IGNORED

I was amazed by this...

CG031
Note: This thread is 6159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(Am I the only one that still advocates laying into the guy while you've got the chance? Maybe it's just me, my personality, or from my experiences, I'd still have a go at it. My tolerance for 70+ golfers with a bad attitude has been whittled down to zero from being stuck behind too many leagues, foursomes, and just plain *******s.)

Um...yes. I think you are.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Am I the only one that still advocates laying into the guy while you've got the chance? Maybe it's just me, my personality, or from my experiences, I'd still have a go at it. My tolerance for 70+ golfers with a bad attitude has been whittled down to zero from being stuck behind too many leagues, foursomes, and just plain *******s.)

Does "laying into the guy" mean physically assaulting him?

If so, there could be some pretty severe consequences . . .

Does "laying into the guy" mean physically assaulting him?

Nah, I mean verbally.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Ok, so now I know never to do this again. Clearly learned my lesson. You guys were alright, even if someone says something stupid like that you shouldn't let it bother you and you should just go with the flow you know. Thanks again for helpin me out here guys.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

You certainly got a lot of advice - it took guts for you to ask for opinions and to trust enough to ask - just asking for an opinion shows that you want to learn from the stuff that happens to you, good job!!

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

First of all, I am 16 years old, so I understand the types of looks young people get on the golf course, as I assume everybody did when they were young.

Second of all, I think it took guts to go online and ask people what they thought, because you must have known you were going to get ripped for what you said.

I can't really say what I would do in that situation, because I am very competative and sometimes hot-headed, which it looks like you are too. In an ideal situation though I would just shake it off, and the next time he watches you take a shot, make sure to hit a shot right on the money, and turn around and stare at him. In my opinion that would send him the message that the one shot you drove OB was a fluke, and that he should never question what tees you hit from again. It would also give you the feeling that you proved the geezer wrong without being out of hand or rude.

Just my 2 cents.

In The Bag...

Driver: SQ Sumo 10.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto
3 Wood: Burner
Hybrid: SQ 18*Irons(3-PW): 755 w/ Dynamic Gold S30052.08*: Vokey Oil Can56.14*: Vokey Spin MilledPutter: Newport 2Ball: pro v1xShoes: Footjoy Athletics

Sure we could talk all day about golf being a gentlemens game and you were in the wrong. But the fact is.. when your'e young, you feel the need to defend yourself.

Im 23 and if someone insults me out of reason i feel that I need to stick up for myself.. and frankly im surprised your dad didnt step in and mention to the guy.. this is my son and i dont appreciate you speaking to him in that manner, no matter where he's hitting it.

I think your choice of words was definetely subject and probably a direct result of your immaturity. I wouldnt sweat it though bud, it sounds like your a good kid who just got upset. Golf is an emotional game for everyone and thats what makes it so great. Just take the situation and learn from it, thats all you can do.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Just be glad your dad wasn't my dad. If I had done that when I was 15 I probably wouldn't have been allowed to golf for the rest of the season.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

well, being that im 20, theres plenty of young kids who hit the ball farther than any of the old golfers have in their lives, so i dont know why hed bring up how far you hit the ball, hes just ignorant.

You shouldve just asked him to shut the **** up (assuming he was actually bein rude to you first and siad it in a realy shitty tone, if he just siad something to you calmly you could have talked to him (althought it would have still been rude))and kept it moving, one little jab and kept going.

If you are a 19 handicap, you really shouldn't be playing from the tips; however, as long as you are keeping pace it makes no difference. I would have pointed out to the gentleman that your group was being held up by the group in front of you. I hate it that people can be so short sighted on the golf course and assume that the group directly in front is the problem with pace.

Driver: Taylor Made RBZ HL
3-Wood:Taylor Made RBZ 16*
Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ 19* and 22*
4i-PW: Titleist AP 1
Wedges: Vokey 54*, 60* Putter: Cameron Squareback 2 Ball: Pro V1x

I did point that out(that the 80 year olds in front of us were playing extremely slow [we caught up to them and had to wait at least 2-5 minutes on each tee]) - and when the course is only 5900 yds from the next tees up, (6400 yds from the tips) I don't want to play those tees. I dont enjoy it without length...I'm not the biggest hitter but I dont want to be hitting a drive and a wedge on every par 4..

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

CG031,
I see you are from Jersey.. Isn't what you said to the guy translated to "How are you sir, have a great day?" in other parts of the country?

Looks like you learned a lesson. Next time, show the old guy how well you can strike the ball on the next box, that'll shut him up.

R5 Dual 9.5
F50 16.5
R7 TP 3-PW
RAC Satin 52 and 56 deg
Vokey 59 deg Studio Newport 2 HX Tour 56

CG031,

HAHA. Yeah, New Jersey can sometimes be like that.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW

Comments aside, and assuming that you weren't actually holding up the course, I don't think you did anything wrong (again comments aside).

You should have just said "it was just one bad swing" then re-teed and striped one down the middle.

I agree, distance is irrelevant. Just ask Corey Pavin.

does anyone remember the dude in Wisconsin that killed the 51 year old over an argument on the golf course? That could happen if you talk to guys like that. He was definitely in the wrong, but he's grumpy. You need to let your game do the talking though.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

now i'm like 5 foot 11, 170, with a slim and muscular build and avg driver distance of 270 (in mass, where there is not much roll).

however, when i was 13-18 and playing a lot of jr. tournaments i was short, VERY FAT, and with my dark skin I just looked like the antithesis of what the old guys were used to seeing. i also used to only hit it like 22 with driver before I got taller and more athletic. i used to get comments like you did ALL THE TIME but the best thing to do is to just keep minding your business and ignore the haters. I know in the heat of the moment it can be different tho. the fagboy remark was out of line but asking about his handicap is fine, or saying something indicating you're a better player is fine for that kind of situation, because sometimes u gotta say something

not much more to say that hasn't already been said.
you lowered yourself to his level by using a slur, basically throws your credibility into the toilet, whether you are right or wrong.
this is one example of the COUNTLESS times you will face things like this in your lifetime. you sound like a pretty mature 15 year old, however you have lots to learn. i'm not suggesting you roll over and play dead, and i understand the need to stick up and defend yourself, especially in the heat of the moment, but you really need to step back and think before you speak and act.

elders deserve a certain amount of respect, even if they don't see it your way, even if they're out of line, you should hold YOURSELF to a higher standard. like someone already mentioned, you can't control what HE does, but you can control your reaction and how you respond.

not that anything excuses his behavior, but he could be a veteran, he could be dying and be quite possibly playing his last round of golf, maybe he's a widower and he's taking it out on the easiest target out there, a 15 year old who just knocked his tee shot into the woods, or perhaps he's just a grumpy old douche bag that's impossible to please...no matter what he is, you should have acted better and represented your age group in a more professional light instead of rattling off curses and slurs.

nuff said. consider it the cheapest life lesson you've ever learned, nobody got hurt.
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

Note: This thread is 6159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!