IGNORED

Best used driver to buy? Deep value by going a little older?

Note: This thread is 2782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am happily using a 15 year old set of clubs from 1997-1999.

(Titliest DCI's, TaylorMade Bubble 3W, and Ping putter)

These clubs are perfectly fine, and I will probably never buy another set.

No need.  It's the swing, not the clubs.

That said, I do not own a driver.

I gave my last one away. (Big Bertha, 1995)

I used to be a 12 handicap, but am now 20+ after a 10 year break.

I'm playing again, so I was thinking I'd just get an old driver for $30 on Ebay.  They're all the same to me.

Then, someone in another thread said that while irons and putters are about the same...

drivers have really come a long way since 1997 (more forgiving, huge sweet spot, etc)

So, maybe I should spend a little more and get a more "modern" driver?

If so, can you recommend a driver I can buy blind off Ebay?

Some people go through drivers like underwear, so I know there's TONS of stuff to buy used that is mint and perfectly fine for me.

However, it's hard to know what kind to get without demo'ing.

I am not a big hitter.

For the record, I send my 3W about 200 yards.

My 3 iron about 180.

My PW about 100 yards.

I don't have the booming loft that single digit handicappers have.

For many years, I teed off with a 3W or 3I.

I prefer damage control over distance.

I can afford any club out there, but I don't like wasting money either.

And it's hard to spend a lot when you truly think if the swing is flawed, no driver in the world will help you.

Someone mentioned a Ping G15.

I am thinking regular flex and 12 degree (less hook/slice).

Any others that are a "safe" driver for me?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Used2PlayALot

I'm playing again, so I was thinking I'd just get an old driver for $30 on Ebay.  They're all the same to me.

Then, someone in another thread said that while irons and putters are about the same...

drivers have really come a long way since 1997 (more forgiving, huge sweet spot, etc)

Some people go through drivers like underwear, so I know there's TONS of stuff to buy used that is mint and perfectly fine for me.

I am not a big hitter.

My 3 iron about 180.

My PW about 100 yards.

I can afford any club out there, but I don't like wasting money either.

And it's hard to spend a lot when you truly think if the swing is flawed, no driver in the world will help you.

Thanks.

I am sure other people will chime in but there are mixed stances on adjustable drivers. A) they can change with you and B) they can maybe help that slice with an adjustment instead of HOURS of range time.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

I guess I want a driver that was very popular (b/c it was good), and then just went out of favor (marketing/fashion)

And the result is tons of these for sale on Ebay, for a good price, for a great driver, that just happens to not be the flavor of the month anymore.

What's the difference between the G15 and G20?

I did a quick Google search for adjustable driver.   Is this some sort of quick fix if you're hooking or slicing?

You adjust that screw to chance the club angle?  (Not the loft but the lateral angle, whatever that's called)

Is so, this is a bit too kitschy for me.  If I need that, then I should not be hitting the club.

Thanks!

And I don't mind going a FEW years back.

The G15 seems like it's only 2 years old.

I'm sure there are graeat 430cc drivers that are 5-7 years old (cheaper)

yet still offer the quantum leap over drivers from 1997.

you can change loft and lie with some. One of the cheaper better drivers that I bought that is just a few years old would be the taylormade burner superfast. I picked mine up on craigslist for 50 bucks and it was a great driver. I only got rid of it because I found a steal (almost literally). Im sure you can find em for about that price. Do you have any type of local store where you can go swing clubs. Find on there that is reasonably priced and that YOU like and find it on ebay or something.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Get a Taylormade R7!  I had one a while back and went through a couple newer drivers that I never hit that well.  Broke my then current driver a while back and decided to just go back to the R7.  Found one on ebay for well under $100 (can't remember exactly) in great shape with a newer shaft.  Instantly started driving better again.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Another vote for the R7. Great club that I only recently replaced after playing it for 7 or 8 years. BTW, I played DCI's for a long time too, and they're also a great set of irons!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I am not a big hitter.

My 3 iron about 180.

My PW about 100 yards.

