posted by luu5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Yes, but you know most of the people are not average...

I wore mine all day today out on the water fishing, on the front of my face where they belong.

I can't imagine going out for any extended period of time without my shades, much less trying to play golf without them.  I've golfed in Colorado, too...I agree it's really bright there (less atmosphere to stop those harmful UV rays as well).

I played for years with glasses before I got Lasik several years ago.  Not sure why I'd have a problem with shades.  I can tell the ball from the green/fairway so I'm not sure what the problem would be.

As for the comments about putting the glove in the back pocket earlier in the thread, I put mine on my hand.  All the time.  I thought most of us did that (except for a few who remove it for putting).

I wear sunglasses for golf always (Tifosi that were recommended on thesandtrap actually) b/c I'm worried about UV rays. If I take them off for a short time, I'll put them on back of my head b/c they're more secure and I'm actually less likely to forget they're there than if they're on front. I wear a hat too. I'm in the market for a good fishing type hat for golf. Idk, for some reason I've become concerned about my skin. I'm actually investing in long sleeve polos and golf pants to block the UV rays. I'm probably going overboard, but it's a small sacrifice even if I'm only improving my skin/eyes slightly imo.

Originally Posted by jgreen85

I wear sunglasses for golf always (Tifosi that were recommended on thesandtrap actually) b/c I'm worried about UV rays. If I take them off for a short time, I'll put them on back of my head b/c they're more secure and I'm actually less likely to forget they're there than if they're on front. I wear a hat too. I'm in the market for a good fishing type hat for golf. Idk, for some reason I've become concerned about my skin. I'm actually investing in long sleeve polos and golf pants to block the UV rays. I'm probably going overboard, but it's a small sacrifice even if I'm only improving my skin/eyes slightly imo.

I love the Tifosi line. I have 5-6 pairs, maybe more. I've paid as little as $14.99 from the golf outlet stores on ebay. Got my grey stripe Mast with GT lenses on top of my head now.

Originally Posted by dave67az

I can't imagine going out for any extended period of time without my shades, much less trying to play golf without them.  I've golfed in Colorado, too...I agree it's really bright there (less atmosphere to stop those harmful UV rays as well).

I played for years with glasses before I got Lasik several years ago.  Not sure why I'd have a problem with shades.  I can tell the ball from the green/fairway so I'm not sure what the problem would be.

As for the comments about putting the glove in the back pocket earlier in the thread, I put mine on my hand.  All the time.  I thought most of us did that (except for a few who remove it for putting).

I choose my hats based on whether or not the brim accomodates my sunglasses. Thought about lasik but never pulled the trigger. Regarding the glove, there must be a lot of guys channeling Freddie Couples of Jonathan Byrd where I play because most guys in the championship flight were gloveless.

I know the way my sun glasses are shapped along with my bill/hat it was more comfortable to wear them backwards. This was due to the hat causing the glasses to move fwd a half inch causing the arms to sueeze tighter...bent the frames slightly and viola... Simple fix.

I would beg to differ that this is done because pro golfers do it! I know regular people just going about their business in a day who do that, people at the beach, hunters, fishers, It may be a style thing for some but just a natural motion and act for others!

Originally Posted by Motley01

Zach Johnson doesn't even take his sunglasses off.

yes he does......

......he wears them on the back of his cap just like all the other pros......LOL...IMO...he is one of the biggest "back of the cap" offenders!!!!

I should add.....I do know 1 former pro golfer who always wore her sunglasses on her hat like a normal person.

Usually well above the logo though.......

If a sponsor pays you thousands of dollars to put their name on your hat, they are going to make sure you don't cover it with your sunglasses.  That's the only reason they don't put them on the bill of the cap anymore.  Until a few years ago, nobody put them on the back of their head.

Not causing stirred pickled pigs feet,

I have been wearing my sunglasses upside down on my hat because when ur at bar at night...to much pressure on temples.  I have been doing this since early 2000's/90's.  It is more comfortable and leaves less the same crease in/on your hat than you may like.  Throw em' upside down and chill! The only reason I started the trend was cause it was more comfy than standard. Can't do it with every pair of glasses, but it eases tension on the brain...especially out socializing if choosing to. But, keep on keeping on.  I did it for comfort, rather than appearance.  To each its own...right.  So just do what you want and who cares what others think! Happy cheers have some beers! :)