IGNORED

Knee pain v Competition Quarter FInal

Bye Bye Ball
Note: This thread is 4308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys,

I've recently been experiencing some pretty horrible pain in the inside of my right knee. I went to a physio for a consultation and she diagnosed me with a cartilage tear. I've got to go for an MRI scan to discern the extent of the tear but she said the there's a strong likelihood of surgery.

Meanwhile this summer me and my dad have been progressing nicely in our clubs foursomes competition, having reached the quarter-finals, we have a real shot at winning the thing which I know would mean so much to my dad and me.

I haven't played since the diagnosis just under a week ago and our match will probably be organised for the coming weeks.

My question is, do you guys think its worth trying to get around the golf course for the competition? Anyone else had a cartilage tear and tried to play golf?

Not a doc but have knee problems, in fact have no meniscus so maybe some advice for temporary usage. When is the pain? Hitting balls, or walking a distance?  Try some limited practice and identify the pain place and when. Knee swollen? NSAIDS can help. I have found that NSAIDS patch onto knee, then knee covered with big black velco brace offers good support, swelling reduction and good benefit. My challenge is walking more than 500 yds after which i get really fatigued due to confused gait and increasing knee pain.  Long term solution maybe surgery for me, Total Knee Replacement. But one year on i hope back to 'near normal'.  Strangely for me, it's the left knee but really no pain when hitting balls so there is no fear of full release, which is very nice. Best 2 u.

The cartilage is an avascular structure of knee with little innervation. In English, there is not a blood supply to the structure and not many nerves as well. This can be good and bad at the same time. This means that pain can come from compensating to relieve pressure. HOWEVER, since the doctor said surgery is likely, it can be assumed there is a significant instability. This means the pain is going to come more from the bone on bone contact. Since bones can survive without cartilage, you could play so long as the pain is not unbearable. I would not push it too hard considering surgery is a future option.

L4V 9* Stiff flex

3W-PW Reg Flex

RBZ Clone 54* Apollo Black Steel Reg Flex

Custom Bionik 504 set for crossgrip

Cart Bag or  Stand Bag

Z Star XV or  TP Black LDP to show off

Cheers for the replies guys.

Originally Posted by joekelly

Not a doc but have knee problems, in fact have no meniscus so maybe some advice for temporary usage. When is the pain? Hitting balls, or walking a distance?  Try some limited practice and identify the pain place and when. Knee swollen? NSAIDS can help. I have found that NSAIDS patch onto knee, then knee covered with big black velco brace offers good support, swelling reduction and good benefit. My challenge is walking more than 500 yds after which i get really fatigued due to confused gait and increasing knee pain.  Long term solution maybe surgery for me, Total Knee Replacement. But one year on i hope back to 'near normal'.  Strangely for me, it's the left knee but really no pain when hitting balls so there is no fear of full release, which is very nice. Best 2 u.

The pain occurs during both walking and hitting. I struggle sometimes up and down hills and through sheer distance I'll be in pain.

Luckily it's my right knee not left, so that's one saving grace however every so often when bringing my right foot up in my follow through my big toe will just catch which sends a horrible jarring pain up into the inside of my knee. Coming out of bunkers and heavy rough causes pain as well.

I've played a bit over the last 2 weeks and I'm going to try to get 18 holes in tomorrow. I've bought a good knee support which seems to be helping somewhat as well. I'm 90% certain I'll play the foursomes game, if it was a first round tie I'd definitely think twice but since it's a QF I'm just going to go out and hope it doesn't hurt too much.

Well, the first thing you should do is make sure NOT to seek an answer from a doctor.  Then, find out what a couple anonymous people on the internet think.  So you're on the right track to enlightenment.

I say suck it up.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Found out after an MRI in February that I tore both sides of my meniscus, one from racquetball (years ago), the other golf or running.   The tear is in my right leg and I'm a lefty so I feel some pain on every swing.  The doctor told me I couldn't do any more damage (both sides were completely torn) so surgery was my call.  I've decided to use a knee brace when I run or golf and deal with the pain.

My advice is if you're not at risk for doing more damage deal with the pain until the winter.  If you can't, then go for surgery.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dsc123

Well, the first thing you should do is make sure NOT to seek an answer from a doctor.  Then, find out what a couple anonymous people on the internet think.  So you're on the right track to enlightenment.

I say suck it up.

Thanks so much for that comment, that's so helpful. Unfortunately you seem to have misunderstood the nature of an internet forum; where people impart their advice, which may come from past experience, to those raising issues and asking questions, otherwise what's the point of having them? Oh wait, 'dsc123' doesn't agree with the fundamental principle of a forum, let's no-one talk about golf, share stories or anecdotes and shut it down.

If you'd read my post I said I had already sought medical help and been diagnosed, my question was merely to people who may have experienced or be experiencing similar problems to me.

I say you're an idiot.

Thank you to those who haven't, unlike dsc123, been utterly useless in their replies!

Note: This thread is 4308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!