IGNORED

Americans and Brits Shouting!

Jimmy3putts
Note: This thread is 4220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That Monte dickhead is one heck of a troll (intelligent yes, but dickhead nonetheless), and I'm a little disappointed in you vg for taking the bait and descending into his world...

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

That Monte dickhead is one heck of a troll (intelligent yes, but dickhead nonetheless), and I'm a little disappointed in you vg for taking the bait and descending into his world...

Hey whoa, I am not arguing with him. I only have stated the same thing over again. I really don't know what he is saying now because I have blocked him for over a week. I hardly think it takes intelligence to behave this way. If he was intelligent he would be a better person.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Same here. We're tougher than to let some obvious troll shut down a perfectly decent thread ..... aren't we? I do feel sorry for the other Brits trying to humor him tho'. I suspect I'd enjoy a pint with Monte after a round but that's a different story. Those sort of tactics backfire badly face-to-face.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

Same here. We're tougher than to let some obvious troll shut down a perfectly decent thread ..... aren't we? I do feel sorry for the other Brits trying to humor him tho'. I suspect I'd enjoy a pint with Monte after a round but that's a different story. Those sort of tactics backfire badly face-to-face.

Well I'm a Brit and not one who will try to humour him.

He's an attention seeker.

Bet Psychiatrists would queue up to get him on the proverbial couch

I'm a Brit too, and new to the forum. I've lived a fair amount of my life in the States (North Carolina, DC, Florida briefly), my folks still spend half the year in Florida, have some good friends over there. I've worked with Americans quite a bit on Operations in both the Iraq campaign and Afghanistan, got on really well with your guys.

I'm not surprised at Monte, you guys are giving him all the fuel he needs to keep going and some people just love to 'rile' people. What I am surprised about is that you think this is typically British behavour.

I'm also frankly stunned with coments like how thankful we should all be that the US saved the world during the world wars, like it was all on your own, or that the Open Championship is only important because American golfers decided it was and should be dropped, or that the European Tour is inferior (Poults hasn't won on the 'big' tour yet etc etc), or that Brits are just probably jealous of Americans generally, or that ...............

You know what guys, I think I'm wasting my breath. No, strike that, I know I am. I've got a lot of American friends, generally speaking I get on with your countrymen well. Some of you though, are reminding me why a lot of people the world over don't. Don't get dragged down to Monte's level? Friends, some of you are already there. He's doing it to annoy you, some of you actually believe you are superior in every way.

Came here to talk about golf. Frankly needn't have bothered. Where's the 'cancel membership' button?

Take care Joakim, all the best mate. You too Chas.

Pete Iveson

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Hey whoa, I am not arguing with him. I only have stated the same thing over again. I really don't know what he is saying now because I have blocked him for over a week. I hardly think it takes intelligence to behave this way. If he was intelligent he would be a better person.

This takes balls. He doesn't know what I'm saying, but he knows I'm a bad person for writing what I write. What a champ.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Originally Posted by Vermeer

Well I'm a Brit and not one who will try to humour him.

He's an attention seeker.

Bet Psychiatrists would queue up to get him on the proverbial couch

I'm not here for you to patronise me: I don't care. If I detect arrogance or bullshit, I'll tell ya. That's my way. Happy to talk golf, but I'll pull no punches if I get a cretin on the end of the line.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Originally Posted by Chas

I would'nt drink with you: you are clearly in the ''he wrote something I didn't like, ban him, he's a troll'' camp, without examining the posts where morons have not hijacked my posts, or where bullshit artists have not intervened on what I wrote.

Chas, you're a Brit, but I guarantee you'd be BORING to have a drink with.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

They're just opinions guys.  Everyone has them.

The frustrating thing is the different interpretation.

American saying that Poulter wouldn't make it on the PGA tour?  You're an arrogant American.

European saying that Bubba Watson would fail playing the links courses of Europe?  You're an educated, gentlemanly golf fan expressing a perfectly valid opinion.

Originally Posted by wadesworld

They're just opinions guys.  Everyone has them.

The frustrating thing is the different interpretation.

American saying that Poulter wouldn't make it on the PGA tour?  You're an arrogant American.

European saying that Bubba Watson would fail playing the links courses of Europe?  You're an educated, gentlemanly golf fan expressing a perfectly valid opinion.

Europeans saying Bubba Watson would fail on links courses may have a point: he has a liking to shaping the ball a bit too much. This, combined with wind and rough is not a potent mix for success on a tight course. Let us not forget his miraculous 'home' lie at Augusta, a frankyly amazing shot out of tree's, and bogey by Oosthuizen. Let's not forget - Watson won with a par on a hole that a lefty like Watson should crush with a 3 wood and a 9 iron.

Good dig though.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

I would'nt drink with you: you are clearly in the ''he wrote something I didn't like, ban him, he's a troll'' camp, without examining the posts where morons have not hijacked my posts, or where bullshit artists have not intervened on what I wrote. Chas, you're a Brit, but I guarantee you'd be BORING to have a drink with.

hmmmm I don't like trolls it is true. However, I Never Said You Should Be Banned - got that sport? - personally I prefer to deal with people like you directly on an open forum. In case you haven't noticed that is what I'm doing now. I DO NOT want Erik to shut down this thread, or ban ANYBODY. If he does it won't be because I asked him to - are we clear now? This is an interesting thread. When you aren't trolling you're doing your part IMO - you know more about British golf/golfers than most of us, by far. So calm down. Also, I am not a Brit. Just sound a bit like one - took full advantage of the splendid English educational system (through postdoc @ Sussex) for about 25 years. I still think it would be interesting to have a pint of Old Peculiar at the Royal Standard of England with you but I can live without the experience. If you bought me a pint I might even agree about Bubba on a windy links course. Cheers, and don't get too excited. So many courses, so little time.

