IGNORED

Callaway FT-i

Note: This thread is 6080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tried this FT-i driver at a local demo day. I was first very skeptical about this whole squre driver... I tried the first swing... BOOOOM... Very straight and far... I thought maybe it was just lucky... This can't really feel this solid... So I tried another swing... BOOOm... Same result... I tried over and over again and the results were pretty much the same.

How do people feel about this club? Would like to get a general opinion about it. Has anyone tried the FT-i Tour version? I still can't believe that I actually like this club...
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I tried this club at the range and after three shots, my left ear was ringing from how loud the club was at impact.
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

I tried both the FT-i and the FT-5. I can't stand the sound of Callaway drivers. I also can't justify the cost compared to other drivers. Finally, while I found that the FT-i went a long way towards preventing slices, it greatly accentuated any thing I hit with a little hook to it. That was with the neutral model, I'm scared to think how bad it would have been with a draw bias.

My Website: Qwowi Golf

In my Atlas Bag:
Driver: R7 SuperQuad 9.5° VS Proto 65-S
3+ Wood: G10 4 Wood: G10 Hybrid: 585H VS Proto 80-SIrons: X-20 Tour 5-PWGap Wedge: Vokey 200 Series 52°Sand Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56°Lob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Bettinardi BC1

I tried this club at the range and after three shots, my left ear was ringing from how loud the club was at impact.

That's just silly... sorry, but I've been playing the FTi for 2-1/2 months now, and my hearing is just fine. The Sumo 2 is louder than the FTi, and it is apparently gaining popularity in Florida with no reported medical issues. The sound is neither loud enough nor sharp enough to cause the damage you describe. If you hear ringing in your ears, then you damaged them from something else previously.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good for you but that driver hurt my ears when I hit it. No other club has made my ear ring like that.

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

not as loud as that sasquatch sumo2

its pretty nice, hit it once. i dont think ill be getting a square driver anytime soon. i cant get used to the image looking down at it behind my ball.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

not as loud as that sasquatch sumo2

I've never hit the sumo so I can't compare. I'd need ear plugs if I ever tried the Nike.

PutterKarsten Anser2

I have the regular sumo and it is by far the loudest driver out there. Any time i go to the range, first hit with it and everyone looks over. I sumo 2 is a little louder but i couldn't get over the square look otherwise i probably would have gotten it.

Driver: 9.5* SQ Sumo Stiff
3W: 15* SQ Stiff
Irons: 3-PW R7 Stiff Flex
GW: X Tour Vintage 52 11 bounce
SW: X Tour Vintage 56 13 bounceLW: X Tour Vintage 60 8 BouncePutter: Monza CorzaBall: HX Tour 56

For a month or so, a nearby shop had a demoday. I tried all sort of drivers but no drivers compare to the square ones. They were crap!
First of all I can't understand how anyone can look at these - they are ugly, second I have no idea for whom it's intended for - after two hits with it, the nike rep. just gave me a regular and told me that it didn't fit my swing, and looking at the rest of the testers at the nike tent - it didn't fit any other swing either. And the absolute worst thing with it was that you didn't feel where at the club you hitted the ball. Was it a toe or a heel?? I don't know Did it go straight and long?? - Well straightish but was it long??? Hell no!!

My guess is that these drivers are for elderley people who can't see a 460 cc driver - so they made it bigger and painted it yellow.

So did I bother to try the FT-I? Nope!
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 10° I-Mix 5w: Callaway X Hybrid: 21º Open CT
4-5: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 6-PW: Alpha C1 Pro
52º, 56º,60º Callaway X-Tour
Putter: Cleveland Classic 4

Like one of the previous posters, I couldn't justify the $500 price tag for the FT-i. Yes, it is a great looking driver. It isn't as large as the SUMO2 at address (i.e. less intimidating), and has a different sound as well. I'd have to compare the decibel level side-by-side to give you my opinion on which is louder -- but I'm guessing the SUMO2 is. Also like one of the previous posts on this thread -- I don't think either club is loud enough to give you hearing damage and "ringing".

Summary: Save $100 to $150 and get the SUMO2. If cost is not an issue, the FT-i may very well be a superior club.
What's in My Bag?

Driver: 10.5° KZG SP-700 with Fujikura SIX Regular Flex Shaft | 2h: Adams A7OS Stiff | 3h: Adams A3OS Stiff | 4h: Nike Slingshot Steel | 5i-PW: Adams A2OS | Sand Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56° 3-dot | Lob Wedge: Cleveland CG15 60° 3-dot | Putter: Fisher CTS-9 Polyurethane Face

We had a demo day at my golf course and we got to hit 10 or so balls down the first fairway & i play the Cobra X-speed driver & it has a loud ting wen u hit it sweet, well anyways first hit with the FT-i and it went straight yes but it was about 200m from the green! You may aswell hit a 6-iron. I hit the rest of the balls i was given and they all ended up about the same & the FT-i doesnt have that ting the Cobra has + were am i gonna get $800 AUD from? The FT-i goes striaght yes but would you rather be 200m out on the fairway or 80-100m out in the rough.
Maybe if there was a square driver that went as far as a regular driver and was alot less money say around the $400-$500 AUD i might consider it but i got my driver 6 months ago i dont thnik i'll be upgrading for another year or 2.
In my black carry bag
Driver- 909 D2 10.5* 76g Stiff UST Proforce V2
3-Wood 909 F3 14.5* 82g Stiff UST Proforce V2
Hybrid- 585-H 19* 85g Stiff Flex Adilla Proto
Irons- Z-B Forged 3iron-PW Project X 6.0Gap Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 52|8Sand Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 56|10Putter- Scotty Cameron...

