IGNORED

New to Golf, need advice on 2 new clubs

Note: This thread is 4215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I picked up golfing this past spring. My dad gave me his old iron set, Titleist DCI Black Oversize + (3-PW missing the 7 iron..) and I picked up a new perfect 60° Callaway Jaws X-Series wedge from play it again sports for dirt cheap. I got some lessons then purchased a Tylormade Burner Superfast driver (10.5°) and an Odyssey 2-Ball white ice putter so i could go out and play a few rounds.

So to Sum that up here is my current equipment

• Driver: TaylorMade Burner Superfast
  • Irons: Titleist DCI Black Oversize +
  • Wedge: 60° Callaway Jaws X-Series
  • Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball White Ice

I have about a $200-$300 budget right now, probably closer to the $200 mark, and am looking to get two new clubs.

I know for sure I want a 56° Titleist Vokey, I have used it and love it!

So I am torn between two clubs that I have my eye on.

• A 3, 4, or 5 Wood
  • Or a 3 Hybrid (18°)

I hit horrible with my 3 iron and not much better with my 4 iron. I am looking for something to fill the gap that hits fairly well between my 5 Iron and my driver pretty much. I am leaning more towards the 3 Hybrid mainly because my drives are inconsistent, and I often hit from the rough.

I know some of you will say just to get more lessons and become better with your clubs, but I am already at the point where I enjoy going out and playing a round. I don't mind getting more lessons, and I plan to get some more when the weather starts to get colder. There is a nice indoor virtual range in my town and multiple people have recommended them for lessons.

On a side note I love the 60° wedge. I have gotten pretty comfortable around the green with it! I practice with it at the putting green every time I visit the driving range.

Get the RBZ 3 wood, I have it myself and im a 19 handicapper. Its a fun club and very forgiving. check it out

In My  Nimbus Stand Bag:

Driver: :tmade: RBZ 9.5*

Hybrid: :callaway: XHot 18* Pro

Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0 5-PW, AW

Wedge: :callaway: Mack Daddy 2 Tour 58*

Putter: :odyssey: Protype Black #9

Ball: :callaway: SuperSoft

I'm partial to Cobra woods and hybrids, so I would say check out the Amp 4 wood and Amp 3 Hybrid.  That was the setup I was going to go with until I picked up my VR Pro Combo irons.  I have the Amp 4 wood and like it.  I hit my Amp driver on average 290, and my 4 wood 255.  My 3 iron comes in at 225 average so it's a nice spacing.  The 3 hybrid would hit about the same distance, but it would be a lot more forgiving.  Also, the Amp stuff is on sale for about $130 for either a hybrid or fairway wood.

Nike VRS Covert Tour Driver 8.5*

Nike VRS Covert Tour 3 Wood 14*

Nike VR Split Cavity Irons(3-PW)

Nike VR Forged 51* & Callaway Forged 55* & 59* Wedges

Ping Karsten Anser Putter 33in.

Nike 20xi-x golf ball

3 or 4 wood (fairway woods are tough to hit in general, so I trim mine down considerably - makes them exponentially easier to hit & the loss of distance is negligible for an average swing speed).     A 4h is a bit easier for most people to hit than a 3h, it'll fly higher & the distance lost compared to a 3h isn't that significant for us with slower swing speeds.

To be direct, I'd recommend a 4 wood (shortened) and a 4 hybrid to round out your bag.

Most importantly, buy used on eBay.    I just bought a $200 Adams 7 wood for $50 - NEW.     Can't tell you how much money I have saved buying either lightly used or new clubs on eBay - it's unbelievable the savings that can be had on eBay ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Goforth07

So I picked up golfing this past spring. My dad gave me his old iron set, Titleist DCI Black Oversize + (3-PW missing the 7 iron..) and I picked up a new perfect 60° Callaway Jaws X-Series wedge from play it again sports for dirt cheap. I got some lessons then purchased a Tylormade Burner Superfast driver (10.5°) and an Odyssey 2-Ball white ice putter so i could go out and play a few rounds.

So to Sum that up here is my current equipment

Driver: TaylorMade Burner Superfast

Irons: Titleist DCI Black Oversize +

Wedge: 60° Callaway Jaws X-Series

Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball White Ice

I have about a $200-$300 budget right now, probably closer to the $200 mark, and am looking to get two new clubs.

I know for sure I want a 56° Titleist Vokey, I have used it and love it!

So I am torn between two clubs that I have my eye on.

A 3, 4, or 5 Wood

Or a 3 Hybrid (18°)

I hit horrible with my 3 iron and not much better with my 4 iron. I am looking for something to fill the gap that hits fairly well between my 5 Iron and my driver pretty much. I am leaning more towards the 3 Hybrid mainly because my drives are inconsistent, and I often hit from the rough.

I know some of you will say just to get more lessons and become better with your clubs, but I am already at the point where I enjoy going out and playing a round. I don't mind getting more lessons, and I plan to get some more when the weather starts to get colder. There is a nice indoor virtual range in my town and multiple people have recommended them for lessons.

On a side note I love the 60° wedge. I have gotten pretty comfortable around the green with it! I practice with it at the putting green every time I visit the driving range.

Originally Posted by lumpuckeroo

Regardless of brand, I too would agree with a 3 hybrid.  More versatility and easy to hit.

I second the 3-hybrid or even a 4-hybrid. But I'd recommend a true 3-hybrid. An 18 degree is a 2-hybrid. The OP might consider a 21 or 24 degree. A 3-wood would be nice, but based on TST posts, a lot of new players struggle mightily with their 3-woods just like they do with drivers. I'd recommend he master the 3-H and his 3-wood shopping will be much easier.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Alright thanks!!

I'm going to the local golf shop to try out some clubs tomorrow, and I had pretty much decided on a Hybrid even before posting this thread. I just wanted some reinforcement!

I'll definitely look at the 21 or 24° hybrids instead of 18°

I really like my Adams a4r 3 and 4 hybrids. I purchased one on e-bay for 29 bucks.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Sounds like your gap is from driver to 5i, so you need at least 2 clubs. Maybe an 18* and 23* hybrid, or the higher lofted hybrid and a 3 or 4 wood. The fw wood is a great option off the tee on tighter holes or if you're just not feeling it with your driver that day.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have to agree with inthehole about a shorter shaft. You give up some distance but gain a lot of control. For a beginner that's often much more important.

I like a 3 wood for the rough since it has narrower sole. It doesn't have as much of a tendency to twist, and digs through the grass better. On the fairway it's a tossup for accuracy, although I get a lot more distance from the 3 wood. I have an Adams 2 hybrid which I love.

Note: This thread is 4215 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!