• Announcements

    • iacas

      GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

      Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DufnerDip

Shorts...

48 posts in this topic

So I'm 6'4 and cannot stand short shorts... I'm looking for golf shorts and reason being, they're much lighter than your average khaki short and come in a variety of colors or patterns but can't seem to find anything that is long enough. I'd like them at the very least to hang over the middle of my knee cap while standing straight up.

Any other tall guys out there found anything I can try? What inseam length should I be looking for?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

the easiest answer would be to get yourself a tailors tape and measure your inseam. I don't know if you'll find many golf shorts with an inseam longer than 12, though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure exactly how long they are, but my oakley shorts hang pretty far over my knees. I'm only 5'8 though. Maybe they'll fall higher up for you.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I '6"5 and I am happy when shorts go to my knee.  Haven't tried the nike and new adidas golf shorts, but they look a little bit longer?  Only problem is they are $70, unless the golf shop is having a sale.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Golf shorts are getting longer, but middle of the kneecap is really long.  I'm 5'11", and my nike shorts sit just at the top of the knee.  And that's a long short.

Maybe get some pants made for short fat people?

BTW the nike dry-fit tech shorts are great.  So great, in fact, that I just bought a few pairs of their pants in the same style.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like the looks of the Nike shorts myself but being 6'3" they are too short for me. I dont like shorts to stop above the knee. Snake Eyes makes a decent length short and if you have JC Penney in your area the Arizona brand shorts fit me perfectly right below the knee. And you cant beat the price at $14/pair. I loaded up on every color they had. Im wearing the white ones in my avatar pic.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Shaggie13

I '6"5 and I am happy when shorts go to my knee.  Haven't tried the nike and new adidas golf shorts, but they look a little bit longer?  Only problem is they are $70, unless the golf shop is having a sale.

Budget Golf has really good prices on Nike and Adidas shorts. I order stuff from them alot.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

I like the looks of the Nike shorts myself but being 6'3" they are too short for me. I dont like shorts to stop above the knee. Snake Eyes makes a decent length short and if you have JC Penney in your area the Arizona brand shorts fit me perfectly right below the knee. And you cant beat the price at $14/pair. I loaded up on every color they had. Im wearing the white ones in my avatar pic.


Seriously below the knee?  You're 4 inches taller than me; my 11" inseam shorts stop right at the top of the knee.  Bottom of the knee would be 13".  So for you to get shorts below the knee, they'd have to be at least a 15" inseam.  Those aren't shorts--they're capri pants.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by k-troop

Seriously below the knee?  You're 4 inches taller than me; my 11" inseam shorts stop right at the top of the knee.  Bottom of the knee would be 13".  So for you to get shorts below the knee, they'd have to be at least a 15" inseam.  Those aren't shorts--they're capri pants.

Uh yeah seriously. Call them what you like, but Im comfortable.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy your favourite khakis, take them to a seamstress, get them hemmed to your desired length.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by DufnerDip

So I'm 6'4 and cannot stand short shorts... I'm looking for golf shorts and reason being, they're much lighter than your average khaki short and come in a variety of colors or patterns but can't seem to find anything that is long enough. I'd like them at the very least to hang over the middle of my knee cap while standing straight up.

Any other tall guys out there found anything I can try? What inseam length should I be looking for?

Travis Mathew makes very nice golf shorts.  I'd recommend you check them out... Every short I buy from now on will be from them... As their pocket layout are genius - and they look nice and tailored.  I'm not tall - but they are worth the money IMO.

http://www.travismathew.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c;=8

Note, the model that they use is 6'2" tall - so you should be able to get a good idea of the length of the short.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Budget Golf has really good prices on Nike and Adidas shorts. I order stuff from them alot.


Thanks for that info.

