IGNORED

My Swing (ygmondoux)

ygmondoux
Note: This thread is 1714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I haven't played as much as I would have liked this year, but the swing is good and steady. I can now try to power the ball forward with more confidence. 

I'm still toe heavy (the clubs are not upright enough for my swing type) and one thing I really need to fix is how much spin I put on the ball du to a very upright swing. 

My new quest is finding some 7* upright clubs with a 2*-3* strong loft to keep the spin down and the trajectory lower. As of now I it a 7 iron 170 yards, with 9000 rpm and a fast 128mph ball speed. 

Yesterday I was swinging really well and every blow was crisp and felt like the ball exposed off the face.. so I watch few of the swings I filmed and my tempo was 3/1 ratio, at a very slow 30/10. So I decided to make a video of a DTL and face on view for when I feel I'm loosing my tempo.

Is 30/10 too slow? 

I did a 3D analysis by myswing.com 2 days ago, I have been workout hard on my swing path...  Trying to keep my shaft angle the whole swing. It's so nice to see I almost perfectly there. 

He here is a face-on view 59b7f92ed8849_ScreenShot2017-09-12at11_10_01AM.thumb.png.937cc7a12ea3005fa994e68bcef12a45.png

DTL

59b7f9285a36b_ScreenShot2017-09-12at11_09_44AM.thumb.png.c730f1a164a1f1b06442260fc5753741.png

And my Kinematic Sequence (Really interested in learning to crush those graphs and numbers)

59b7fa51d6bf1_ScreenShot2017-09-12at11_16_20AM.thumb.png.8d37f2a23c5419e4eb63cdf634434701.png

• 2 weeks later...

Been solely working of my tempo in the last week. As a result, my strikes are better and position throughout the swing are almost exactly where I want them to be. Will keep up the tempo work this week.

• Administrator
On 9/11/2017 at 10:59 PM, ygmondoux said:

Is 30/10 too slow? 

What's your driver swing speed?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@iacas I'm thinking 115mph average on a normal swing but I'd have to check it out. I use to be 120mph+ but wild as a goose... 

I'm slowing my tempo down because I'm tall 6'5" but my "wing span" is 6'8" so I have very long arms, if I'm too quick I get stuck behind on the downswing... that's my theory, does it make any sense?

• Administrator

Sure. Makes sense.

I asked because sometimes a slow tempo is just… a slow swing, and speeding up the tempo can gain valuable MPH and thus yards.

But if you're 115 (let alone 120), you're swinging pretty fast already, so never mind.

What are you working on right now? Just the tempo stuff? If you're a 2.3 with that swing, how's the short game and putting? Decision making?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

What are you working on right now? Just the tempo stuff? If you're a 2.3 with that swing, how's the short game and putting? Decision making?

I'm only working on my tempo right now. Changed my swing to a one plane with upright clubs 2 years ago, finally getting a hold of it (Positioning to the ball, feeling relaxed and confident over the ball) My main goal was setting up and hitting on the same plane. 

The thing is that I get quick on the backswing and transition more often than not on the course... since I don't play enough I'm struggling with this part of my game.

My pitching is pretty good. My chipping is not stellar, but it's ok. My weakness is my putting, starting with the way I read greens, can't seem to trust my line since when I do it could be a 3 inches miss in a 10 footer. Have to get better at reading greens... any advice?

Now for decision making, I'm too often not thinking about my missing on the good side of the green or fairway... I could improve a lot there.

Have not uploaded a driver swing is a while, because I haven't practiced my driver much in the last weeks. Once again when I hot my tempo my position are good... the ball just flies off the face and I feel like it's energy efficient, I could hit 100 drivers in a row without being fatigued much.

• 7 months later...
(edited)

New season!

After struggling as my 5 first driving range session, I remembered my swing thought to achieve this swing: trying to swing the club back on the same path it lays at address.

I have to feel like I'm throwing the club from the top, if I don't do that my right arm collapses and my shaft point almost straight to my feet halfway in the downswing. The club than gets stuck trying to reroute it. 

Edited by ygmondoux

(edited)

After a bit of a struggle early this season, I found out my grip wasn't shut enough for my very passive hand action. 

Here is 2 swings with a stronger grip a fade and a draw, just by changing my swing path. Feels solid. 

Edited by ygmondoux

After playing a few times indoor on a simulator, my playing partner was astounded that my face was always less than +/-1* square to target on every shot. But my club path pretty much always 3* to 6* to the right of the target. 

