IGNORED

My Swing (cipher)

cipher
Note: This thread is 867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Made it to an indoor range this weekend, but could only get DTL shots.  Just working on better posture and getting into to a better position at the top on this one.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Saw a video Mike did on wrist hinge, and also from the Comments that BenGolf19 mentioned I have been also working on a little more vertical wrist hinge in my swing.  I have a tendency to take the club back below the plane.  Here is a slow practice back swing trying to get that feeling.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

The things we have to do during a Wisconsin winter. Working on a little pitching and putting.

Nate

For the pitching, see how it feels to turn the left foot out 20 degrees more and keep the left knee flexed a little longer into the followthrough.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Will do, thanks Mike!

Nate

cipher jr. taking a cut here. Just turned 5 yesterday.  He insisted in hitting off the tee.  Had to laugh on this first one.  Not only does he look back at me in his back swing he also manages to say something as well and still hit the ball.  He might be missing a few keys though... It's OK, I just want him to have fun for now.  He likes swinging the club, but would much rather go mini-golfing.  I am not really going to try to give him any tips until later if he shows some real interest.  I just let him have fun at it right now.  After all, that is what it is supposed to be about right?

On this next one he does a little better but I think "might" be still missing a few keys.  Oh well we had fun, until he swung so hard that he could not hold onto the club and threw it thirty yards behind him.

Nate

Your son's swing is better than mine!!! And I'm not even joking.

I messed up a tee shot today because my shadow was in front of me so I decided it would be a good idea to watch my shadow the entire swing instead of looking at the ball to "fix" something I'm working on.

• Upvote 1

Ha ha, your swing is not bad for what you have to deal with in it. Another reason I have not tried to show my son anything yet is that he can develop his own feel for the game as well.

Nate

Is it just me or does your club have a crazy amount of flex? :) Is that normal? Surely, that much flex makes it hard to consistently strike the ball? (Obviously I am not an expert - just curious :) )

Nicklaus NPS-1 Irons 4-PW

Titleist Vokey SM4 Wedges 54' and 58' 

Ping G5i B60  Putter

Originally Posted by cipher

cipher jr. taking a cut here. Just turned 5 yesterday.  He insisted in hitting off the tee.  Had to laugh on this first one.  Not only does he look back at me in his back swing he also manages to say something as well and still hit the ball.  He might be missing a few keys though...  It's OK, I just want him to have fun for now.  He likes swinging the club, but would much rather go mini-golfing.  I am not really going to try to give him any tips until later if he shows some real interest.  I just let him have fun at it right now.  After all, that is what it is supposed to be about right?

On this next one he does a little better but I think "might" be still missing a few keys.  Oh well we had fun, until he swung so hard that he could not hold onto the club and threw it thirty yards behind him.

Fun to watch, nice looking move.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Is it just me or does your club have a crazy amount of flex? :) Is that normal? Surely, that much flex makes it hard to consistently strike the ball? (Obviously I am not an expert - just curious :) )

Yeah but I think my iPhone might be playing tricks on us. But there is way too much forward flex before it hits the ball, which means I would be losing power. Again I am not sure if my phone just is just to slow on FPS or that is the reality of my swing. Maybe someone who knows more can tell us?

Nate

Nathan, to add to what Mike and others noted, you might experiment with wrist hinge as you begin your swing. When the club is parallel to the ground on the backswing around 0:12, the clubhead is behind your hands. If you hinge gradually, you'll find that the club doesn't get inside too much at the start. Mike posted a recent video on that issue.

I think the posture correction that was suggested will help the relatively flat shoulder turn. You might also feel as if you're tilting slightly left to ensure you don't go flat during the backswing.

You're on the verge of collapsing towards the top but the club is still parallel. You might feel as if the club is a tad further away from your right ear - that might shorten the swing slightly with a straighter left arm

Coming down through the ball, you might want to have a feeling of squeezing the elbows so you don't feel the need to turn over the wrists too soon - it comes slightly quick with your swing.

