IGNORED

Breakdown a pro swing.

Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is a random thought - sort of a thread request.  A year or two a resident swing guru broke down a swing Charley Hofman made during a comback win. It was very well done.

Is there any chance some one (anyone?) could do that again? Which swing and which shot?

In the playoff for the John Deere Classic, Zach Johnson almost hit a great fairway bunker shot, but it ended up in the water. Luckily he got another chance when they replayed the hole. He made almost the exact same swing from the same bunker, but this time he almost put it in the jar. A very confident stroke considering his earlier mishap. Did anyone else catch this and notice his very unique bunker swing?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Sorry, I didn't see the Charlie Hoffman thread/video.  But just so I'm clear... Are you asking someone to do a swing analysis of Zach from yesterday, in the bunker when he hit it into the hazard - and compare it to the bunker shot when he nearly holed out?  And point out the difference in setup, and swing mechanics/geometries between the two shots?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes and no. I think the main difference was impact since they looked almost identical to me, but maybe I'm wrong. Basically it looked like a great swing, and yet totally unique.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by sean_miller

This is a random thought - sort of a thread request.  A year or two a resident swing guru broke down a swing Charley Hofman made during a comback win. It was very well done.

Is there any chance some one (anyone?) could do that again? Which swing and which shot?

In the playoff for the John Deere Classic, Zach Johnson almost hit a great fairway bunker shot, but it ended up in the water. Luckily he got another chance when they replayed the hole. He made almost the exact same swing from the same bunker, but this time he almost put it in the jar. A very confident stroke considering his earlier mishap. Did anyone else catch this and notice his very unique bunker swing?

I made that video, so thanks. The PGA Tour asked me to remove it because I was infringing on their copyright.

So I think you might be out of luck on a repeat video. The PGA Tour disagrees that you can use a video for educational purposes under "fair use."

FWIW I saw the two shots, and it looked like the one that found the water simply started a teeny tiny bit (I want to be very scientific you see) too far left. He might not have caught it quite as cleanly because it also landed 20 yards shorter or so, didn't it?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Pablo68

Instead of a video, is it possible then to use a swing sequence of stills to breakdown a player's swing?

Yes, but that's almost what I did in the Hoffman video. It's just not worth the hassle of the PGA Tour saying "you used our video without permission." The stills would still have come from "their" video.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I made that video, so thanks.  The PGA Tour asked me to remove it because I was infringing on their copyright.

So I think you might be out of luck on a repeat video. The PGA Tour disagrees that you can use a video for educational purposes under "fair use."

FWIW I saw the two shots, and it looked like the one that found the water simply started a teeny tiny bit (I want to be very scientific you see) too far left. He might not have caught it quite as cleanly because it also landed 20 yards shorter or so, didn't it?

I think it was just slightly better contact - more focused.

Can't say I'm a fan of his (in spite of the avatar with coincidental golf ball with halo) but he does hit some great shots under pressure.

Originally Posted by iacas

I made that video, so thanks.  The PGA Tour asked me to remove it because I was infringing on their copyright.

That sucks.  It was my understanding that the discretion was up to the uploader of the video.  If you said the video was for educational purposes only... And the use of the video was 'Fair Use'... Then, I don't think they have the right to force Youtube to remove it.  Especially if the clips you used were from the public domain.  Like you took a PGA tour video clip - that say they posted on Youtube already (public domain) - and then edited it for instructional purposes??

Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!