IGNORED

My Swing (tstrike34)

tstrike34
Note: This thread is 3414 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by colin007

actually, i dont know that you do need to cock the wrists more.  looks like plenty of wrist cock at the top in those pics you posted.  when you come down, feel like the pressure of your trigger finger (for you, left hand) is increasing as you reach the ball and that will help with casting.

you have a bit of an overswing.  your right arm appears to be bent (it should be straight) and the left arm looks over flexed (more than 90) - feel as tho you are pushing the palm of your left hand into your right thumb at the top, or that you are trying to keep the left arm straight as well, that will help with the overswing, and keep the club farther away from your head.

Hi Colin and Mike,

I do not have an update video to show you guys; however, I wanted to report back on progress.

I was sick this week so I had to really restrict my practice activities. Today was probably the best day I felt good in awhile so I put 75 balls in the net focusing on my form, maintain an L shape (to avoid overswinging), and tempo.

And then I went to the range in 22 MPH winds... Granted that winds were swirling, here are the highlights:

• I used to hit PW on average 100 - 105. I was hitting good, targeted, and lofty PW shots 120 (+- 5yrd assist from the wind) that landed on the green, and did not jump around. I loved that so much that I hit a 3/4 a bucket work. It felt that damn good... I did not hit every shot well... More like I hit about 60% on the green and within <=20ft. The ones I missed was related to: crappy grip, botched address, very bent right arm.
  • Since I cannot user my driver in my Chamber area, I hit the remain 1/4 and another bucket to work on driver. Thanks to the swing changes you guys suggested, I am now able to swing my driver COMPLETELY more ACCURATELY. One of the assistants at our club even said, "That was the most beautiful drive I have seen you made... E.V.E.R.".
  • Although I mentioned my PW distance, I went to the range with the thought of seeing more about my accuracy instead of how long I hit it. One thing I noticed, when I made a successful swing, I was always pointed at my target and staring at it (to include my hip with my left knee near my right knee).

Having a place to work on your form with some feedback has really raised my level of confidence.

Thank you guys, I believe I had my best day at the range in awhile.

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

That's great news! Try and get some video to corroborate, maybe you'll see what you're doing correctly and be able to keep doing those things.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by colin007

That's great news! Try and get some video to corroborate, maybe you'll see what you're doing correctly and be able to keep doing those things.

Hi Guys,

As you all probably read, I had a so so day on the course. Allow me to get to the highlights and my questions:

Highlights :

• 2 birdies - 2 par (all par 3s, except very short Par 4 3rd)
  • Struck a 22* Hybrid to 5ft on the 6th (Moody Gardens)
  • Struck a PW to 8ft on 4th
  • Struck a beautiful posing 8 Iron to 15ft on the approach to the 3rd

Lowlights :

• 10Mph Wind from the South, gusting 20mph crosswind S/SE
  • +8 in 3 Par 5s (I just do not have distance for my driver nor any average wood play to make the distance up)
  • I would strike a shot poorly (I just cannot seem to get the full rotation even with the adjustments made (but I was a bit rusty as I have not practiced in a week being sick)), then strike a shot cleanly (wondering I couldn't do that before)
  • I felt rushed all day due to two groups behind me.
  • Every successful shot had me posing, every stinky shot had: 1. HUGE divot and 2. Me there as if I never swung the club
  • My driver needs serious work... I gotta figure out how to video to show you guys.

I tired out due to the crowded and slow conditions... I hacked up 10th and 11th ... saw no chance to speed up, and just quit.

Now to my questions:

• On my irons, how slow should my takeaway be? I still feel like I have no control. I still feel tension in my arms. Should I just relax and bring the club back?
  • As you all saw previously (new video is on the way), I am trying to prevent rising during my backswing. Any ideas?
  • Impact Zone: I lost my picture, what should be a typical impact position. I was all over the map yesterday and cannot recreate my successful shots.

Thank you guys for your help, I still feel positive going forward.

Mike,

I just watched y'all video on getting my weight moving forward. What a great video!!!!

Ok .... I can now explain (somewhat) my good shots from my past round. When I had my weight shifted forward like in the video, I was able to complete my hip turn and complete swing with little effort (my fav shot yesterday was the PW to 8ft, it was beautiful and I was posing).

I was going to turn in some video tonight, but I am going to wait until tomorrow and work a bit more on that weight transfer drill you guys showed. My earlier post was in a period of frustration and being tired. I am still confused about the takeaway. It just doesn't seem like I am getting it. And my woods suck.

If y'all would be kind to point me to some reliable video, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Originally Posted by tstrike34

Mike,

I just watched y'all video on getting my weight moving forward. What a great video!!!!

Ok .... I can now explain (somewhat) my good shots from my past round. When I had my weight shifted forward like in the video, I was able to complete my hip turn and complete swing with little effort (my fav shot yesterday was the PW to 8ft, it was beautiful and I was posing).

I was going to turn in some video tonight, but I am going to wait until tomorrow and work a bit more on that weight transfer drill you guys showed. My earlier post was in a period of frustration and being tired. I am still confused about the takeaway. It just doesn't seem like I am getting it. And my woods suck.

If y'all would be kind to point me to some reliable video, I would sincerely appreciate it.