I can afford any club out there, but I don't like wasting money either.

Thanks.

Those distances say you should be swinging a 5 wood, not a 3 wood - and fairways have changed in 15 years. They are bigger, springier, more forgiving across the face.

As to a driver, the high loft will help with less sidespin, but the real reason for the 12-13 degree driver and probably, a senior flex - is to get more launch and more back spin for carry. If you want something safe, I'd say a TM Superfast 2.0 HT (high trajectory) 13 with a regular flex shaft. I think that shaft plays soft since it is 46.5 inches in length. If you want a 45 inch driver, I'd suggest senior flex and cut it 1-1.5 inches from the butt.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I'll check around for the

Titleist 905R

Taylormade R7

Callaway Hyper X

My god man. Go to golf town, or golfsmith, and try out their drivers in your price range. You can get a brand new driver for sub-150. 50% of whats on ebay is counterfeit, for one thing. And buying a club blindly is just dumb. Hit some till you find the one you like, then buy it.

And stop breaking up your sentences. Makes your posts annoying to read.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Divot.com has a pretty sweet deal on a Nike driver today.

Nike VR-S Covert Driver Project X 6.0 Tour 52

Nike VR-S Fairway Wood 3W Fubuki K Graphite Regular Flex

Nike VR-S Iron Set 3-PW, AW, & SW True Temper Dynalite 90 R-Flex

Nike V-REV 60°/10 Wedge

Odyssey White Ice #1

I got a "Probably"  2 season old  Callaway Diablo Tour  from here:  http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/?gcid=google_Callaway-Brand&vehicle;=cpc   after my 3 year hiatus,  and to replace my Hawkeye VFT  which was probably a dozen-15 years old,  so I guess your situation is similar to what mine was a few weeks ago.

Look around and find free shipping codes etc....   I managed to get it for $66 shipped.     Now I'm looking at irons,  which I don't know that I "need" them,  I just can't believe how cheap a set of irons is now....  I paid $1,200 for my set back in 95'  or so,  and now I'm looking at a set for $300!

I'd look into a Nike Sumo 5000.  I've bought a few newer drivers over the last couple years (including a Nike VR Red Tour and Titleist 909D2) and  still haven't found anything that can top that club.

nike.gif  VR-S Covert 10.5*

nike.gif  SQ2 15*

Idea Black Hybrid, 19*

mizuno.gif  MP54, 4-PW

vokey.gif SM 50*, 54*, 58*

nike.gif  Method 001

nike.gif  RZN One

What's the difference between the G15 and G20?

For me, the G15 seem to have a taller face, but shorter front to back.  G20 had a more shallow profile and larger footprint.  I like the looks of the G20 better.  But I'm gaming a 2008 Ping G10 with a V2 High Launch shaft and I haven't found anything that can take that out of the bag yet.

Driver...Ping G10 10.5* V2 High Launch

4-wood......Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz 2012 17*
3-4 Hybrid.......Bobby Jones Player Series 21* and 25*
Irons.........Mizuno MX-200
Wedges....Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52*, Ping Tour-W 56*, Ping Tour-S 60*....Putter-Ping Redwood Piper.....Ball-Srixon TriSpeed Tour

I used a Nickent 4DX Evolver Driver for 3 years  It is a well designed club and had a cult like following among with golfers that wanted great performance and didn't care it wasn't named Taylor Made,.Callaway or Titleist,  Nickent went out of business 2 years ago, but they made a GREAT product!   Do not by Nickent from Golf Galaxy or Dicks.  They bought the name and use it a house brand,  If you can find one with a cyg adaptor buy if fast. If you have questionjs IM me@mlf16507

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=nickent+driver&_sacat=0

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Go buy the one that DivotDaily is offering.

If that doesn't interest you, I bought a Burner Superfast, new, from Golftown for $100 a few weeks ago.

-Bryan

Bag: TM Superfast Driver, TM Burner '08 3W, GigaGolf Irons, Yes! Sandy Putter

Note: This thread is 2782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!