IGNORED

My Swing (bjoern2796)

bjoern2796
Note: This thread is 3951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 1 year and 7 months

My current handicap index or average score is: 15,7 (can't play)

My typical ball flight is: little draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: hook

Videos:

DL

FO

Rate my swing and give me a few tips. I've just broken my ankle. Yesterday in school sport we played volleyball and a guy jumped on my left foot and then it was broken. And now im sitting in the hospital and edited a few of my golfvideos I've captured 1 week ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a few questions:

Do you think, that the swing is too upright?

Do you think that my backswing is too wide? So should i cock my wrists earlier?

And a problem that i found is, that I've got a little bowed left wrist at the top. It should be square, so my clubface is parallel to my left forearm. And when I've fixed that problem my shaft will be more parallel in line with my stance line.

• 6 months later...

I had a slice a month ago. Then I played with a scratch player in my age and i realized he had a much stronger grip. Everytime I read about how to fix a slice i skipped the grip session, because i thought my grip would be good. But after i captured my swing, I saw an open clubface at the top and that my swing was much too steep and over the top. I decided to play the next tournament with an open stance and the ball back in my stance and strenghened my grip. My ballflight was a slight hook. But I was able to control it and played my best round of the year. My home course has its most trouble on the right, so that isn't the biggest problem to end up on the left side. After that I went back to an square alignment and used my strong grip. Now my slice was completely gone and I played nice draws to slight hooks. But the hooks come to often. And it's fairly hard for me to play a straight shot, so that the ball isn't turning from right to left. But I can play good golf with this swing. But I would play better, if I would flaten out my downswing. It's too steep. I already tried to flaten it out but I can't find a good drill to do that. So I ask you if you could give me good drills or tips how to flaten my downswing out. When I flatened it out, I would hold off my release a bit more automatically and my ball flight would be a bit straighter and my swing directen would go a bit more to the right and so my swing would be perfect for me.

Here's my actual draw swing (mostly hook):

As you can see my takeaway is bit inside, but that's not a big problem because i fix that in the downswing. But as you can see my downswing is too steep:

See how the shaft doesn't point to the ball halfway down? That's the mistake!

Because it should look exactly like this:

Please give me a few drills or tips to fix that. Thank you!

I would focus on two things.  Hit balls with a tee under your right arms pit and keep the tee in for the entire swing.  Will help the location of the right elbow and the handle from raising at such a fast rate.  Would also hit shots keeping the right foot banked longer.

Could do this drill

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had a slice a month ago. Then I played with a scratch player in my age and i realized he had a much stronger grip..... I decided to play the next tournament with an open stance and the ball back in my stance and strenghened my grip. My ballflight was a slight hook.... After that I went back to an square alignment and used my strong grip. Now my slice was completely gone and I played nice draws to slight hooks. But the hooks come to often. And it's fairly hard for me to play a straight shot... But I would play better, if I would flaten out my downswing. It's too steep. I already tried to flaten it out but I can't find a good drill to do that.

One of the pros has already spoken so I guess it is sort of cheeky for me to chime in, but what the heck. From what I read you had a fade/slice, then you strengthened your grip and now you have a draw/hook that you'd like to tame. Perhaps a bit more experimentation with the grip is in order? So far as the swing plane is concerned, I can only report what seems to have been my own experience. In my case, flattening my swing tends to induce MORE draw because with a flatter swing I tend to hit more inside to out rather than coming over the top which (for me) causes a fade/slice ball flight. In any case, I do not think you can divorce your down swing from the back swing. It seems to me that if you want a flatter downswing the easy way to get there is by starting with a flatter back swing. You might try sticking a tee into the hole at the back of the grip and making sure it points down at the ball as you sweep the club back, that should help with swinging down along the same plane. (Edit for clarity: The tee in the grip just helps you to see where the shaft in pointed.) Seems to have helped me.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Note: This thread is 3951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!