IGNORED

2012 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just checked, it was a 25 foot putt that he conceded to JJ Henry in the final match to finish. He looked at the board, saw missing it would mean the US team would go down by a record amount so conceded it to save thrm the embarasment. Hopefully that shows you the sort of chap he is.

Condescending?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Condescending?

However you want to read it, mate. Fairly unbelievable way of seeing it but your call, I guess.

Pete Iveson

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[QUOTE name="sean_miller" url="/t/62332/2012-ryder-cup-discussion-thread/990#post_775064"] Condescending?[/QUOTE] However you want to read it, mate. Fairly unbelievable way of seeing it but your call, I guess.

I was kidding, but why do people know about it? Like Nicklaus' comment to Jacklin after conceding that putt in '69.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I was kidding, but why do people know about it? Like Nicklaus' comment to Jacklin after conceding that putt in '69.

Gotcha, sorry. I don't know about people but I know about it coz I video'd it and watched it back a few times. Watched the whole thing a few times in fact. McGinley get's his putt cozy up by the hole, JJ needs to sink his putt from 25 feet to draw, if he misses he looses and the US loose 19-9. JJ is lining up his shot and is looking over it and MGinners is looking at the score board. JJ looks like he's almost ready but MGinners suddenly walks over and concedes it, effectively, or at least potentially, throwing his singles match in front of his home crowd in Ireland. It's pretty clear on the vid. He's asked about it right afterwards and he doesn't give any explanation, just shrugs and changes the subject. Read into it what you will.

Pete Iveson

Nosevi: Not to quibble but personally I consider that to be against the spirit of the RC. It's nothing like conceding an easily makeable putt, obviously. What's the point in ever referring to such a "record" in that case, if it's so casually rendered meaningless? What about the reputation of the team (who was it?) that would almost certainly have lost the stigma? Daresay he meant well. Maybe it's sort of a Catholic thing, dare I suggest ... (semi-facetious) But you aren't giving much away - fair enough.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

Not to quibble but personally I consider that to be against the spirit of the RC. It's nothing like conceding an easily makeable putt, obviously. What's the point in ever referring to such a "record" in that case, if it's so casually rendered meaningless? What about the reputation of the team (who was it?) that would almost certainly have lost the stigma? Daresay he meant well. Maybe it's sort of a Catholic thing, dare I suggest ... (semi-facetious)

But you aren't giving much away - fair enough.

Actually, it was a while ago and I just remembered something. Just before JJ's putt a streaker ran onto the green - don't know how I forgot about that! Anyway, the streaker ran all over the green including round JJ. Whether he was flustered or just the streaker ran over where he was going to putt, I have no idea, but I think it effected JJ and maybe that had a bareing in Paul conceding the putt. It's true that it would have slightly effected the other team who had suffered the worst defeat but the K Club US team weren't totally let off - they just drew the worst defeat rather than had it on their own.

I guess you can see anything in more than one way but this was the last putt of the match, the US team had been well and truely beaten, and as per my thoughts on Phil's 'sporting gesture', I'm willing to give Paul McGinley the benefit of the doubt. I think when it comes to things like this it does make a difference what the guys motives are - in fact it makes all the difference in the world as far as I am concerned.

Pete Iveson

Very much agree. Me, I'm all for sporting gestures, which don't correlate inversely with will-to-win as some have suggested here. But more is not always better. Anyway, canny Celts are problematical for the U.S.

4-hybrid:

Very much agree. Me, I'm all for sporting gestures, which don't correlate inversely with will-to-win as some have suggested here. But more is not always better. Anyway, canny Celts are problematical for the U.S.

Funny, thought practically everyone over there had Irish heritage....., All joking aside, he's a good bloke and will do what he feels is the best course of action. I'd guess he will ask for advice from the senior players in particular, but will make the decisions. More to the point, they'll listen to him. Think Olli did fine but for my money Paul McGinley would/will make a better captain.

Pete Iveson

Originally Posted by Johnhw2

Please clarify your question or point, I am not sure I understand it. Thanks

Originally Posted by Johnhw2

When the captains picks were made, Hunter had more points than anyone chosen by DL3. He also has a match play winning record from 2-RC's played, 3 Prsidents cups played. He has a winning match play record inthe WGC match play event. He wasnt in good form for the past several months which is why he wasnt picked. Also his putting stats were way off during this off form period. That said, I contend he should hae been chosen based upon his match play record. Current form means something but if its all important then why have the points to auto matically qualify for RC be based upon the past two years not the past 3 months?

I actually thought his point was that Mahan--who didn't play in the Ryder cup--had as many points in Ryder Cup play last weekend as Captain's Pick Striker did.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I actually thought his point was that Mahan--who didn't play in the Ryder cup--had as many points in Ryder Cup play last weekend as Captain's Pick Striker did.

I don't know but do you think DL3 chose who he chose and left others out - Hunter in particular - because of the way he wanted to set the course up? What I'm getting at is that by setting the course up with absolutely no rough it was generally felt that DL3 wanted it to all come down to the putting. This was commented on by our commentators but also some US ones I've heard. Maybe Hunter's recent poor putting is the sole reason DL3 left him out. Had DL3 left the course alone maybe he wouldn't have been choosing his picks based on putting but rather on other qualities such as match play record.

