Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
k-troop

Who needs a high-tech, fancy expensive putter?

12 posts in this topic

I picked this little beauty up last weekend at a used clubs store in downtown Honolulu.  My buddy was poring over the extensive selection of irons, and I found this on a rack in the back.  I hit 10 or so 15-footers on the carpet in the store to a quarter-sized mark at the bottom of one of the racks, so I figured what the heck.  Cost me $40 out the door.

I made 5 birdies on the back nine yesterday with this baby.  No 3-putts.  Only had one bad putt that I would blame on the putter, which was a badly toe-struck 20-footer that only went about 12 feet (with my much more forgiving mallet, it would have still gone 18 feet or so).

Not bad, eh?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do.

The Edel might also be the least expensive putter. Haven't bought another in 4 years.

Very timely k-troop. I just got one of these for $75. Mint condition, not a scratch on it, original leather grip is still tacky. It looks like it spent the last 30 yrs under nitrogen in a museum vault. I feels fantastic and I have a much better feel for distance than with my Anser 4, although once in a while the ball will skid a little if I don't press the hands..

The real question is... Did you anchor it to your belly to make those 5 birds on the back 9?

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Very timely k-troop. I just got one of these for $75. Mint condition, not a scratch on it, original leather grip is still tacky. It looks like it spent the last 30 yrs under nitrogen in a museum vault. I feels fantastic and I have a much better feel for distance than with my Anser 4, although once in a while the ball will skid a little if I don't press the hands..

Love this style.  I have a Lil' David 8802 that I want to refinish and bag.  Been having very good luck with it on the practice green.

Looks like my father-in-laws putter from the 1930s.  I had the head rechromed for my wife.  It has a lot of loft, maybe 8 to 10 degrees.

I still prefer an 8803 style putter.  No help, no forgiveness, no cavityback; all feel.  I look at some of the big ole mallet putters that some people use nowdays and I just shake my head.

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

Love this style.  I have a Lil' David 8802 that I want to refinish and bag.  Been having very good luck with it on the practice green.

+1. The 8802 is the progenitor of this style right? Would love to see a pic of the final product...

Ive got a couple Mizuno 8803 style putters.  One has a solid brass head and the other is just stainless steel.  Ive been trolling Ebay hoping to find a Mizuno Bettinardi BC7 in pristine condition.  A couple years ago I had a Ping J-Blade with a bronze head and is was really nice too.  Ive considered adding an Odyssey #8, Never Compromise Connissor Robusto or Rife Bimini to the bag as well but all of those are stainless steel and if Im going to replace my $20 Mizuno 8803, its going to have to be carbon steel, not stainless.  No sense spending $150+ on a new one when I already have one thats pretty much the same thing.