IGNORED

Should I play ProV1 or ProV1x?

Note: This thread is 4243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I'm in my third season of golf, shooting 90-95 most rounds nowadays. I'm a light hitter: 200-220 off the tee, and my 7-iron only goes about 130 yards...

As discussed in previous threads, I like to play all the ProV1s and ProV1Xs I can get my hands on. As long as they're not cut or badly scuffed, I play them.

Question is, at this point in my life, would one work better for me than the other? I am able to generate some spin on my iron shots... they do check up quite often... However, as a light hitter, I could use the extra roll of a ProV1x...

Thoughts and suggestions? I would also accept the answer of "it doesn't matter right now, just use whatever you like."

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

Originally Posted by WalkTheCourse

Hello,

I'm in my third season of golf, shooting 90-95 most rounds nowadays. I'm a light hitter: 200-220 off the tee, and my 7-iron only goes about 130 yards...

As discussed in previous threads, I like to play all the ProV1s and ProV1Xs I can get my hands on. As long as they're not cut or badly scuffed, I play them.

Question is, at this point in my life, would one work better for me than the other? I am able to generate some spin on my iron shots... they do check up quite often... However, as a light hitter, I could use the extra roll of a ProV1x...

Thoughts and suggestions? I would also accept the answer of "it doesn't matter right now, just use whatever you like."

Neither. They are a complete waste of money for higher handicappers.

A "lighter" hitter should play a softer ball (so ball manufacturer theory has it) so that greater compression and a better co-efficient of restitution is achieved - more spring like effect off the club face. They will help you get more distance off the tee and cost a lot less.

Srixon Soft Feel, Nike Pro Distance Super Soft, Maxfli Laddie, Titleist DT SoLo are just a few samples which would help your game and halve your ball costs.

Thank you burner. I certainly appreciate your input on Lo Co golf balls, and will consider purchasing them in the future...

That's... if I purchase golf balls... Perhaps I should have been more clear. I don't pay for the aforementioned golfballs, and am very aware that anyone who spends $4.00 a ball at my level is wasting their money. These are balls that I find on the course or have given to me. I carefully inspect them and make sure they don't have cuts, big scuffs, etc.

xFIXx

Thank you burner. I certainly appreciate your input on Lo Co golf balls, and will consider purchasing them in the future...

That's... if I purchase golf balls... Perhaps I should have been more clear. I don't pay for the aforementioned golfballs, and am very aware that anyone who spends $4.00 a ball at my level is wasting their money. These are balls that I find on the course or have given to me. I carefully inspect them and make sure they don't have cuts, big scuffs, etc.

I'f someone blacked out the labels and you couldn't tell which one was an V1 and which was a V1X I'd be extremely surprised (i.e. shocked) if you could tell the difference. I like the X but could use a V1 and be quite happy. I personally don't play either very often because they're way too popular. When I use a less common ball (with virtually identical characteristics btw), I seem to get to play my own ball more often (fewer stolen and playing partners hitting mine by mistake).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

When I use a less common ball (with virtually identical characteristics btw), I seem to get to play my own ball more often (fewer stolen and playing partners hitting mine by mistake).

Ever considered marking your ball?

Haven't bought a ball in years. There are more Pro Vs in the woods and rough around my club than almost any other ball.

[QUOTE name="sean_miller" url="/t/62006/should-i-play-prov1-or-prov1x#post_766919"] When I use a less common ball (with virtually identical characteristics btw), I seem to get to play my own ball more often (fewer stolen and playing partners hitting mine by mistake). [/QUOTE] Ever considered marking your ball?

Ever consider checking?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

LOL Burner...

Indeed, they're the most popular balls in the woods. I'd say 20% of the balls I find hit the ProV1 jackpot.

Question is, what does that speak to? Are ProV1's hard to keep straight? Or are there a great number of golfers who have "more money than brains," as I like to put it, and are wasting their cash on 4 dollar golf balls?

