Jump to content
IGNORED

Americans and Brits Shouting!


Jimmy3putts
 Share

Note: This thread is 3289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

The shouting doesn't really entertain me or bother me. It's just kind of "there". I can look past it and not be disgusted or die of laughter, I guess I really don't care either way.

Sports are changing and evolving with time. Remember when you could smoke and drink while bowling on the PBA, or seeing players in sports smoke on TV in old film? Now that is not allowed, but they never played hip hop songs after strikes either.

If shouting after a shot in golf is what the new "thing" is, it doesn't bother me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by NuclearMike

To return to the topic at hand, I think that the shouting is silly when people yell something that doesn't have any relation to golf, like "Mashed Potatoes!".  I'm not a big fan of "Get in the Hole" or "You Da Man!" either, but unfortunately it looks like they're here to stay.  I love the game and think that the shouts are simply attention getting tactics by people who may have had too much to drink or just feel the need to draw attention to themselves because they're just too insecure to not be the "life of the party" and enjoy the game for what it is.

Yeah, I get the impression it's frat guy types (sorry for the stereotype) that just know that they've heard it on tv and think its funny.  I'm guessing the same kind of guys who think farting aloud in public (past the age of 14) is funny.

Quote:

The shouting doesn't really entertain me or bother me. It's just kind of "there". I can look past it and not be disgusted or die of laughter, I guess I really don't care either way.

Sports are changing and evolving with time. Remember when you could smoke and drink while bowling on the PBA, or seeing players in sports smoke on TV in old film? Now that is not allowed, but they never played hip hop songs after strikes either.

If shouting after a shot in golf is what the new "thing" is, it doesn't bother me.

And I agree with this too.  It is what it is, I'm not going to get worked up over it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its because some American fans are idiots, think its funny and want to be heard on TV.  I honestly wish they would start throwing people out of tournaments for doing stuff like that because its rude.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


The majority of any crowd just claps and if they say anything it's 'nice shot', 'yeah', 'good ball', in a moderate tone.

It's only 1 or 2 in the crowd that acts like a jackass. And yes, Golfingdad, I don't think you're stereotyping but let's just call it 'characterizing', but they are the frat type, or the type that talks way too loud to everyone at a bar, or drives agressively, or looks in the mirror and flexes and poses at the gym...we all know the type, right?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by dak4n6

... but they are the frat type, or the type that talks way too loud to everyone at a bar, or drives agressively, or looks in the mirror and flexes and poses at the gym...we all know the type, right?

Yup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yelling "Mashed Potatoes" was a deliberate attempt by the fringe to unsettle the traditionalists that yell "Get in the Hole" or "You da Man"! I don't see it coming in vogue for the mainstream shouters as they are deeply entrenched in their guttural ways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Yelling "Mashed Potatoes" was a deliberate attempt by the fringe to unsettle the traditionalists that yell "Get in the Hole" or "You da Man"! I don't see it coming in vogue for the mainstream shouters as they are deeply entrenched in their guttural ways.

Everything truly is relative, huh?  They got you to refer to loudmouths at golf tournaments as "traditionalist."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My .02. and believe me that is all its worth.

Anybody that hollers something really stupid, like "mashed potatoes"  should be tased for 3 seconds under the right shoulder blade.  He will think twice about hollering again.  I don't mind people being loud just not goofy loud.

One taser, 3 seconds..............done........

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Yelling "Mashed Potatoes" was a deliberate attempt by the fringe to unsettle the traditionalists that yell "Get in the Hole" or "You da Man"! I don't see it coming in vogue for the mainstream shouters as they are deeply entrenched in their guttural ways.

Everything truly is relative, huh?  They got you to refer to loudmouths at golf tournaments as "traditionalist."

Well there has to be a distinction. "You da man" has been a staple for many years. Certainly one could say that "Mashed Potatoes" smacks of disestablishmentarianism.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by saevel25

.... all they remind me of are drunk college kids who make themselves look like idiots.

Which is funny, because most of them probably are drunk college kids who are idiots!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Mashed potatoes got an incredulous chuckle out of me the first time I heard it.  Since then it's just been annoying as are all the other stupid phrases people yell out at golf tournaments so they can go to work the next day and ask their buddies if they were able to hear their idiotic shouts, thus validating they are idiots.

I get golf is trying to be more mainstream, but it's heading in the direction of boxing rather than tennis.  I won't be shocked when idiots start shouting insults at golfers, "Hey Tiger, you're a bum, my mother could hit the ball further."

