IGNORED

Hello !

TexasMatt
Note: This thread is 4471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all,

Finally decided to create an account here. Been reading posts daily at work, but never got around to signing up.

Name is Matt - 25 - live in Texas. I used to play golf when I was really young and took a long 10 year break through High school and college. Just getting back in to the game about 6 months ago. Have taken 1 lesson but usually hack around a par 3 course and/or driving range every weekend to try and improve.

Had a HUGE shanking problem with all irons for the first 2 months which is why I decided to take the lesson. I was ready to quit already it was so maddening. I didn’t leave the lesson hitting great, but had the idea of what to do. I apparently did the typical self-taught bad golfer’s shovel motion coupled with an out-to-in path which was a disaster. I left with knowing where to go from there and finally got the swing working. The release and turning my wrists over felt so awkward, but I was determined to figure it out. I also couldn’t figure out how in the heck I was supposed to feel the club throwing out and away from my body through contact as opposed to my out-in path. One day on the range I had a moment where everything clicked and I haven’t shanked or blocked a ball in 2 months.

I feel like I have to a ridiculous in-to-out motion with keeping my right elbow sticking to my belly on my downswing, but I assume it only looks funny in my head and looks fairly normal from an outsiders perspective.

Where I stand now: Very happy and confident enough to play with strangers without feeling embarrassed. By no means am I great, but I shoot in the mid-90s at a 72 course in the area and have heard most weekend golfers get 100-110 there. I am still having issues with my driver so I leave that in the bag unless I am at the range trying to figure it out. I am still a terrible putter and have general alignment problems across all clubs which probably part of my bad putting. When I have someone check my alignment on the course, I am almost always aimed right, or when my feet are finally correct, I am told my club is still pointing right as if nothing changed but my feet. Then I am not square and have other problems.

I have a lot to work on but loving the game!

-Matt

Great to have you.  If you have any other questions about using the site, check out our "Using the Site" section ,

Here are some great threads to get started and familiar with The Sand Trap

Want to follow some bright people and some awesome members? Check out this article . Want to talk about more than golf or quickly find like-minded folks? Check out our Groups .

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!