IGNORED

Tiger Woods: Not Fan Friendly

montru
Note: This thread is 4310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't get it....Tiger owes US, the fans, a living because without the fans he would not have earned his millions ??? Seriously ???

Why did fans exist for him in the first place ? Because he's a really nice guy with his family ? Because he goes to church every Sunday without fail ? Or because he aces every exam in school despite sepnding a lot of time playing golf ???

NO....fans became fans because he was the most spectacular guy to wield a metal in modern golf. Golf used to be a game for the rich. Tiger Woods took the game global....golf started to become known as an athletic sport, tournament purses grew tremendously over the years. Hell, he made fist pumps cool in the game of golf !

You want Tiger to be a role model for your kids ? Tell your kids how important determinations is to succeed. Tell your kids how important focus is to achieve anthing they want. And if your kids want to excel in golf....TW is the best example to any kid....as long as its all about the golf. And why should it be about anything else anyway ? Tiger Woods IS a professional golfer, the last time I checked.

All said and done, Tiger has reached a point in his career where he could be in his 40's, ranked 80th in the world or something, but until he decides to call it quits, he will still command the gallery that other players can only dream about...

THAT....is Tiger Woods

Ray

Turtleback, I am a role model for my kids, but if you had kids you'd realize they look up to, idolize, and try to emulate their sports heroes too. We all did growing up. The difference with my youth and the world kids currently grow up in now, is that today, with the information age, everything is exposed about an athletes life in the media. Impressionable young kids can't yet compartmentalize like an adult.

I think the point the OP is trying to make is Tiger didn't have to stop and give autographs to the girls like Phil and Bubba didn't as well, it's just that it seemed he made a seemingly obvious effort to treat them as they didn't exist. I'm sure one of the kids probably called out his name and I'm sure he heard it as much as I'm sure he was aware there were only a few people there and this is where I agree he failed being more fan friendly as he said he wants to be more of. I just don't buy the whole focus argument cause I can guarantee you when he was with his peers in the locker room and on the course they probably where having light conversations about other things not golf related to just ease the tension/nerves. Jack Nicklaus said himself there is no way a player can maintain the level of concentration he has to have to hit a golf shot for 4 1/2 hours so there is no reason he can't lighten up and just wave or smile at some kids who were probably waiting for some time just to see him and hoping he would see them.

Some people in life want to be liked and go out of their way to try to be liked.  I put Phil and Bubba in that category.  They are good guys that use their good natured-ness to their benefit and they reap the rewards in terms of fan response and press coverage.  Guys like Tiger and Hogan are/were more consumed with winning than being liked.  They wanted to be liked because they are great at what they do, not because they play up to the cameras and fans.

As a golf fan, Phil is my favorite, Bubba used to be near the top along with Rory and Bradley.  Tiger continues to be a guy I think is an amazing and exciting golfer and I love to watch him during a tournament but I don't care for how he managed his personal life.   I definitely wouldn't want him to be an idol to my kids and wouldn't go out of my way to speak to him or ask for an autograph but I do root for him to beat Jacks records and to win every week he plays.  .

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfaxis

Turtleback, I am a role model for my kids, but if you had kids you'd realize they look up to, idolize, and try to emulate their sports heroes too. We all did growing up. The difference with my youth and the world kids currently grow up in now, is that today, with the information age, everything is exposed about an athletes life in the media. Impressionable young kids can't yet compartmentalize like an adult.

