IGNORED

Hunter Mahan and Woody Austin not playing in the Open???!!!

BASHERBAKER69
Note: This thread is 6132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hi

Press reports indicate that Woody Austin is not playing in this years Open as...'he wouldn't know how to play that kind of golf'...!!??

What a load of rubbish, id like to know the real reason why he isn't playing..Hunter Mahan isnt playing either-this is a bit feeble really in my opinion. European players flock to the US open every year and are pleased just to get an invitation, and it would be nice if certain American players returned the favour. Perhaps they would just prefer to stay in their bubble on the US tour. If the likes of Tiger and Phil and even JD with all his baggage can make it lesser mortals should be willing to make the trip.

what do you guys think?

bb69

hi

Do you remember the last time the British Open was at this course? The players do.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I'm not surprised. I don't think it's simply because of the course this year. Every year there seems to be a few Americans who do not make the trip over. Didn't Scott Hoch skip the British quite a bit? I remember a couple years ago Fred Funk staying here to try and earn more Ryder Cup points. Perhaps the Fed Ex cup points play a factor. I know they are having the US Bank Championship in Milwaukee opposite the British this year and know Corey Pavin will defend rather than travel overseas. Woody has played Milwaukee every year since 1995, although I don't know if he's had a ton of success. I can't imagine getting into the field of a major championship and not going but that's what they have chosen. Mahan, if he qualified, I don't understand why he wouldn't go. He's a young guy who seems to be playing well and beginning to reach his potential. Who knows, he could contend the way he's played recently and I would think at his age the experience would be important.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

hi

Does

Hunter Mahan and Woody Austin not playing in the Open???!!! mean you're asking a question or making a statement? I've been looking on the internet and have been unable to find anything that says Mahan is not playing in the Open and have been unable to find anything that says Austin has even qualified for the Open, much less find a statement Austin isn't going to play in the Open. Of course, I'm not the greatest web surfer in history since whenever it was that Al Gore invented the internet.

Does

Hmmm... I just assumed the guy knew what he was talking about. I see where Austin isn't going (and I recall Pavin saying he was going to defend in Milwaukee) but after your post I searched it myself and from this article it sure looks like Mahan is preparing to go, and looking forward to it.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf...ie-996083.html

Hi guys

And it certainly is a valid point. However, I'd be more concerned if a guy like Mahan weren't going than I am about Woody Austin. Woody is, well, Woody. He's a guy in his mid 40's, tempermental, and we all know what happens when Woody gets frusterated. We're probably better off with him staying home

• Administrator
Hi guys

Independent contractors. What's the point in going if you don't think you have a chance to play well?

Nobody's worth their "metal," btw.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In terms of dollars, those two probably have a far greater EV playing in the tournament in Milwaukee than they do in the Open. So unless they want to go just to say they went, it would probably be far better for their pocketbooks to play in the other tourney.

Funk was mentioned as not going over to play in Milwaukee so he could get more points. The FedEx cup is a huge payout and these guys are smart if they aren't long hitters and there isn't the greatest reward for straight at Carnoustie. Too many good shots get bounced into the rough. For a short hitter like Funk, that takes away his advantage if he keeps hitting the fairway and it doesn't end up there.

I've played there though (not under Open conditions) and it is a beast, but it's playable. My two bad holes that I doubled were because of a bad drive.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

The british has always been the one tournament that players in the US tend to skip. Remember Curtis Strange used to skip the british as did some others back in the 90s. It was due to the cost and how tiring it was. However with money as big as it is now a days im suprised anybody would skip a major. You definently cant win if you dont play.
Driver FT-3 9deg w/ Aldila NV 65-S
3wood Rescue 3 15deg
Irons R7 TP w/ Flighted Rifle 6.5
Wedges 48deg TA900, 53deg TA588, 58deg TA900
Putter 2 ball center shaftedBall NXT Tour

Tied for the best finish by an American... I think Hunter is pretty happy that he made the journey.

Absolutely. He played great and is starting to have a nice season. Of course he was never

not going.

Note: This thread is 6132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!