IGNORED

Any other high-cappers out there HATE wide soled clubs?

Note: This thread is 4075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. I'm a high handicap and...

• Love wide soles on my irons
    • Hate wide soles on my irons

Originally Posted by colin007

i am a high handicap and i hate wide soles and thick toplines.

What about fat chicks? LOL.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Welcome to the wank support group!

The first step is to admit that you have a problem......!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

The first step is to admit that you have a problem......!

The first rule is you do not talk about the Wank Support Group!

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I don't play alot of golf, more than some, less than most.  I wouldn't even consider myself that good (better than some, worse than most)

That being said, I have NEVER seen a playing partner comment on the look of somebody's golf bag, but have seen people comment on the look of a shot, the result, the ball flight, etc.

As for the person who compared golf clubs to a house / car / clothing, I think that is a totally unfair comparison (well maybe clothing is fair)

I prefer to think of golf clubs as tools, similar to a caprenters hammer.  The end result (in the case of golf, the score card) (in the case of a cabinet builder, the furniture) will speak far louder than the tools that person uses to get the job done.

Case in point, I have a fairly nice set (albeit small) of tools, my uncle (a full time handyman) has a truck full of ratty old beat up tools.  And I PROMISE you, nobody would hire me to refinish a bathroom, and his results are always first class.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I don't care about other people's clubs, I am talking about my preferences (and/or hangups) and was wonder how others felt. By all means play what works for you.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:

That being said, I have NEVER seen a playing partner comment on the look of somebody's golf bag, but have seen people comment on the look of a shot, the result, the ball flight, etc.

Maybe not so much a golf bag but, I have seen MANY times where players oooh and aaahh over other players' clubs, especially if they are newly acquired.

Quote:

As for the person who compared golf clubs to a house / car / clothing, I think that is a totally unfair comparison (well maybe clothing is fair)

Why? A house is a tool that shelters you, a car is a tool that moves you about.

Quote:
I prefer to think of golf clubs as tools, similar to a caprenters hammer.  The end result (in the case of golf, the score card) (in the case of a cabinet builder, the furniture) will speak far louder than the tools that person uses to get the job done.

But, tradespeople often ooooh and aaahh over their tools as well. (Think of Tim on Home Improvement drooling over a nice table saw)

dak4n6

Originally Posted by David in FL

Are you kidding me?!

The look of ANY club is important to most golfers. The right club, whether iron or wood, inspires confidence and a whole host of positive thoughts and emotions that can translate to better play and more enjoyment in the game. The converse can be true for a club that doesn't "fit" the individual player's eye. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, which is one reason there are so many different looks and styles of irons, drivers, fairway woods, hybrids, and putters......good God, do we need to talk about the PUTTERS?!......out there.

Your post reflects a lack of understanding of how critical a player's psychological mindset can be in determining how well or poorly they play on any given day.....

......either that or you were just trying to be insulting. If so, you succeeded nicely.

There's a general snootyness about "game improvement" irons. It's like "oh I could never use those......they're shovels". Sorry, but that's wank

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I probably should have worded things differently. I certainly wasn't intending to disparage anyone's choice in irons.

There is nothing wrong with shovels, I just can't get comfortable with them, which is too bad as I could use the help

Mate, I saw Callaway had made some new drivers.......with different colours on them.

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Quote:

There's a general snootyness about "game improvement" irons. It's like "oh I could never use those......they're shovels". Sorry, but that's wank

Well, at least it answers my question.  You're trying to be intentionally insulting.  Got it.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Mate, I saw Callaway had made some new drivers.......with different colours on them.

Not sure if you have a point here...if so, it was lost on me. Sorry.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

@logman

look, if a SGI doesnt inspire confidence, how are you going to hit it well?  i happen to have more confidence looking at a sleeker profile.  its not wank.

Colin P.

Yeah but there's all the crap around the "game improvement" or the "players irons". The distinctions are a fantasy probably invented by guys who are better golfers and want to separate themselves from the schmucks who have........ perimeter weighting!!!!!........NO.... NOT perimeter weighting!!!!

Golfers are a breed. I can't think of another sport where other players look at your equipment to see what sort of player you are. " HMMmmm, he has .....EEEeeekk, perimeter weighting........but I have forged blades......Therefore I'm a proper player. Ha!

So much of a golfers self worth is tied up in the style of their sticks. The brand, last years model(icky), the colour, even those guys that just have to have stiff shafts in their irons........even though they swing at half rat power. Ego, Machismo, self delusion.........wank!

Agreed. My first set was 2004 Big Bertha's. Fugly to say the least and I did not play them very well. Traded them for a set of RAC LTs and watched my scores go down from there.

TaylorMade R11S 9 Degree

TaylorMade R5 Dual 3 Wood
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 19 and 22 degree
Ping Eye 2 Plus Irons 4-SW
Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade putter

Note: This thread is 4075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!