IGNORED

My Swing (cipher)

cipher
Note: This thread is 975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I hate the hooks, if there is one thing that makes me want to quit, is when I get the flipping hooks.

Ultimately I just need to find a way to get the hips and shoulders more open at impact.

As you know, if they're pull-hooks or even straight-hooks, just point the face more right at address.

Not so far right you start hitting push-fades, of course… :D

But yes, you just need to be less closed at impact. Same stuff as last fall. It's better though, don't kid yourself. It's better, and you've had mostly a winter, so I think you're doing fine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here you go @Jakester23 I am back on earth.  I deserve this after getting too excited yesterday.  Hit a few good ones, but also a bunch of ****ing hooks, FML.

I hate the hooks, if there is one thing that makes me want to quit, is when I get the flipping hooks.

Ultimately I just need to find a way to get the hips and shoulders more open at impact.

Well that still looks pretty good. So now I believe you that the ball goes good on off center hits. :-P Do you have that issue with any other club or is it just the driver?

As you know, if they're pull-hooks or even straight-hooks, just point the face more right at address.

Not so far right you start hitting push-fades, of course… :D

But yes, you just need to be less closed at impact. Same stuff as last fall. It's better though, don't kid yourself. It's better, and you've had mostly a winter, so I think you're doing fine.

I would kill for push fade at this time.  Just little ones. ;)  It will come around.

Well that still looks pretty good. So now I believe you that the ball goes good on off center hits.  Do you have that issue with any other club or is it just the driver?

As far as the hooks? I have it with the driver and the 4w at the moment.  A big part of it  could be that I am having a hard time finding my grip and holding the face open. I can go to a weaker right hand grip (see below) and don't have so many issues.  The fear is that when I improve the hips and shoulders more that I will start to fade it too much.  For now though I may play with a more Hogan like right hand grip like this to keep from hooking the ball on the course.  I can more comfortably hold the face open with this grip as well.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

I kinda want to take I picture of mine I think Im weak than the picture above.  Are you getting a little draw with your irons?

I kinda want to take I picture of mine I think Im weak than the picture above.  Are you getting a little draw with your irons?

Sometimes a small little draw sometimes a little stronger.

Nate

• Administrator
As far as the hooks? I have it with the driver and the 4w at the moment.  A big part of it  could be that I am having a hard time finding my grip and holding the face open.

Just point it more right at setup. I'm not saying do it dynamically. The grip is round. You can grip it with the face pointing anywhere. Especially the driver since you don't even need to sole it.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just point it more right at setup. I'm not saying do it dynamically. The grip is round. You can grip it with the face pointing anywhere. Especially the driver since you don't even need to sole it.

I will keep at it.  I have some sort of mental block with this.  I am working on it though.

Nate

• Administrator

I will keep at it.  I have some sort of mental block with this.  I am working on it though.

Try this drill.

1. Grip the club normally but with the face 30° right.

2. Hit about 15 balls.

3. Film the last one and look at your hips and torso at A7.

"Path is instinctual" we like to say and I think that you'll "swing left" in an attempt to start the ball farther left. You'll probably do so with your hips.

If it doesn't work, abandon and just go back to pointing the face 5° right and making your normal swings. It's only 15 balls - it can't hurt you, and it may very well help.

"Path is instinctual."
For example, for someone who can't swing out to the right, we sometimes put them in a super-strong grip, let the clubface set up closed at setup, and tell them to "push" the ball.
They can know to their core that the "face" determines the starting direction, but I virtually guarantee they're gonna start swinging out more to the right too.
So, this drill is kind of like the opposite of that. :)

Try this drill.

2. Hit about 15 balls.

"Path is instinctual" we like to say and I think that you'll "swing left" in an attempt to start the ball farther left. You'll probably do so with your hips.

If it doesn't work, abandon and just go back to pointing the face 5° right and making your normal swings. It's only 15 balls - it can't hurt you, and it may very well help.

"Path is instinctual."

For example, for someone who can't swing out to the right, we sometimes put them in a super-strong grip, let the clubface set up closed at setup, and tell them to "push" the ball.

They can know to their core that the "face" determines the starting direction, but I virtually guarantee they're gonna start swinging out more to the right too.

Thanks, I will try that!

Nate

Try this drill.

2. Hit about 15 balls.

"Path is instinctual."

I did the drill(the best I could) with great results. Not one hook with the driver. It feels like I am holding the clubface at least 30 degrees open.  I think in reality it is much less. I obviously have a tendency to feel that the club is much more open than it actually is.  I can't believe that I was getting tight little fades holding the club face like this.  It really does not seem possible.  As usual, thank you Erik!

Better:

Just noticed I am doing my Arnie impression here. ;)

Nate

Quote:

I did the drill(the best I could) with great results. Not one hook with the driver. It feels like I am holding the clubface at least 30 degrees open.  I think in reality it is much less. I obviously have a tendency to feel that the club is much more open than it actually is.  I can't believe that I was getting tight little fades holding the club face like this.  It really does not seem possible.  As usual, thank you Erik!

That is pretty neat.  I have to turn my club the other direction, and I still have trouble leaving the face open.  For the life of me, I can't seem to start the ball left of center.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

That is pretty neat.  I have to turn my club the other direction, and I still have trouble leaving the face open.  For the life of me, I can't seem to start the ball left of center.

Yeah it is very strange feeling for sure.  I am playing Saturday morning and plan on playing this way.  What is amazing is I did not slice one ball doing this.

Nate

That's a very cool picture I'm going to try that. I've been having problems with pull draws with my driver. How far right of your target would you say your ball starts?

That's a very cool picture I'm going to try that. I've been having problems with pull draws with my driver. How far right of your target would you say your ball starts?

Because I am obviously shutting the face down in the downswing and that is one of my major flaws, I was starting the ball with the face this open on my target line for the most part. I literally feel like I am going to slice the ball holding the club like this.

Nate

[quote name="Jakester23" url="/t/65114/my-swing-cipher/480#post_974928"]That's a very cool picture I'm going to try that. I've been having problems with pull draws with my driver. How far right of your target would you say your ball starts?

Because I am obviously shutting the face down in the downswing and that is one of my major flaws, I was starting the ball with the face this open on my target line for the most part. I literally feel like I am going to slice the ball holding the club like this.[/quote] I will trade you for a bit of your face shutting. I have plenty of face opening to spare.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

So are you getting a draw still? When you hold your club square you were hitting a pull draw correct?

So are you getting a draw still? When you hold your club square you were hitting a pull draw correct?

Yes, I was getting pull hooks. With the face change, everything is a fade with the driver. Still working on the 4w and hybrid which have also been giving me some troubles. It is crazy, because with the improved hips, you would think I would have no issues hitting fades. I am not sure what has changed exactly, other than I consistently have a flatter left wrist at the top this year than I did last year, so the club is a bit more shut.

Nate

As I was saying this has to pretty much be the main reason for the hooks here.  I am in a very closed position at A4 on the right compared to late last summer on the left.  Even though the hips are  improving, I will probably hook from this spot if I do not have that face open to begin with.

Nate

Note: This thread is 975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!