IGNORED

2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343)

iacas
Note: This thread is 4017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by turtleback

Keep going.  All you are doing is confirming your own low class.

I never said I said that I had class. What I said was that Eldrick has no class....

Originally Posted by atb5079

Is it too soon to talk US Open 13 at Merion? haha

I would love to start talking about Merion! That sounds a hell of a lot better than the continual flogging of the dead horse until is remains are rendered unidentifiable, as has been happening in this thread for the last two days.

I think the US Open is going to be a crapshoot. There hasn't been a major winner from outside the ranks of the usual suspects since, I guess, Darren Clarke at Sandwich two years ago. Merion's such a quirky course, and one that hasn't hosted the top professionals since our most recent major winner was in diapers, that I reckon the big names are going to struggle.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

I would love to start talking about Merion! That sounds a hell of a lot better than the continual flogging of the dead horse until is remains are rendered unidentifiable, as has been happening in this thread for the last two days.

I think the US Open is going to be a crapshoot. There hasn't been a major winner from outside the ranks of the usual suspects since, I guess, Darren Clarke at Sandwich two years ago. Merion's such a quirky course, and one that hasn't hosted the top professionals since our most recent major winner was in diapers, that I reckon the big names are going to struggle.

I dont think it will be as much of a crap shoot as you may think. Merion's layout really narrows down a lot of players based off needs. You need to be very accurate and you need to putt well. Augusta you can tolerate being in the rough. Merion you cannot. Merion has quite possibly the narrowest fairways around. And the greens are absurd. Guys like Gmac, Snedeker, Simpson, Furyk, ZJ could fair very well there. If Sergio can get lucky/hot like Scott just was with the putter, he actually might have a good shot. DJ, Bubba, Rory will in no way fair well at Merion.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I have a technical question about rule 26.

26-1. Relief for Ball in Water Hazard

It is a question of fact whether a ball that has not been found after having been struck toward a water hazard is in the hazard. In the absence of knowledge or virtual certainty that a ball struck toward a water hazard, but not found, is in the hazard, the player must proceed under Rule 27-1.

If a ball is found in a water hazard or if it is known or virtually certain that a ball that has not been found is in the water hazard (whether the ball lies in water or not), the player may under penalty of one stroke:

a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped; or

c. As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.

When proceeding under this Rule, the player may lift and clean his ball or substitute a ball.

I made some parts in bold text.  Under 26-1b and 26-1c it is clear that the ball is to be dropped.  But under 26-1a it never says drop the ball at all, it says to play the ball as near as possible...  I would suppose dropping it would not violate the rule, but the question I am asking is whether it would be alright to just skip the drop and place the ball as you would if it had have rolled into a hazard or rolled more than two club lengths, etc.

For what it's worth, the language from rule 27-1, (which is referenced in 26-1a) also uses the language play a ball , and does not mention dropping a ball .

What say ye?

Originally Posted by cheetahpilot

I have a technical question about rule 26.

I made some parts in bold text.  Under 26-1b and 26-1c it is clear that the ball is to be dropped.  But under 26-1a it never says drop the ball at all, it says to play the ball as near as possible...  I would suppose dropping it would not violate the rule, but the question I am asking is whether it would be alright to just skip the drop and place the ball as you would if it had have rolled into a hazard or rolled more than two club lengths, etc.

For what it's worth, the language from rule 27-1, (which is referenced in 26-1a) also uses the language play a ball, and does not mention dropping a ball.

What say ye?

Your shot that ended up in the water hazard may have been a putt (we've all putted off the green once or twice). On the green you'd place the ball, anywhere else on the course you'd drop the ball as nearly as possible to the point where you played your last stroke.

Mordan, if someone had asked me this question I would have given the same answer you just gave me.  But if asked to show it to them in the rules I would fall flat.  Can you make your case based on a rule or official interpretation, please?  I see no requirement that the ball be dropped under rule 26-1a or anyplace in rule 27-1.

edit:  I think I have found it.  Just as rule 26-1a references rule 27-1, rule 27-1 also references rule 20-5.  Rule 20-5b says the ball must be dropped.

Well we can all say Steve Williams is 1 closer to Jack's major title's

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

I dont think it will be as much of a crap shoot as you may think. Merion's layout really narrows down a lot of players based off needs. You need to be very accurate and you need to putt well. Augusta you can tolerate being in the rough. Merion you cannot. Merion has quite possibly the narrowest fairways around. And the greens are absurd. Guys like Gmac, Snedeker, Simpson, Furyk, ZJ could fair very well there. If Sergio can get lucky/hot like Scott just was with the putter, he actually might have a good shot. DJ, Bubba, Rory will in no way fair well at Merion.

Hope snatched away, "you need to be very accurate" yeah Lee can win, "you need to putt well" prehaps not.

Is it short enough that Tiger and Rory can hit irons/5 woods around it?

Sounds like Luke Donald would have a decent chance there if he's in form.

What was in AS's bag?
Scott used this Titleist equipment to earn his victory at the 2013 Masters:

DRIVER: Titleist 913D3 (9.5 degree) with a Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8 shaft

FAIRWAY WOOD: Titleist 910F.d (15 degree) with a Rombax Pro 95 shaft

IRONS: Titleist 712U (2) and 710 MB (3-9) with KBS Tour shafts

WEDGES: Titleist Vokey Design SM4 (48, 54 degree) and Vokey Design TVD (60 degree) with KBS Tour shafts

PUTTER: Scotty Cameron for Titleist Futura X prototype

BALL: Titleist Pro V1

http://golfweek.com/news/2013/apr/14/masters-adam-scott-equipment/

Originally Posted by Chris E

I'm in a hurry and haven't read the thread since yesterday morning, but has anybody posted this?

http://www.augusta.com/masters/story/blog/woods-receives-2-shot-penalty-stays-tournament

It looks like he is basically in the same place. 2 yards back????

I can't tell, but just in case you're serious and not taking the piss, yes Woods dropped about two yards back from where he hit his original shot and thus was assessed a two shot penalty for not dropping as nearly as possible in the same spot.

Adam Scott is building a great resume. 9 PGA wins, several on other tours, the Augusta magic got a hold of him this weekend.

A exquisite display of putting won the tournament, sadly its just going to feed the anchored putting fiasco in a way that it has not been fed before.

I'd say that 18 through the whole playoff was the most exciting masters action I can remember. Hats off to Cabrera for being a real sportsman as well.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did we all hear his interview after he got the penalty?

Quote:

I can repeat the same golfshot.

The reason i went 2 yards back was to make sure i didn't hit the flag again.

He is still an amazing human being.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Originally Posted by clutchshot

Got to bring this up...

By my math, Tiger would have been in that playoff if he wouldn't have hit that flagpole...

Would he have won?

By my math, Couples would have won if he didn't blow it on the weekend...again.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!