First let me state I am a true amateur (12-15 handicap golfer), not an old school, blade user single digit type guy. Interesting reviews, seems most are demo's. I've been using it for about 4 months now, probably 35 rounds with it. Do I like it, hell yes? I'll address some of the above points (these are my opinions, as a owner/user). Looks and sound: I don't think the FTI looks that outrageous, especially compared to the Nike, it is about the same size (if not smaller) than most newer drivers. Yes it's a little non-traditional, but it's lines are just not that outrageous. Looking down at address is just not that different. Sound: This one really blows my mind, I hit at the range all the time, no one, and I mean no-one gives it a second look when I'm hitting. But, I see heads turn if someone is hitting the Nike. I just do not think this should be an issue. Forgiveness and distance: It is definitely forgiving, very straight. Demo it a couple rounds and you'll see. I guarantee it. Distance: humm, this one is definitely where I can go either way. I swear some days I go out there and smack it deep (about a 90-95mph CHS), maybe 250-275 (an occasional 300). Other times I average more around the 200-230 ranges. I really think this a big distance hitter if you can hit the true sweet spot (read dead center, which seems bigger than most clubs). I also feel this is a club where you have to throttle it back, no kidding think 80%. I think this is where most people think they lose distance with this club, they hit slightly off center, yes it goes straight (a lot straighter then most off center hit's), but there is a definite loss of distance on off center hits. Do I recommend it: For sure. Almost everyone I have let hit it, has demo'ed it and bought one. My hitting fairways stats have gone way up. I will agree with the guy who said it accentuates a hook, but this could be a shaft issue.

Just some thoughts from a person whom actually owns one. But then again I use a hybrid 2 & 3, so maybe I’m just not old school Go out and try one a couple rounds….

Cheers from Texas

• 3 months later...
For a month or so, a nearby shop had a demoday. I tried all sort of drivers but no drivers compare to the square ones. They were crap!

You mean - these square-shaped clubs are for guys like

Ernie Els ?
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I have The Sumo2 Driver right now and i def. got use to the loud sound and even the look of it. The only reason i am selling it now is to get the Callaway Big Bertha which i just hit at the local golf shop and it really blew me away!!! A lot better than i thought and the price is a lot better!!!!
Driver: Burner 10.5* Fujikura Stiff
Hybrids: Rescue Mid 19* Stiff Burner Rescue 22*
Irons: 04 Big Bertha steel
Putter: White Hot 2 Ball
Balls: TP Black

I have hit an FT- i at a demo day and I must admit that it was very straight even if not that long. I just can't justify the price at the moment. They are $800 in Australia and I normally buy my clubs 2nd hand

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

My girlfriend plays the FT-i and loves it. It has a much smaller footprint than the Nike SQ2, and isnt nearly as loud. If you guys want to hit a loud driver, try to find a MAC Powersphere. That thing sounds like a shotgun when you make contact.

As far as distance, all major manufacturers produce their clubs with the maximum specs that will allow it to be USGA conforming. COR is right up at .830 for just about everything out there, as well as characteristic time at 239. Energy transfer to the ball is about the same for all clubheads on the market. Now, you may have demoed an FT-i and not hit it as far as your current driver, but I bet with the right loft, length, and shaft, you would. If this driver wasnt able to hit the ball a long way, PGA Tour players would not be using it.

P.S. Didnt Ernie Els average something like 318 off the tee with the FT-i at a tournament earlier this year?
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

I've been playing the FT-i Tour for a month now (switched from the FT-3 Tour) and I am significantly more accurate off the tee since changing up. I have not lost any distance (275 carry 118mph CHS) from my previous club though the ball flight is slightly higher.

Contrary to popular belief the tour version IS workable and I have added a power fade to the repertoire that I could not trust before switching to this club.

If you're looking for more fairways I highly recommend giving this club a demo. For best results go see the guys at a Callaway tour van stop. Since the FT-i is not included in the fitting cart it's the only way you'll get to swing it with any kind of shaft selection.
In the bag

909D3 8.5 Matrix Ozik XCon 7 X
Burner TP 14.5 Fujikura RE*AX SF TP 75 X
Idea Pro 20 RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour (2005) 4-PW RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour Chrome Wedges 50 and 54 RP Project X 5.5 X-Tour Vintage 60 w/ PM grind Teryllium Ten Newport 2 34" ProV1X

Note: This thread is 6080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!