IGNORED

Unforced Errors

Mr.Buckethead
Note: This thread is 6133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A letter in the latest Golf Digest complained that golf announcers should not be using the term "unforced errors" in golf. His rationale was that since in golf there is no such thing as a forced error, then there cannot be an unforced error.

The letter writer then rhetorically asked someone to provide him with an example of a "forced error".

What do you think? Can you think of examples of "forced errors"?

I think that course layout could lend itself to created forced errors on the part of a player. Sucker pins, tough bunkers, narrow landing strip for drives, tee boxes pointing you just off target....these things could perhaps cause forced errors.

In my bag:

Driver: Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5*
Hybrids: Cleveland HiBore 19*
Nike Slingshot 23*Irons: Titleist 775 CBWedges: Titleist Vokey 54.10 Callaway X-Tour 58.12

• Administrator
A letter in the latest Golf Digest complained that golf announcers should not be using the term "unforced errors" in golf. His rationale was that since in golf there is no such thing as a forced error, then there cannot be an unforced error.

Those are still unforced errors. The golfer doesn't have to aim at them - they can aim at the middle of the greens, etc.

There's no such thing as a forced error in golf. I'm with the reader who wrote in.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At first I was going to agree that those elements would lean toward forced errors, but Erik made a good point and I agree. You always have an option to play to the safe spot or to lay up, so regardless of the course setup I'd have to agree there are no unforced errors.

The only thing I can even think of that might lean even close would be weather situations. Even then there are still options and various shots you can play.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

The closest thing to a forced error in most golf is when you let your buddies goad you into going for a sucker pin that you shouldn't have gone for, or for hitting driver when a 3-Iron will leave you an easy shot onto the green.

I guess in match play, if you absolutely must go for a pin / go for the green in 2 / etc to have a chance at winning or pushing the hole, it could be close to a forced error, but... there are 18 holes: if you do this on any individual hole, it isn't really required, and if you're in a situation where you must make a low percentage play to have a chance on all 18, your opponent has outplayed you anyway.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

What about a forced carry of 175 yards over water/marsh with OB on the left and trees on the right..... Anything short is in the drink, and left or right is trouble...would that qualify as a forced error?
You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

• Administrator
What about a forced carry of 175 yards over water/marsh with OB on the left and trees on the right..... Anything short is in the drink, and left or right is trouble...would that qualify as a forced error?

Nope: you're playing from the wrong tees if you can't carry the ball 175. Seriously. If you can't hit your longest club 175 yards in the air, and there's a hole that asks you to do that, you're playing the wrong tees. Nobody's forcing you to do so. Perhaps the course designer is a jerk (and for 17 other holes, you are on the correct tees), but that doesn't "force" you to make an error. It doesn't "force" you to hit a slice, top the ball, pull it OB, or do anything else dumb.

There are no forced errors in golf. None. I dare anyone to come up with one that's valid. It's the whole beauty of the sport - the only opponent is yourself, truly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sounds like a pretty nice par-3!

Go here http://big-cats.com/#end to see one I played last fall. Footnote Woops -- I see the link doesn't actually take you to the hole. In the highly unlikely event you are interested, click on the Lion's Head for the Lion's Paw Course, then click on #3 to see the hole.

The only forced errors in golf are the ones we inflict upon ourselves.... and by definition that makes them unforced as they are not put upon us by any actions but our own.

I had never thought of it before, but that IS a pretty dumb thing for a golf commentator to say...

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

If you need to go for a pin you wouldn't normally go for in match play then play a bad shot then that is a forced error. Your opponent has made you make this error by outplaying you.

If a bird takes a crap on your head mid swing I think that is a forced error.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

Note: This thread is 6133 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!