[I'm fairly certain it's the latter, but an interesting question to raise nonetheless...]

xFIXx

Titleist has done a good job getting a high number of pro golfers to use their golf balls so every hacker thinks it will help their game too.  Golfers tend to have more disposable income than others so it's likely more money than common sense.

LOL Burner...

Indeed, they're the most popular balls in the woods. I'd say 20% of the balls I find hit the ProV1 jackpot.

Question is, what does that speak to? Are ProV1's hard to keep straight? Or are there a great number of golfers who have "more money than brains," as I like to put it, and are wasting their cash on 4 dollar golf balls?

[I'm fairly certain it's the latter, but an interesting question to raise nonetheless...]

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not sure if the question should be which Pro V1 to play or more of what ball to play.  IMHO, I think you should find a ball that fits your game, if you find that the Pro V is a fit great, but there are so many balls on the market today, you might find a better alternative.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Same boa here, rarely pay for balls, ther's plety of hazards on my home course that are accesable for ball scavenging, mostl find Srixon Q-stars, (the balls which are given out with a paid round )

And ProV1s, I guess everyone loves them.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Titleist has done a good job getting a high number of pro golfers to use their golf balls so every hacker thinks it will help their game too.  Golfers tend to have more disposable income than others so it's likely more money than common sense.

Quote:

LOL Burner...

They've done such a good job at my course that people will play any old rock as long as it has a Titleist logo on it. I've seen people look down their nose at tour balls with a Callaway of Srixon logo, then tee up a found SoLo. Oh brother.

You're right, Titleist has most people convinced they are the only ball pro's use.

I've never tried a Pro V1.  The first two years I played golf, I used pre-hit NXT Tours but switched this year to pre-hit Callaway Tour I(s) and like them much better.  I also bought a few new boxes of the Callaway Hex Tour Black when they had them discounted down to $27.93 per dozen and can't imagine a Titleist plays any better than these for my skill level.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

They've done such a good job at my course that people will play any old rock as long as it has a Titleist logo on it. I've seen people look down their nose at tour balls with a Callaway of Srixon logo, then tee up a found SoLo. Oh brother.

Joe Paradiso

So, this is what I think I've gathered so far from this very constructive discussion... ProV1 and ProV1x are lovely and all, but I should be open to trying lots of different balls and seeing what works for me.

My original statement largely stems from the volume of balls I find... Like I said before, I find more ProVs in the woods than any other ball by far... And obviously I'd like to play one type of ball and stick with it...

I don't know if this is good evidence, but I shot my low round this year with a ProV1x. But that was probably just because I had a good day. I mean, I don't think I'm at the point in my golf career where I can perceive the difference between balls...

The mystery continues.

xFIXx

Try out all the ones you find, but if you're not paying for them I'd play the Pro V's if you find more of them than any other ball.

So, this is what I think I've gathered so far from this very constructive discussion... ProV1 and ProV1x are lovely and all, but I should be open to trying lots of different balls and seeing what works for me.

My original statement largely stems from the volume of balls I find... Like I said before, I find more ProVs in the woods than any other ball by far... And obviously I'd like to play one type of ball and stick with it...

I don't know if this is good evidence, but I shot my low round this year with a ProV1x. But that was probably just because I had a good day. I mean, I don't think I'm at the point in my golf career where I can perceive the difference between balls...

The mystery continues.

Joe Paradiso

The mystery continues.

This might take some of the mystery out of it, or on the other hand........................

http://www.preceptgolf.com/en/scienceballs/index.htm

Sigh.. a homework assignment... Thanks professor... :p

xFIXx

Originally Posted by burner

Quote:

The mystery continues.

This might take some of the mystery out of it, or on the other hand........................

http://www.preceptgolf.com/en/scienceballs/index.htm

LOL - how old is that link? I doubt very many forum posters have even seen a wound ball let alone played one.

Note: This thread is 4243 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!