I have kids.  And amazingly enough, when they see that I don't idolize sports figures neither do they.  Just part of being a role model.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A lot of people idolize Tiger. They just don't like the way he live his live off the course.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Ok so I will say this again, "I went to the Open" also on Thursday. Im sure everyone knows this by now lol. I say that to say this, the ticket packages clearly indicated that if you wanted autographs, you were to only ask during the practice rounds. THATS ALL. Now if this Tiger "brush off" wouldve happened earlier in the week, you may have a legit gripe. The fact that you asked on day 1 of the actual event Tiger had every right to do what he did. I dont know the OP, and Im sure hes a great dad. If you're using this as a teaching moment for your daughter, dont forget to mention that you didnt follow the rules for autograph seeking on a championship round day.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Ok so I will say this again, "I went to the Open" also on Thursday. Im sure everyone knows this by now lol. I say that to say this, the ticket packages clearly indicated that if you wanted autographs, you were to only ask during the practice rounds. THATS ALL. Now if this Tiger "brush off" wouldve happened earlier in the week, you may have a legit gripe. The fact that you asked on day 1 of the actual event Tiger had every right to do what he did.

I dont know the OP, and Im sure hes a great dad. If you're using this as a teaching moment for your daughter, dont forget to mention that you didnt follow the rules for autograph seeking on a championship round day.

Actually in the "spectator information guide" it says,

Spectators should keep in mind that the players' first responsibility during US Open week is to compete for the national championship. For this reason, a no-autograph policy is in effect on course throughout championship week. Spectators should not approach any player for an autograph from the time a player is en route to his first tee until the completion of his round. This policy applies to practice rounds as well as championship rounds.

Actually it is okay to get one from a player as long as it's not during his walk from the practice area to the first tee and any time during the round, after a round would be okay also.

I have given this a little thought and I just don't understand if a player such as Tiger does not want to be bothered with autographs maybe he should do something Ronald Reagen did when he visited my elementary school when he was still the governor of california. They had hundreds of these little business cards with his autograph already on them and they passed them out to the kids, shoot one of Tigers sponsors should jump all over an opportunity of making a card with his picture on it to hand out to the kids with an autograph, Tiger himself does not even have to sign them there are people who know how to forge autographs and the card could have a little disclaimer if there was any legal issue over it.

Actually in the "spectator information guide" it says, Spectators should keep in mind that the players' first responsibility during US Open week is to compete for the national championship. For this reason, a no-autograph policy is in effect on course throughout championship week. Spectators should not approach any player for an autograph from the time a player is en route to his first tee until the completion of his round. This policy applies to practice rounds as well as championship rounds. Actually it is okay to get one from a player as long as it's not during his walk from the practice area to the first tee and any time during the round, after a round would be okay also. I have given this a little thought and I just don't understand if a player such as Tiger does not want to be bothered with autographs maybe he should do something Ronald Reagen did when he visited my elementary school when he was still the governor of california. They had hundreds of these little business cards with his autograph already on them and they passed them out to the kids, shoot one of Tigers sponsors should jump all over an opportunity of making a card with his picture on it to hand out to the kids with an autograph, Tiger himself does not even have to sign them there are people who know how to forge autographs and the card could have a little disclaimer if there was any legal issue over it.

I stand corrected, I read that as dont ask and let the players focus on golf for the week.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I was at the Open in San Francisco and followed tiger a bit for a couple of the rounds. I was amazed at how trashy/rude some of the people could be....yelling comments about waitresses, telling him he's done, washed up, etc. He was only a couple of yards away, so he could obviously hear alot of them. I tell ya, if it was me, it wouldn't take very long before I would get into the habit of putting my blinders on and ignoring everyone as well.

Also, in general Tiger seemed much more focused and intense than many of the other plays. I did see Phil and Bubba signing autographs after the round, but Tiger was instead putting in time at the driving range. Even on Sunday, I was sitting on the 7th hole, and both Tiger and Phil were out of the tournament by the time they reached us. Honestly, Phil didn't even look like he wanted to be there, wasn't really looking over his putts, was chatting, etc. Even the guy next to me said something like "Phil just looks like he wants to get on a plane and get out of here" and I was thinking the same thing. Tiger on the other hand still seemed to be very focused, really grinding over putts, and really had a different demeanor about him.

Overall, when tiger goes to the course, especially a major, I think he is in game mode from start to finish.

Note: This thread is 4310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!