I'm currently working on some videos/drills on the takeaway, here are some good ones

http://thesandtrap.com/t/62804/steady-head-drill-and-how-painting-mental-pictures-can-help-your-swing

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks, I am reviewing the video now and will review again in the morning before my home session.

The videos I made yesterday before my round were highly regressive and a waste of you guys time. I wasted the session.

I will have more time (I will not be rushed) tomorrow and can really work on some mechanics. Will post videos tomorrow.

Since I cannot embed this video, I am providing a link for you guys to analyze and comment on.

http://www.swingacademy.com/videoplayer.aspx?v1=10974-1

Notes:

• Mike and Erik's drill regarding the Swing Key of Weight Forward really improved my point of contact. The drill also helped me recalibrate my hip motion as previously I was (in the part) committing to sliding forward towards the target versus engaging in a real weight shift. The drill also helped my groin muscles a bit (its easier) and gave me a boost in confidence regarding making solid contact with the ball.
  • The Swing Key of Flat Wrist is still troubling me as I am having problems getting into the slot. As a result, when I really got my Right wrist straight I dig into the shot (which means too steep) or I am leaving the blade open. I put a nice hole in my hitting mat. I will review the video a bit more intensely, there is something I am missing.
  • On my takeaway, I am breaking my left wrist to start the takeaway. That is much better, however if you note in the video link I provided, I am coming over the top (I cannot believe I actually caught it)!!! From my untrained eye, it appears that I get confused on what to do right between downswing and impact. Guys I am hearing my whoosh about at the 9 O'Clock position sometimes. I am trying to trust myself to complete the swing with just shoulder turn and hip rotation, but my arms just GOTTA be in the act.
  • I dunno if you all can tell, but take a real good look at my impact position. In today's session, I would get really good impact then drift off with open blade slices of insane proportions (even got the pinball effect today off a wicked slice).
  • Until I really get that enigma of transitioning from backswing to downswing, I am somewhat afraid of my full swing (at least in my Chamber). It feels like I am completely out of control with a full swing.

Today's session has me somewhat upbeat. I actually (I mean this seriously) had good contact when my technique was in order (I felt the toe, felt the ball explode from the iron, felt good weight shift). My head did not move a tad today.

Thanks for your help in advance. Please let me know if you are NOT able to access the video.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

It ask me to login or register to view your video.

Let me squeeze the video and youtube it.

DISCLAIMER: Music in the background MIGHT be Offensive or NSFW!!!

Notes:

• Mike and Erik's drill regarding the Swing Key of Weight Forward really improved my point of contact. The drill also helped me recalibrate my hip motion as previously I was (in the part) committing to sliding forward towards the target versus engaging in a real weight shift. The drill also helped my groin muscles a bit (its easier) and gave me a boost in confidence regarding making solid contact with the ball.
  • The Swing Key of Flat Wrist is still troubling me as I am having problems getting into the slot. As a result, when I really got my Right wrist straight I dig into the shot (which means too steep) or I am leaving the blade open. I put a nice hole in my hitting mat. I will review the video a bit more intensely, there is something I am missing.
  • On my takeaway, I am breaking my left wrist to start the takeaway. That is much better, however if you note in the video link I provided, I am coming over the top (I cannot believe I actually caught it)!!! From my untrained eye, it appears that I get confused on what to do right between downswing and impact. Guys I am hearing my whoosh about at the 9 O'Clock position sometimes. I am trying to trust myself to complete the swing with just shoulder turn and hip rotation, but my arms just GOTTA be in the act.
  • I dunno if you all can tell, but take a real good look at my impact position. In today's session, I would get really good impact then drift off with open blade slices of insane proportions (even got the pinball effect today off a wicked slice).
  • Until I really get that enigma of transitioning from backswing to downswing, I am somewhat afraid of my full swing (at least in my Chamber). It feels like I am completely out of control with a full swing.
  • Sorry about the missing head, it was really raining outside and that is the only place I can take really good video.

Today's session has me somewhat upbeat. I actually (I mean this seriously) had good contact when my technique was in order (I felt the toe, felt the ball explode from the iron, felt good weight shift). My head did not move a tad today.

Thanks for your help in advance. Please let me know if you are NOT able to access the video.

Originally Posted by tstrike34

More videos coming... Seems like I had the best of and Youtubed the worst of.

I can see the video now... Thanks for posting a Youtube video.  Unfortunately - looks like your camera was too close as I could only see your lower body.  Do you happen to have any videos where we can see your full back swing and follow through?

• Administrator

More weight forward... I believe this is just after impact, and you're probably about 50/50.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

More weight forward... I believe this is just after impact, and you're probably about 50/50.

Ok... I need to run your drill with more emphasis... I have a mini beach ball... I am going to use that as my squishie.

Let me say this: I feel I am making incremental progress... and I am liking it. :)

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I can see the video now... Thanks for posting a Youtube video.  Unfortunately - looks like your camera was too close as I could only see your lower body.  Do you happen to have any videos where we can see your full back swing and follow through?

Hi Beach,

I am going to move the camera back today (yesterday it rained something fierce).

Youtubing from here on out.

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I think your tempo might be a little too quick as well.

I tried the "Here's Johnny thing.." Perhaps I need to count to myself... Any tips or ideas on the mental aspect of tempo?

New videos... I am very much more pleased... One more video..

I think I am catching the idea.

Note: This thread is 3414 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!