I figured I must be compensating somewhere in my swing to square to club to where it was at address. 

So I studied my practice swing (no ball) to find out I have on everyshot at least a 10* open club face if not 20* (Not calculated but looked at on video). But my path is true. 

What is so different between my practice swing and my swing on the ball besides that? Not much... tension is not an issue, I touch the ground an inch after where the ball was and I never open my hips too early (my compensation move to shut the face)

That got me thinking... If I could shut the face enough with a very strong grip so that my practice swing (my natural swing) would match my real swing. What would happen? 

Yesterday was my first try. It feels very solid, I don't trust it yet but it does appear to work. 78 first game of the year, with poor chips. Cost me 3 strokes. 

Almost everyone say they have a better swing when there is no ball. What if we could learn from that and compensate in our setup before we actually move?

Everyone is unique, some hit the ball with a bowed left wrist... those guy get away with a weak grip... think hogan. I tend to have a ever slightly cupped left wrist.

Here is a all out practice swing I took, just to rule out the tension theory, club head speed was probably around 100mph with a 7 iron on that swing. 

On 9/22/2017 at 1:12 PM, ygmondoux said:

My weakness is my putting, starting with the way I read greens, can't seem to trust my line since when I do it could be a 3 inches miss in a 10 footer. Have to get better at reading greens... any advice?

You posted this a little while ago but if you haven't been made aware of AimPoint Express yet I'd recommend you look into it for green reading. It looks funny at first and a bit ridiculous, but it's accuracy is uncanny. Right after I took the class I was burning the edge of the hole on almost every putt as well as draining putts as long as 20ft. It worked really well for me and if you're having difficulty reading greens still I'd at least say to look into it and see if it's a viable option for you to learn.

You have a really nice looking swing by the way. The ball seems to really launch off the face in your swing videos! It looks so smooth and effortless and the data you have looks pretty intimidating on first glance! I'm looking forward to see how you progress from here since you're handicap is very low.

-Justin

My Swing

SLDR C 10.5, Aeroburner 3W/3H, MX-200 4-GW, Vokey Chrome 200 56 & 60, TM White Smoke

14 hours ago, Pepsivanilla93 said:

It looks funny at first and a bit ridiculous, but it's accuracy is uncanny.

Lol, If it look ridiculous I'm all for it! I already mimic my desired ball flight with my hand in my pre-shot routine. I'll look into it. If only I could get just a bit better it's worth it.

Thanks for your comment on my swing, it's a long process and right now I'm struggling to sync the lower body and the upper body on any long irons and woods swing. My hips are going crazy fast... I'm going to try engaging my abs more in the swing to connect the upper and lower body, I'm almost out of ideas.

My goal is to be a scratch player at the end of the summer. 

12 hours ago, ygmondoux said:

Lol, If it look ridiculous I'm all for it! I already mimic my desired ball flight with my hand in my pre-shot routine. I'll look into it. If only I could get just a bit better it's worth it.

Thanks for your comment on my swing, it's a long process and right now I'm struggling to sync the lower body and the upper body on any long irons and woods swing. My hips are going crazy fast... I'm going to try engaging my abs more in the swing to connect the upper and lower body, I'm almost out of ideas.

My goal is to be a scratch player at the end of the summer. 

I hope you can get down to scratch. What an awesome goal! Have you worked with an instructor at all or did you put your swing together yourself? When you mimic your ball flight with your hand, do you stand behind the ball and gesticulate the ball flight as a visualization technique? I've never seen that before so that's interesting. Keep up the good work man.

-Justin

My Swing

SLDR C 10.5, Aeroburner 3W/3H, MX-200 4-GW, Vokey Chrome 200 56 & 60, TM White Smoke

9 hours ago, Pepsivanilla93 said:

I hope you can get down to scratch. What an awesome goal! Have you worked with an instructor at all or did you put your swing together yourself? When you mimic your ball flight with your hand, do you stand behind the ball and gesticulate the ball flight as a visualization technique? I've never seen that before so that's interesting. Keep up the good work man.

I never worked with an instructor, I filmed myself a lot when I was 17 trying to emulate what the pros did. 

I stand behind the ball and trace the shot with my hand and mimic the ball flight. I always get a few laughs out of that move. But it helps me "commit" to my shot. 

Note: This thread is 1714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!