Went to the Nike outlet store after I got a Nike gift card and bought two pairs of golf dri-fit shorts.  Regular $65 bucks got them for $35 a piece.  Also, to the original poster's question, the shorts cover the top part of my knees, so they are quite long.  I have long legs and wear a 36" inseam in pants.  Hope this helps.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta agree with k-troop.  Below the knee shorts on a 6'4" guy just look like capris or back to the future mid 90s hip hop style.

To be a bit helpful though, if perhaps part of the problem with shorter golf shorts is that they often look like shorts only a preppy suburban dad would want to wear, a lot of surf companies have started making shorts they call hybrid or walk shorts (as opposed to board shorts) that look much better (to my eye) and are feel even lighter and breath more than my very light and breathable nike golf shorts.  I picked up a pair of these the other day when I saw them on sale:

http://shop.ripcurl.com/us/shop/categories/guys/shorts/mirage-less-than-zero-boardwalk/

Inseam's 11", though I'm 6'2+" and they come down to about the top of my knee.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mdl

To be a bit helpful though, if perhaps part of the problem with shorter golf shorts is that they often look like shorts only a preppy suburban dad would want to wear, a lot of surf companies have started making shorts they call hybrid or walk shorts (as opposed to board shorts) that look much better (to my eye) and are feel even lighter and breath more than my very light and breathable nike golf shorts.  I picked up a pair of these the other day when I saw them on sale:

http://shop.ripcurl.com/us/shop/categories/guys/shorts/mirage-less-than-zero-boardwalk/

Inseam's 11", though I'm 6'2+" and they come down to about the top of my knee.

I can second this recommendation to look at the "surf" brands like Hurley, O'Neill, etc. More selection and cheaper prices. Polyester is good for shorts it is light and it dries fast. Retailers still look at golfers from the perspective of a third-world street vendor: the same products cost you more because they know you've got more money.

If you shop online, you want to buy somewhere that gives full measurements like this: Waist Measurement: 32 in/ Outseam: 21 in/ Inseam: 11 in/ Front Rise: 12 in/ Back Rise: 14 in/ Leg Opening: 22 in. Basically you get out of it what you put in, don't be a lazyass, get your best fitting shorts out and measure them with a ruler. If you find some that are perfect, go straight back and order another pair in a different color. For some reason shorts have given me trouble in the past and I had to learn all this the hard way.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't mind a cargo pocket (and I prefer one or two for golfing), the Prana Zion shorts are great for golf. Lightweight stretch nylon is nicely tailored but also very comfortable due to the 2% spandex. The inseam on size M is 12-13 inches and I think they look great. By far my favorite shorts for almost every activity, and you can even swim in them as the nylon fabric dries fast as well.

http://www.amazon.com/prAna-Stretch-Short-Brown-Medium/dp/B005W4KYM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1348848106&sr;=8-1&keywords;=prana+zion+shorts

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by LeftyGomez

If you don't mind a cargo pocket (and I prefer one or two for golfing), the Prana Zion shorts are great for golf. Lightweight stretch nylon is nicely tailored but also very comfortable due to the 2% spandex. The inseam on size M is 12-13 inches and I think they look great. By far my favorite shorts for almost every activity, and you can even swim in them as the nylon fabric dries fast as well.

http://www.amazon.com/prAna-Stretch-Short-Brown-Medium/dp/B005W4KYM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1348848106&sr;=8-1&keywords;=prana+zion+shorts


Cargo shorts are not acceptable for golf.  Infact, a lot of courses wont even let you on if you show up with cargo shorts.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I've never had a problem with the Zion shorts at the courses I play, even at charity events at private clubs, and they don't look like "baggy cargo shorts with clown pockets" in any way; they look like tailored knee length shorts with a subtle cargo pocket that most people don't even notice. I suspect that a course that allows shorts at all (which includes every course I ever play) would not bat an eye at the looks of these, unless they have a cargo-Nazi attitude, which may well exist at some, but certainly not at most, courses these days.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Cargo shorts are not acceptable for golf.

Come again?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0