IGNORED

Where to play in Orlando???

Note: This thread is 3500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know what it costs to play, but I imagine something like a quadrillion dollars. But I stayed at The Villas at Grand Cypress and I had a lesson there. I did not play a round, as we were there for theme parks.. but that course looked GORGEOUS. I still think about it. I need to get there and play.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know what it costs to play, but I imagine something like a quadrillion dollars. But I stayed at The Villas at Grand Cypress and I had a lesson there. I did not play a round, as we were there for theme parks.. but that course looked GORGEOUS. I still think about it. I need to get there and play.

You can get some good deals at Grand Cypress through Golf Now. They have 3 9's and last time I played there, maybe 4 months ago, we paid $45 for unlimited golf on a Friday. Decent track for a resort style course and condition is generally good.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

You can get some good deals at Grand Cypress through Golf Now. They have 3 9's and last time I played there, maybe 4 months ago, we paid $45 for unlimited golf on a Friday. Decent track for a resort style course and condition is generally good.

Another vote for Grand Cypress.  Aside from the 3 nines, another 18-hole links style course is available on the property.  Right smack in the middle of everything, Grand Cypress could just as well be a million miles away from Disney due to great planning.  Very quiet, very golf-oriented.

What I like best about Grand Cypress is the practice facilities.  I believe they have 2 separate ranges, (unlimited balls available, tees, towels, water, etc and first class!) and probably a dozen or so practice greens strewn between courses/first tees.  Unlimited practice opportunities there.  Lastly, the also have a 3-hole practice course that you can play around to work on your game.  Par-5 followed by 4 and 3-par holes.  Another great practice oppty.

All courses are Jack Nicklaus design and fun to play.  I especially like the links-style 18 hole course.  The 2nd and 3rd nines are very nice as well.  Courses are always in top-notch shape, service at the resort (both golf and amenities) is also 1st rate.

dave

• Upvote 1

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Originally Posted by dave s

Another vote for Grand Cypress.  Aside from the 3 nines, another 18-hole links style course is available on the property.  Right smack in the middle of everything, Grand Cypress could just as well be a million miles away from Disney due to great planning.  Very quiet, very golf-oriented.

What I like best about Grand Cypress is the practice facilities.  I believe they have 2 separate ranges, (unlimited balls available, tees, towels, water, etc and first class!) and probably a dozen or so practice greens strewn between courses/first tees.  Unlimited practice opportunities there.  Lastly, the also have a 3-hole practice course that you can play around to work on your game.  Par-5 followed by 4 and 3-par holes.  Another great practice oppty.

All courses are Jack Nicklaus design and fun to play.  I especially like the links-style 18 hole course.  The 2nd and 3rd nines are very nice as well.  Courses are always in top-notch shape, service at the resort (both golf and amenities) is also 1st rate.

dave

I highly recommend the New Course with it's replica 1st and 18th holes fashioned after the Old Course. And the practice facility is wonderful.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by willk24

Grand Cypress sounds like a good place to spend a day. The pictures of the course on the website look amazing.

One other must play is Orange County National.

2 courses, Panther Lakes and Crooked Cat.  Panther is generally considered the better of the two, but don't necessarily believe it.  They're BOTH great tracks.   Home every other year to the final round of the PGA Tour Q-school.  One of the best practice facilities anywhere and both courses are always in great shape.  They'll treat you well too.

You won't find them on Golf Now, but don't let that deter you.

In David's bag....

Originally Posted by David in FL

Before playing any of these, please check for current course conditions. Of the 6 recommended here, I'd only recommend one, Bella Colina, due to poor condition.

Hi David,

Thanks a lot on your info so far. I go to the Orlando area myself once or twice a year and wonder how you would rate these courses I played. It will help me reference, cause to me they were on the 'most likely to play again list'. I am not looking into courses that will cost me more then 60 dollar including cart (on golfnow bargains).

1. Celebration

2. Magnolia (Disney course)

3. Deer island

4. Diamondback

5. World of woods

6. Pine Barrens (world of woods)

Will be back in october

Sorry, had to correct.

Originally Posted by MacDutch

Hi David,

Thanks a lot on your info so far. I go to the Orlando area myself once or twice a year and wonder how you would rate these courses I played. It will help me reference, cause to me they were on the 'most likely to play again list'. I am not looking into courses that will cost me more then 60 dollar including cart (on golfnow bargains).

1. Celebration

3. Deer island

4. Diamondback

5. Ridgewood Lakes

Will be back in october

Originally Posted by MacDutch

Hi David,

1. Celebration

3. Deer island

4. Diamondback

5. Ridgewood Lakes

Will be back in october

1. Celebration:  Basic resort style course.  Always in good condition and a fun, if not overly imaginative layout.  Worth the time if you can get a good price through Golf Now.  I wouldn't pay the $100+ they want for non-residents now though.

2. Magnolia (Disney course):  What can I say, it's Disney.  Always in great shape and can play as long and hard as you like depending on the tees.  Again, tends to be pricey.  Consider the Palm course as an alternative if price and times aren't what you're looking for on the Magnolia.  They're sister courses sharing the same clubhouse and practice areas.  You can sometimes find one or the other on Golf Now but not always both.  Worth comparing the two.

3. Deer island:  Played 4 months ago and swore I'd never go back.  Horrible condition and BUGGY......even for FL.

4. Diamondback:  Never played.

5. Ridgewood Lakes:  Never played.

6. Pine Barrens (world of woods):  Outstanding.  Both courses at World of Woods are first rate and worth the drive and cost.  Times and discounts are available on Golf Now.

In David's bag....

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I highly recommend the New Course with it's replica 1st and 18th holes fashioned after the Old Course. And the practice facility is wonderful.

Another vote for the New Course. It's an amazingly fun course and this is coming from someone who is not a huge fan of Jack Nicklaus' courses for the most part.

Matt

Played all three at Ginn Reunion and also played the Old Course twice last summer as well. Was alot easier the second time around when we had an idea of where the fairways were...I   would recommend the Old Course anyday.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I have 6 tee times booked for next week. 36 hole days at both Orange County National & Grand Cypress and rounds at Shingle Creek and Bay Hill. Now I need some recommendations for good eats! Any places you guys recommend to get dinner and/or drinks? Thanks!

Price and genre?

In David's bag....

Not a picky eater so maybe something mid-tier or a bit nicer. Any good bars with local beers? Looking to avoid tourist traps if I can.

Disney has some pretty good deals especially if you can wait till after 10 am. I have played them all except Magnolia. the conditions are usually pristine. THey have have amazingly low traffic. The only down side is some times you can paired up with some real beginners It might be worth asking the pro shop if they can avoid that. Once I played with group that had a kid who never played golf before. I do not know what he was thinking starting off on a high end course like that. I think you might find rates below $60 by starting after 10 am.

Note: This thread is 3500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!