Good work.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Nathan, to add to what Mike and others noted, you might experiment with wrist hinge as you begin your swing. When the club is parallel to the ground on the backswing around 0:12, the clubhead is behind your hands. If you hinge gradually, you'll find that the club doesn't get inside too much at the start. Mike posted a recent video on that issue. I think the posture correction that was suggested will help the relatively flat shoulder turn. You might also feel as if you're tilting slightly left to ensure you don't go flat during the backswing. You're on the verge of collapsing towards the top but the club is still parallel. You might feel as if the club is a tad further away from your right ear - that might shorten the swing slightly with a straighter left arm Coming down through the ball, you might want to have a feeling of squeezing the elbows so you don't feel the need to turn over the wrists too soon - it comes slightly quick with your swing. Good work.

Thanks, yeah I have been working on a earlier hinge so at A2, I think when the club is parallel to the ground, the club head is outside my hands and not behind my body. I will upload a video next week when I go to a range. I know I throw the club early so I will work on the elbow feeling as well, thanks for that. I am signing back up for evolvr next week in good faith that the ranges here will be opening up soon. I am sure we will get some of these things figured out pretty quickly.

Nate

Thanks, yeah I have been working on a earlier hinge so at A2, I think when the club is parallel to the ground, the club head is outside my hands and not behind my body. I will upload a video next week when I go to a range. I know I throw the club early so I will work on the elbow feeling as well, thanks for that. I am signing back up for evolvr next week in good faith that the ranges here will be opening up soon. I am sure we will get some of these things figured out pretty quickly.

I should have said "at the top feel as if your hands are further away from you right ear. I have a similar issue. I am a lefty who plays as a righty and my right wrist tends to collapse as it is not accustomed to being "used." I need to feel as if my right wrist is holding the club up in the air - it's a feeling.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Yeah but I think my iPhone might be playing tricks on us. But there is way too much forward flex before it hits the ball, which means I would be losing power. Again I am not sure if my phone just is just to slow on FPS or that is the reality of my swing. Maybe someone who knows more can tell us?

It's to do with the way that the camera reads the image from the sensor. Lots of good info in this thread:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/34727/shaft-flex-as-seen-on-camera-photos-or-video-rolling-shutter-illusion

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I should have said "at the top feel as if your hands are further away from you right ear. I have a similar issue. I am a lefty who plays as a righty and my right wrist tends to collapse as it is not accustomed to being "used." I need to feel as if my right wrist is holding the club up in the air - it's a feeling.

OK makes sense.

Originally Posted by Mordan

It's to do with the way that the camera reads the image from the sensor. Lots of good info in this thread:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/34727/shaft-flex-as-seen-on-camera-photos-or-video-rolling-shutter-illusion

I kind of figured it was an illusion of the camera.  Thanks for sharing.

Nate

Some improvements, not as bad as I thought.  Completely lapsed on the right hand grip and weakened that again.  In a better posistion at A2 with the club parallel to the ground.  It is not wrapped behind me anyway. I was mainly just trying to improve posture and get the club into a little better (not so behind me) position at the top, which I did a little bit but it still needs much work.  Struggle getting my right elbow down and in fast enough.  Just can't get my body to do it.  So frustrating.  The Evo boys will help me with that I am sure.  I am uploading these vids to them today to see where I should go from here.  Starting back up with evolvr today.

Nate

In trying to get my right hand stronger I am considering switching to the Vardon grip from interlocking.  I think I have smaller hands...tip of middle finger to base of palm is 7".  For some reason I find it easier for me to have a stronger right hand and more unified hands overall in pressure point #1.  The problem is that I really don't like how the Vardon grip feels with a glove.  I am not sure I want to go down that road of no glove blisters yet our not.   Does anyone who uses the Vardon grip find no glove to feel better than with one?  If I were to switch to no glove would I be better to put a softer mid size grip on my club?

Nate

Note: This thread is 867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!