4-hybrid:

Nosevi: wish you'd stay around. Just ignore the amateur historians .....

4-hybrid:

• Administrator
Originally Posted by dak4n6

This thread is disgusting.

Erik????

Nobody's reported any posts. What, you think I read EVERY post made here in detail? I often just skim posts looking for spammers and/or people who don't embed YouTube videos. And people who don't multiquote (Monte, start doing this).

Originally Posted by Monte the Bear

Europeans saying Bubba Watson would fail on links courses may have a point: he has a liking to shaping the ball a bit too much. This, combined with wind and rough is not a potent mix for success on a tight course.

In my experience, treed golf courses feel a lot "tighter" than treeless ones. Just sayin'.

Poulter sucks at stroke play. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Nosevi

You know what guys, I think I'm wasting my breath. No, strike that, I know I am. I've got a lot of American friends, generally speaking I get on with your countrymen well. Some of you though, are reminding me why a lot of people the world over don't. Don't get dragged down to Monte's level? Friends, some of you are already there. He's doing it to annoy you, some of you actually believe you are superior in every way.

Came here to talk about golf. Frankly needn't have bothered. Where's the 'cancel membership' button?

Take care Joakim, all the best mate. You too Chas.

Hi Nosevi,

I just wanted to express my sincere thanks for your astute insight and perspectives. You helped me considerably on several levels especially on your PM’s. I seen your last post and I hope you continue on this site. Your knowledgeable insights on golf and your attempts to diffuse contentious situations shows how well centered you are. I believe what you noticed were responses to continuous attacks on Americans from one individual, criticizing us as individuals, about our Countries actions in our wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, etc, etc. We should have your taken your advise that the best course is to ignore these attacks. Personally, I haven’t previously noticed any bigotry against the Brits or any condescending comments to and from the Americans and the Brits until observing comments on these threads. I also believe the US has many faults (i.e our medical system) and feel no superiority to other Countries.

Regarding the subject of this thread, there was a segment on “Real sports with Bryant Gumbel” on HBO and the subject was about violence in sports. There were over 7,000 injuries (to the best of my recollection over the past year) including shootings, fighting and many cases of permanent serious injuries to individuals for simply wearing the opposing teams uniform in the home teams stadium. He surmises that it is due to the degeneration of Society in general to the influence of social media and I believe in part to the recession of our economy.

Anyway, you have an American friend in me and I wish you all the best.

Ok, calmed down now. There wasn't a quit membership button anyway. And I may have over reacted, just possibly......

Thing is lots of you are responding to Monte, don't really get why. He's so clearly just baiting you. And several of the responces just say how superior the US is to the Uk in every way, including our golf. Love your country, really do, well bits of it anyway - it's kind of a big place - but some of the comments about how insignificant some of you see us Brits and indeed the rest of the world was something I've not seen before. I've heard about it from time to time but never seen it. You really don't need to try to put everyone else down, you've got some really great places within your borders and some great people living there. You're proud, I get that, but we're pretty proud too.

Comments about how you seriously kicked butt at the Olypics - ok you got the most medals, really good haul and well done to you (I do mean that), but just stop and look at the table a sec. Us 'plucky Brits' came third in the world. This tiny island came third and got as near as damn it 2/3 of the medals you did with a 1/5 of the population. Take it one stage further, Yorkshire (where I grew up after coming back from North Carolina), a single county which is smaller than each of your states bar Connecticut, Delaware or Rhode Island (think that's right) came 12th in the table and got as many golds as Japan or Australia. Proud of that? You better believe it.

And Golf? Golf is not as big over here as in the States, we don't have the Collegic system (although some of our players obviously take advantage of yours, often if not always on scholarship), yet look at the World rankings at the moment. 4 out of the first 5 spots are from the British Isles. Ok we're a little thin on the ground from there on in but 4 out of the top 5 is not bad for a windy group of islands in the north atlantic.

When we talk about wars, it can get a little involved but why did you guys enter WW1 and WW2? I'm sure most of you know but I always thought WW1 was basically for your own reasons - Zimmerman note was a biggy (and I think you may thank our inteligence service for helping there) as was financial reasons. WW2 obviously you were pretty much drawn in. On neither of those occasions were you wrong, I think you had it spot on, but saying, or implying, that you came to save the rest of the world and basically did it alone is not only disingenuous to all those people who fought along side you, it's also wholey wrong. I'm awfully glad you did mind.

My point is being proud of your country is fine, I'm proud of mine, but a view that puts the US at the top of the world in all things and looks down on all others is not a good thing. If you don't believe me take a stroll down the road in Kuwait City, or Basra in Iraq, or Kabul or Kandahar in Afghanistan and ask the average people what they think of the US soldiers who have liberated them. I have. We go into these places with a different mind set to your guys (trust me I know having operated with both British and US troops out in the Gulf). The mind set that sets the locals teeth on edge is very similar to some of the comments I was refering to.

As this is a golf forum I'll just leave you with one thought. To prove you are at the top of the world as far as golf is concerned most would agree that you have two chances - The Ryder Cup and the World no 1 spot. Take those off us then come back and be as smug as you want. Until that time, simply doff your cap and perhaps say "well played".

• Upvote 1

Pete Iveson

Note: This thread is 4220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!