IGNORED

When do you arrive at the course?

the chunker
Note: This thread is 4303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If I can, I try to get there an hour early to hit a few balls and putts.  However, I've been trying to get the first tee time over the past month or two and that doesn't leave me any time to warm up.  I'm moving back to 630am now so I can try to get there at 545 or so and warm up a bit.

I often play as a single and find it frustrating when the starter insists on squeezing me in earlier.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

45 to 60 minutes early. I have to get at least 10 full swings and 10 practice putts in. Ideally I'll get more like 20 putts, 25 full swings, and a bit of pitching and chipping. Then I like to be early to the teebox so I can get everything situated properly (ball marker, extra balls marked, tees accessible, etc) before I need to stand on the teebox.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

We don't have tee times where I play. I do plan on playing at courses where they do and my plan is to show up early enough to drive around the course, taking notes on the holes so as to get a plan of course management. Then I'll hit a small bucket to warm up, do some putting. Then it's game on.

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

Originally Posted by Jeffrey71

We don't have tee times where I play. I do plan on playing at courses where they do and my plan is to show up early enough to drive around the course, taking notes on the holes so as to get a plan of course management. Then I'll hit a small bucket to warm up, do some putting. Then it's game on.

Really? You drive around the course?  That seems absurd to me.  What sort of information do you gather?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dsc123

Really? You drive around the course?  That seems absurd to me.  What sort of information do you gather?

Especially as a 20 HC. Its not like theres enough accuracy at that level to 'plan' anything.

I giggle when people over 20hc talk about course management. You can't manage the course when you dont have a clue where your shot is going to land because your accuracy is off so much. I mean, he is allowed to do what he wants (as long as the course allows him to drive around it for fun), but before you think about course management, learn to be a solid ball striker.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by dsc123

I have yet to do this, but it seems to be a good idea to me considering scorecard maps can be kind of vague. Any suggestions?

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Especially as a 20 HC. Its not like theres enough accuracy at that level to 'plan' anything.

I giggle when people over 20hc talk about course management. You can't manage the course when you dont have a clue where your shot is going to land because your accuracy is off so much. I mean, he is allowed to do what he wants (as long as the course allows him to drive around it for fun), but before you think about course management, learn to be a solid ball striker.

Are you putting me down for being a 20hc? I'll take your advice on ball striking though.

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

I generally set up a tee-time on Saturday or Sunday for 7:30 or 8:00 AM. I typically wake up at 5:00 AM and take a shower and start a pot of coffee. Pour my coffee and sit outside on our deck and drink my coffee while reading some ESPN updates and/or watching some random golfing tips on YouTube. This generally gets my mind right and relaxes me enough to the point where I leave the house with enough time to spend 30 minutes on the putting green and then I'm good to go.

If I'm in a rush to get there, or to finish my round, it's pointless because I play terrible when I'm in a hurry or out of my routine. I'm like that with anything though... If I tell you I will be at your house to pick you up, or party with you, at 7:00 AM... I will be there at 6:50. I hate being late and do my best to avoid putting additional, unnecessary pressure on myself.

Originally Posted by Jeffrey71

Are you putting me down for being a 20hc? I'll take your advice on ball striking though.

Im not putting you down at all. But I wasn't always a single digit handicap, and I know that at that level, you have no idea where your next shot will end up (sure, you know where you want it), so you cannot plan your way around the course because you dont have the accuracy to do so. Im not putting you down, and didnt mean to offend, I just meant that at level, you should make ballstriking your primary concern, not management. You are a long ways from that part of the game, for now, go for good contact.

It really will greatly benefit your game to focus on one thing at a time.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I try to arrive early enough to avoid running to the first tee.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Im not putting you down at all. But I wasn't always a single digit handicap, and I know that at that level, you have no idea where your next shot will end up (sure, you know where you want it), so you cannot plan your way around the course because you dont have the accuracy to do so. Im not putting you down, and didnt mean to offend, I just meant that at level, you should make ballstriking your primary concern, not management. You are a long ways from that part of the game, for now, go for good contact.

It really will greatly benefit your game to focus on one thing at a time.

I appreciate the feedback. Ball striking it is then.

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

Too hot and muggy for a long warm up. I get there 30 minutes early so my guys can divide up into teams and make the bet. But I only stroke a few practice putts, 2-3 shots with my driver and I'm ready.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Note: This thread is 4303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!