I hope they stop the shouting, between the poor commentators and live sounds of the stupid crowd I will have to watch with the volume off just to not get annoyed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Mashed potatoes got an incredulous chuckle out of me the first time I heard it.  Since then it's just been annoying as are all the other stupid phrases people yell out at golf tournaments so they can go to work the next day and ask their buddies if they were able to hear their idiotic shouts, thus validating they are idiots.

In the Olympic spirit, the gold medal of water cooler success would have to be the YouTube capture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Exactly, everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame these days.

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

In the Olympic spirit, the gold medal of water cooler success would have to be the YouTube capture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm just not understanding how it can bother so many people so much. Believe me, I'm not saying it "shouldn't" bother you, or debating anything with those of you that this drives crazy. Everyone will have their own things that bother them and that is fine.

Personally, I can just shake my head and not care at all. Do I think it's dumb? Of course, but I don't let it drive me insane or bother me. In all honesty, I would probably care more if I was there in person and people kept doing it because at that point I paid good money to attend an event in person and it would be in my realm to probably tell them to shut the hell up. At home though, watching it on Tv, it doesn't bother me one bit.

I would be more pissed if I dropped $500-2000 per pass and someone was ruining my time. When I'm sitting outside having a beer and grilling and watching a tournament though, it's hard to let something so small/petty bother me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I don't mind going to a football or hockey game and having people cheer or even throw out an emotionally charged profanity every once in a while.  What I find annoying is that the people yelling stupid phrases at golf events aren't emotionally connected to what's going on, they are just yelling things to bring attention to themselves.

Originally Posted by Spyder

I'm just not understanding how it can bother so many people so much. Believe me, I'm not saying it "shouldn't" bother you, or debating anything with those of you that this drives crazy. Everyone will have their own things that bother them and that is fine.

Personally, I can just shake my head and not care at all. Do I think it's dumb? Of course, but I don't let it drive me insane or bother me. In all honesty, I would probably care more if I was there in person and people kept doing it because at that point I paid good money to attend an event in person and it would be in my realm to probably tell them to shut the hell up. At home though, watching it on Tv, it doesn't bother me one bit.

I would be more pissed if I dropped $500-2000 per pass and someone was ruining my time. When I'm sitting outside having a beer and grilling and watching a tournament though, it's hard to let something so small/petty bother me.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Iowa gone. Double digit loss to an unranked team in your own stadium? They did it in 2018 to OhioSt. Purdue just put the buzz kill on Iowa. Bye Bye top 10 for Iowa!
    • Day 110 (16 Oct 21) - Took 7i to the beach today….spent time w/foam balls chipping on the packed sand.  Grandson had set up a “hole” in the sand, so the game was to chip into the hole.  With the steady onshore breeze, made for playing the wind.  
    • Birdied the 12th hole.  Thought I had already punched that ticket this year, but looking at the spreadsheet, looks like I haven't.  Nine left.
    • Halfway through Midnight Mass and it’s pretty good. And I heard it really gets going at the end. 
    • I played 2 balls on 9 holes this morning, I have a grab bag of hand me down and yard sale clubs so with great weather and a surprisingly empty course behind me I set out to figure some things out.    Ball #1 I played a Cobra 5 wood off the tee, a Titleist 5 hybrid for fairways and wedges for approach. Cobra mallet putter for putts.   Ball #2 I played only irons, 5 iron off the tee and 5/7/pw from everywhere else. An old Ping Karsten putter.   Ball #1 setup I scored a 54, I had never played this Cobra 5 wood before but I hit 6 of 7 fairways with it , with 175 to 200 yards carry. If can copy that performance I'd be ecstatic. The 5 hybrid was great for me playing 18 yesterday but killed me today with a couple duffs and 3 off target misses. The greens were very wet the first few holes so my putting was rough, I think I like the Ping putter better.   Ball #2 I scored a 47 which is a personal best for me,  I had a couple 3 putts in there and a couple holes I just barely missed birdie or par putts.   If I combined best hole score from the 2 balls I would have scored a 44 , I'm really pleased with today as I just started playing in June and finally played a round with no major blowups and a respectable score.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. 45Fan
      45Fan
      (53 years old)
    2. boxofballs
      boxofballs
      (47 years old)
    3. CaptainsChoice
      CaptainsChoice
      (35 years old)
    4. dagolfer18
      dagolfer18
      (18 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...