IGNORED

Allen Iverson - D-Leagues?

Beachcomber
Note: This thread is 4100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think this is a pretty interesting story and wanted to hear what you guys think...  Allen Iverson hasn't played in the NBA for a few years.  And he has expressed interest into signing with an NBA team, but hasn't been given a shot at the league.  But recently the Dallas Mavericks offered him a shot on their D-League team which he turned down.

Do you think he should be given an opportunity to workout and play in the NBA again?  Or should he have to work his way through the D-League?  I'll say this... I watched Allen Iverson drop 51pts on the Lakers back in 2007.  He had 49pts in the first three quarters - and then the Lakers basically double and triple teamed him to shut him down in the 4th.  The dude can ball.  He was amazing...

Well here is the article from the Washington post...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2013/01/29/allen-iverson-turns-down-d-league/

As badly as he’d like another shot at playing in the NBA, Allen Iverson will not try to make his comeback by playing in the NBA Development League.

He announced on Twitter that he was turning down an offer from the Dallas Mavericks’ D-League team, which is co-owned by Mavericks president Donnie Nelson. “I thank Donnie and Dallas for the consideration,” Iverson said today via Twitter, “and while I think the D-League is a great opportunity, it is not the route for me.”

While I don't always like what Stephan A. has to say... I kind of agree with him on this.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

While I don't always like what Stephan A. has to say... I kind of agree with him on this.

You're crazy.  I love this guy ... he could talk me into anything.  Our all-time favorite here at work (we listen to it every couple of months or so) ...

I think if AI could still play in the NBA, someone would have signed him by now. He's a four-time scoring champ, he's exciting too watch, and he would be cheap. Toronto or Charlotte or someone would have signed him. Also, the beginning of that First Take clip in the OP with Stephen A. is the epitome of the parody of him that SNL did last year. :-D

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

It is not a matter of can he play yes he can still pplay but his reputation has killed him. No one wants him as a team mate or in there locker room. Read to many stories he is a cancer in the locker room and is not someone you want around your young stars. Here is a classic case of a Million dollar talent and a 10 cent brain. My brother the cop use to tell me this. You can take the rat out of the hood but you can never take the hood out of the rat.

Originally Posted by slufoot7

It is not a matter of can he play yes he can still pplay but his reputation has killed him. No one wants him as a team mate or in there locker room. Read to many stories he is a cancer in the locker room and is not someone you want around your young stars. Here is a classic case of a Million dollar talent and a 10 cent brain. My brother the cop use to tell me this. You can take the rat out of the hood but you can never take the hood out of the rat.

Seriously?  Have you seen or listened to some of the guys who are playing in the NBA?  Stern implemented the dress code policy in an attempt to try and clean up the image of the NBA.  But throwing these cats in suits and ties isn't going to fool anyone.

Iverson is a dime a dozen in terms of flair and attitude.  The difference is he can ball better than most.  And I'm surprised a team like the Pacers or Cavs don't give him a league min contract to see what he can do.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-minimum-salaries/

Trust me - a guy like Dan Gilbert could use some positive PR... And bringing a guy like Iverson back, giving him a shot could help him.  Because there are a lot of players who don't want to play for Dan based on what he said about LBJ.

I think it's combination of his reputation and that a lot of teams aren't looking for a player at the end of his career but wants to take 60 shots a game.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by clubchamp

I think it's combination of his reputation and that a lot of teams aren't looking for a player at the end of his career but wants to take 60 shots a game.

I think it's a combination of his age and how old he is ... about 50/50, mayyyybe 60/40. ;)

If a team thought he could help them win, I believe despite his reputation, they'd take a chance on him.

If a team thought he could help them win, I believe despite his reputation, they'd take a chance on him.

This.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I think it's a combination of his age and how old he is ... about 50/50, mayyyybe 60/40. ;)

It's not just an issue of age. It's a matter of being able to use his speed as he once did, as well as the fact that he's a cancer to the locker room. You want to build a team around veterans, or bring in an experienced player to help make a playoff run, great. But you don't pick a guy like Iverson to do that. He'd be more of a distraction than anything. It's not even a matter of money, more a matter of visibility. Even if you pay him the minimum salary he's still getting interviews and attention.

I don't think there'd be a chance some owner would want to get him to sell some tickets, or just because they're stupid, but he's not worth the risk, especially since they have yet to see proof he can still play. You just don't add a veteran who has no leadership skills unless you're making him the complement to a guy like Lebron or Kobe who would command even AI's respect. Hence why a guy like Ray Lewis or Peyton Manning can play until they're 100 where guys like Iverson have a much shorter expiration date; they make the guys around them better while guys like AI need to carry the team talent wise in order to do anything (and I don't think he can anymore).

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Note: This thread is 4100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!