Have to say, the way the course was 'set up' was not taken well over here at all. It was not that it was designed to give the US team an advantage, it's fine to tweak things a little, it was that it was designed to change the whole way the game was played. Essentially bash it, care not a jot if it hits the fairway, get it on the green and go from there. Jack Nicklaus said what he felt about it and it wasn't particularly complementary. Basically inside the rules, not in the spirit of the RC. Obviously it didn't actually work but how was it seen over there? Monty, when he was asked about set up for Celtic Manor, said to set it up like they do for any large tournament, ie make the greens as fast as you can but that's about it. Not Monty's biggest fan, must confess, but that seems like the right thing to do. Any thoughts?

Pete Iveson

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

His first 4 out Watson, Simpson, Bradley & Mickelson. These were his best players so far that week. I have noticed some mild debtate about whether the latter two should have played more! It might have been wise to switch the order.

Unless you mean sending hout his most experience guys first - I can't believe you mean this, as two of these guys Furyk & Stricker were in awful form.

I could see an argument for Tiger going out early to arrest momentum, but the downside would be he had played the front 9 poorly previously and then come alight on the back 9. Hardly a receipe for stopping the momentum.

One of the issue is his treatment of Dustin, I get the feeling he didn't trust him - played well but only picked for 4balls, and then hidden away in the middle of the singles.

The mixing up of the pairings is a very valid point - he seemed to decide that some players just weren't for foursomes - on most courses a valid argument - but not around that set up of Medinah.

That is exactly what I mean. Tiger and Phil should have been 1-2, followed by the stronger of the newbies Bradley and Dufner. I would have buried Stricker in the middle soemewhere and hope for a favorable pairing. 11th? You've got to be kidding me.

Bill M

Originally Posted by bplewis24

No Hunter was the only US player under consideration for this years team with a winning record..Stricker and Furyk's RC records are full of losses .... look it up either press articles about the election or on Wikkipedia

Funny, thought practically everyone over there had Irish heritage....., All joking aside, he's a good bloke and will do what he feels is the best course of action. I'd guess he will ask for advice from the senior players in particular, but will make the decisions. More to the point, they'll listen to him. Think Olli did fine but for my money Paul McGinley would/will make a better captain.

Only on St. Paddy's Day :-). Me, I'm the genuine article. Yes, but he must have a weakness we can exploit ...... ;-). Hmmm, maybe I really should spend some time on a Brit golf forum. Must admit I hadn't realized that Hunter had been putting poorly recently. Could have been a factor.

4-hybrid:

Only on St. Paddy's Day :-) Yes, but he must have a weakness we can exploit ...... ;-). Hmmm, maybe I really should spend some time on a Brit golf forum. Must admit I hadn't realized that Hunter had been putting poorly recently. Could be a factor.

If you really do want to know about Paul Mcginley I'll help you out, but just this once. Get the coffee on, it's 1 hour 25 minutes long. Ought to be able to pick something up you can use. [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v;=tTB73RSnS0k[/VIDEO]

Pete Iveson

How it should have gone down.

DLove (jumping out of his cart on 11 fairway): Hey, Phil...

Phil : Forget it, Trip. I know why you're out here and we're not playing this afternoon. We put everything into this round.

DLove: Really? You're kidding, right?

Phil: No way. We're burned out.

DLove: Keegan, what about you? You wanna play this afternoon?

Keegan: Wow ! Yeah, sure!

DLove: You wanna play with Tiger?

Keegan: Really? Absolutely!! Let me make this putt to close these suckers out! Dude, thanks!

Phil: Wait a minute. If he's playing, so am I. We're a team.

DLove: No, I respect what you already did today, Phil. You said you're burned out so Tiger and Keegan are up this afternoon.

Keegan: Mickelson in the morning and Tiger in the afternoon. Does it get any better?

Phil: F'in' traitor....

• Upvote 1

Bill M

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Gotcha, sorry. I don't know about people but I know about it coz I video'd it and watched it back a few times. Watched the whole thing a few times in fact. McGinley get's his putt cozy up by the hole, JJ needs to sink his putt from 25 feet to draw, if he misses he looses and the US loose 19-9. JJ is lining up his shot and is looking over it and MGinners is looking at the score board. JJ looks like he's almost ready but MGinners suddenly walks over and concedes it, effectively, or at least potentially, throwing his singles match in front of his home crowd in Ireland. It's pretty clear on the vid. He's asked about it right afterwards and he doesn't give any explanation, just shrugs and changes the subject. Read into it what you will.

From the Wiki on 2006 RC

After Europe had already won, McGinley conceded a 25-foot birdie putt to Henry on the 18th hole, halving their match. If Henry had putted and missed, Europe's final total would have been a record victory over the Americans. McGinley conceded the putt because an almost-naked spectator ran across the green and jumped into the lake as Henry was about to putt. This was reported on radio stations and in newspapers but not shown on television. McGinley's action has been described as an example of the "sportsmanship that has come to signify the Ryder Cup"

Originally Posted by malincanada

From the Wiki on 2006 RC

After Europe had already won, McGinley conceded a 25-foot birdie putt to Henry on the 18th hole, halving their match. If Henry had putted and missed, Europe's final total would have been a record victory over the Americans. McGinley conceded the putt because an almost-naked spectator ran across the green and jumped into the lake as Henry was about to putt. This was reported on radio stations and in newspapers but not shown on television. McGinley's action has been described as an example of the "sportsmanship that has come to signify the Ryder Cup"

The detail about the half-naked spectator is actually a big piece of information in that story.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Exactly how big .....

Someone please explain to me why Henry couldn't putt normally after the semi-naked person (male or female? - makes a difference) had been extricated from the lake and removed from the scene.  You couldn't make this stuff up

OK, maybe it's more credible after looking at the video I wouldn't know.

Phan:  great script!  This thread is definitely looking up.

4-hybrid:

Note: This thread is 4217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!